Poetry Magnum Opus

Chardonnay Summer

Tinker

Chardonnay Summer

The highway trickles down to a one horse country road
winding with the grace of a spring filly in fall.
Tall poplars line the lane as it ambles south and slows,
gravel underneath makes a crackle then a yawl.

The summer day has cooled with evening's mystic cloak
falling without sound upon the vineyard. I'm stayed
remembering green days when we walked to the gnarly oak
near the vines and laughed at nothing, unafraid.

Today like yesterday, the Chardonnay ripen on the vine,
our initials carved in the trunk of the tree
are visible still in the rough bark aged like the wine
we now savor beneath a grape leaf canopy.
                                                     ---Judi Van Gorder

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Tinker this poem has something what I can feel closer, knowing that I am familiar with vineyard. it is surprising for me the expression: " sound on the vineyard ". How I never remind of that one :D.

Your poem has a wonderful imagery and good sense of poetical spirit together with the tittle. I love the love feeling, and nostalgia all together with the landscape of the area.

Today like yesterday...

... shows the repetition what gives a mark to some tradition, which I love.

This poem gives a pleasure.

Thank you for sharing.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Larsen M. Callirhoe

hi tinker i wish i could drink wine everyday. in 2003 july i started drinking wine instead of beer. for threeyears i drank wine at least 15 days each month. i would of drank wine everyday but i couldn't afford it.

i do like chardonnay. i like merlot even better. merlot is my favorite wine. i taste the plums and grapes what a great combination of this dry red wine. i could drink merlot all the time. i like a very dry reisling white wine even though most of those vineyard wines are made to be sweet. i love eating cheese with a rose blush wine. not familiar with where this wine is made out of what type of vineyards though but it goes good with csharp cheddar cheese and swiss chesse in my opinion.

the peom just makes me think of wine. as always your poems judy paint such verse that few can touch in knowledge. i enjoyed this. this is my new favorite of yours, i could talk about wine all day. i know yeast is what makes wine alcoholic. i should research this. if i could afford it i would get a farm of vineyards and make my own wine lol. one of my drunk friends who drinks beers always recommended penot noir. i don't like that wine the fool. lol.

victor

Edited by Larsen M. Callirhoe

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Tears form in my eyes and my throat tightens as I read your words. Memories flood into my consciousness and I am there. I can touch the old oak and feel the carvings of yesterday that still make my old heart sing. It was good to be there. Thank you for the journey.

rg

Thank you Victor for this beautiful review. Growing up in wine country I never developed a taste for beer, that is other than at rodeo time. Nothing better than a few swallows of ice cold beer :)) on a hot July day outside in the dust of a rodeo... (but half a can is about all I can take, then it starts to taste like urine. ) :wacko:

Merlot is a really popular wine, especially with men , it is too heavy for me, I like a smoother wine. :wine2: My favorite wine is a good Cabernet Sauvignon and we have some wonderful wineries close by (Beringer, Korbel, Christian Brothers, Chateau St Jean, Iron Horse, Dry Creek Vinyards to name a few.) But I have to admit, my absolute favorite Cabernet Sauvignon is a French import, Louis Jardot..but it is expensive and hard to get and our California winerys do a respectable job producing a good Cabernet. My immediate area produces mostly Chardonnay and Cabernet grapes, but the Napa valley has a larger variety and it is just over the hill. Is that enough wine talk for you Victor? ~~ :icon_redface:

Thanks again for the nice review. ~~Tink

Frank E Gibbard

This is a crackerbarrel of rich description & Tink flows like a good glass of vino does. Frank

Larsen M. Callirhoe

hi tink aka judi,

i am still learning about wines. i like sherry and burgundy but they are to sweet for me since i am diabettic. i perfer drinking dry red wines or a very dry white wine. i have triet cabrenet sav, but as you said i agree it is allot smoother than merlot. i like merlot allot because it is not to sweet and it leaves several distant tