Poetry Magnum Opus
tonyv

The PMO Board Question and Answer Topic

tonyv

A few board features you might find useful (click on the mini images for a slightly larger view) ...

1. Click here to switch between the standard and rich text editors:

standard_and_rich_text_toggle.JPG

(right hand side corner of editor tools)

2. Switch the skin color themes here:

skin_selector.JPG

(bottom left corner of the page)

3. Switch between message board display modes:

display_modes.JPG

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

tonyv

When updating your profiles, in addition to changing your passwords, please be sure to enter your current email address. Just click on "My Controls" up at the top. When the screen opens, on the left hand side, down at the bottom, under "Options" is "Change email address." You will have to enter your email address twice, your password, and the graphic code displayed on the screen.

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

tonyv

Here's the button to click (red arrow) for making links:

link_for_archive.JPG

A small screen will open. Enter the url (from the address bar at the top of the page) you would like the link to point to. Then, another small screen will open, and you can add the text you would like the link to display. Or, if you want to make a word or phrase that is already there a link, just select/highlight the word, click on the link button, add the link in the empty field, click OK, and you're done!

tonyv

Our board has a neat feature of which most members haven't yet taken advantage. It's the MEMBER ARCHIVE. We wanted members to have a clean index to their poems so that they could easily locate them without having to use the typical search feature and sift and filter through all posts.

Part of my own vision for this board has been that the board would serve as a repository where writers can publish, share, and archive their works. The Member Archive is an easy way each writer could find his poems -- I use mine all the time to locate my poems -- and each member with an archive topic would be able to do the same. If he ever wanted to share his poems with someone else (even someone who is not a member), he could simply pass along one convenient link to an index of all his poems.

It has occurred to us that there may be some members who might not be able to make such a topic for him- or herself. If anyone would like us to make a Member Archive index for him, please respond to this topic. You could easily say "Yes, include all my prose and poems," or you could say "pm sent" and send us a pm with a list of only those works you would like included. (We don't want to presume you want links to all your works to appear in your index.) Alek does a nice job with these topics and links -- she updates mine all the time for me :) -- and we (she :) okay, me, too :) ) would be happy to do this for anyone who is interested.

Tony

goldenlangur
It has occurred to us that there may be some members who might not be able to make such a topic for him- or herself. If anyone would like us to make a Member Archive index for him, please respond to this topic. You could easily say "Yes, include all my prose and poems," or you could say "pm sent" and send us a pm with a list of only those works you would like included. (We don't want to presume you want links to all your works to appear in your index.) Alek does a nice job with these topics and links -- she updates mine all the time for me :) -- and we (she :) okay, me, too :) ) would be happy to do this for anyone who is interested.

Tony

Thank you for addressing this, Tony.

Yes, I would like some help. Some members have quite adeptly managed to set up their archives. I would love to learn how to do this myself. If it is not too much trouble would you or Alexander pm me some instructions on how to go about it?

Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind I recall you sending me some links, Tony but I confess I don't have these now. :icon_redface:

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

goldenlangur

Another request ( admittedly not connected to the setting up of Archive) - the use of images from the apod site you posted Tony. All my endeavours to use any of the images failed. Is this a copyright issue? How does one change the size of an image to import from computer or website to PMO?

Sorry to bother you with such inane questions.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

tonyv
Thank you for addressing this, Tony.

Yes, I would like some help. Some members have quite adeptly managed to set up their archives. I would love to learn how to do this myself.

It's not so hard to do, but it can be a bit tedious. First, you find one of your poems on the site which you would like to include in your archive topic. When you've found it, you copy the information that's in the address bar at the top of the page to your computer's memory by highlighting it and clicking Ctrl+C, or right click and copy (on Windows, not sure about Mac, but it's something similar). Then, you go to your archive topic and, when your board editor is open, you click the "Insert Link" symbol. (It's the one with the "+" directly below the word Fonts.) A small submenu will open. Paste the page address which you previously saved to your computer's memory into the submenu by clicking Ctrl+V, or right click and paste (again, for Windows). Another small submenu will open. In that one, type in the title of your prose or poem. The code which will produce the link will then appear in your board editor. You can then click "Preview" to see it, or simply post it. Repeat these steps for each poem you want to add to your archive topic. Let us know if there are any problems -- we can help.

Another request ( admittedly not connected to the setting up of Archive) - the use of images from the apod site you posted Tony. All my endeavours to use any of the images failed. Is this a copyright issue? How does one change the size of an image to import from computer or website to PMO?

Pasting an image into one of your posts works essentially the same way, except you instead click the symbol immediately to the right of the "Insert Link" symbol. You then paste the address for the image into the submenu which opens and click OK. I tried a few from the apod site in a couple of test topics, and it worked. The board automatically resizes the images to a maximum size we initially prescribed.

One caveat: I think it's better if we don't paste images directly into our topics if they are copyrighted images from other sites like apod. The copyright issue is one thing, but the other issue that can be problematic is one of bandwidth. If an image hosted on another site is attached to one of our topics, it can be construed to be "theft of bandwidth." Every time someone opens the topic on our site, the image is downloaded from the other site's server. This is true even if the image is not copyrighted. If one wants to include an image in a topic, it's best if he first saves the image to his own web storage (even a free one, like Photobucket) and then attaches the image to his post using the Photobucket image address. I sometimes include a link to an image which inspired a poem in my topic. See, for example, the link at the bottom of my poem Antarctica. (Found that poem with the help of my handy archive topic. ;) )

Please don't hesitate to ask for more help if you need it. Using all the features of the editor can take time getting used to.

Tony :)

Larsen M. Callirhoe

ikeep all my poems in a archive list. i keep two dates when i posted on sites for that is like publishing them and the disk tells i keep my archives on tells me the las time i referenced any of my writing and poems. i do keep my poems in a referenced list. i do keep two listings of all my poems. the ones i think are good and my old ones all but a handull of my first 200 poems do i think is anygood. i acutually like the last 80 poems i have posted. my angels hae had a hand in all my recent poems. i want my poems to be sensual. my angels explain to me how to use metaphors to make someone remember a certain moment in their own life. i think that is neat. i know many who read this what i said are not ready for what i do because soon all will do this what i do.

goldenlangur

Hi Tony

I get here:

... First, you find one of your poems on the site which you would like to include in your archive topic. When you've found it, you copy the information that's in the address bar at the top of the page to your computer's memory by highlighting it and clicking Ctrl+C, or right click and copy (on Windows, not sure about Mac, but it's something similar). Then, you go to your archive topic and, when your board editor is open, you click the "Insert Link" symbol. (It's the one with the "+" directly below the word Fonts.)

And yes, a small submenu appears on the top of my screen with the message: PMO requires you to post the ULR here and I get two options: Cancel and Okay.

But I get no EDIT option on my screen to post the ULR in the submenu So I manually copied the ULR and then I get a message saying:

Add Visit my website title

So I copy the title of the topic here and yes I get something like Time Will Tell but when I click on the title I get the PMO Index page :icon_eek:

What am I doing wrong?

goldenlangur

tonyv
And yes, a small submenu appears on the top of my screen with the message: PMO requires you to post the ULR here and I get two options: Cancel and Okay.

But I get no EDIT option on my screen to post the ULR in the submenu So I manually copied the ULR and then I get a message saying:

Add Visit my website title

So I copy the title of the topic here and yes I get something like Time Will Tell but when I click on the title I get the PMO Index page :icon_eek:

What am I doing wrong?

I looked at the code you used, gl, and I saw at least one mistake -- there was a comma after www in lieu of a period -- so I didn't look further. I simply located "Time Will Tell" on the board, copied the url and pasted it to your archive topic, and it worked. You did all the steps correctly, including typing the title (that's why the words appeared in the archive topic), but one small mistake in copying the url is all it takes for the page to not direct correctly. Typing it in manually can easily lead to such mistakes. That's why it's best if you can find a way to use your computer to copy the address and paste it. With my Windows box, I just right click on the url and choose copy, place the cursor in the little window where the text goes when using the "insert link" tool, right click again and choose paste, then click ok. Not sure how to do it on a Mac, but Mac users might be able to put the cursor in the box and then use "Edit" and paste. But the cursor has to be placed in the box first for the paste feature to be available, I'm sure. (Also, the url has to be correctly copied into the computer's memory for the edit function to work even if the cursor is placed in the box.)

Tony

goldenlangur

Thank you Tony for all the trouble and patience.

I opened multiple windows to toggle the Archive Forum and the Members work in Prose and Poetry links .

Will try again.

goldenlangur

worm

I double clicked my comment by mistake, then both of them appeared on the screen. don't know how to delete the redundant one.

tonyv
I double clicked my comment by mistake, then both of them appeared on the screen. don't know how to delete the redundant one.

You can edit one of them by removing all the text and writing "delete" in its place or you can just leave it. When Alek or I see it, we'll delete it.

Tony

Lake

Tony,

What time zone is this forum in? Somewhere in Europe? I want to know the time difference between the time the forum shows and my local time. If you already answered this question before, please point me to the right place.

Thanks,

Lake

tonyv
Tony,

What time zone is this forum in? Somewhere in Europe? I want to know the time difference between the time the forum shows and my local time. If you already answered this question before, please point me to the right place.

Thanks,

Lake

Since we have an international membership, I set the board time for GMT/UTC instead of my own east coast United States time. But really there is no need to view the board in anything other than your local time. All you have to do is go into "My Controls." On the left hand side, in the Menu, go to "Options" and "Board Settings." There you can set your time zone to your local time, and all board times will be displayed as such so long as you are logged in. (Guests do not have this option and will continue to see times displayed in GMT.) If you are in Minnesota, Lake, you would choose "GMT-6:00 hours -- Central Time (US & Canada), Mexico City" to display your local time. I would also tick the box for "Auto Correct DST." And don't forget to scroll down and click "Change my Account Options" after making your selection.

Tony

worm

You can edit one of them by removing all the text and writing "delete" in its place or you can just leave it. When Alek or I see it, we'll delete it.

Tony

got it. thanks Tony.

moonqueen

Before I make a decision, I'd like to be sure I understand it correctly. In order to archive any piece here, it must be actually posted here, first? I have more pieces of work than I could post here in the rest of my days. Can any of it be copied in for archiving purposes the same way it's copied back from the hard drive, without first actually posting it for comment?

Thanks,

Tammi

Edited by moonqueen

tonyv
Before I make a decision, I'd like to be sure I understand it correctly. In order to archive any piece here, it must be actually posted here, first? I have more pieces of work than I could post here in the rest of my days. Can any of it be copied in for archiving purposes the same way it's copied back from the hard drive, without first actually posting it for comment?

Thanks,

Tammi

Tammi, I'm sorry. I posted a reply, but I deleted it. Let me think about this, and I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

Tony

moonqueen

Thanks,

Tammi

Tammi, I'm sorry. I posted a reply, but I deleted it. Let me think about this, and I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

Tony

Thanks

tonyv

If you have any board software questions, please post them here. Currently working on/looking into:

1. Display pictures on main page of board [solved]

2. The Reading forum (A poem I Read Today & Favorite Poets) will be invisible for a bit pending some cleanup.

If you come across any anomalies, please let us know of them in this topic.

Tony

goldenlangur

.... Please update yours when you get the chance.

Does updating mean clicking on the small change text that appears on the avatar.

I have clicked on this. Hopefully the avatar is now updated?

goldenlangur

tonyv

.... Please update yours when you get the chance.

Does updating mean clicking on the small change text that appears on the avatar.

I have clicked on this. Hopefully the avatar is now updated?

When youclick on "change" another small window should open, allowing you to browse your computer's files and find your avatar. If you can't find it, I'll see if I have it on a saved page here in my computer.

Tony :smile:

goldenlangur
When youclick on "change" another small window should open, allowing you to browse your computer's files and find your avatar. If you can't find it, I'll see if I have it on a saved page here in my computer.

Thank you, Tony for explaining. Appreciate your help. I will go back and see where my avatar is on the computer and update it.

goldenlangur

tonyv

Thank you, Tony for explaining. Appreciate your help. I will go back and see where my avatar is on the computer and update it.

Let me know, gl, if it still doesn't update, and I'll look into it further. If I click your profile, I see your avatar, but i don't see it next to your posts. There is one other tool I need to run anyway (something about rebuilding the cache), and I'll try that now to see if it helps, but I think that is only for post counts.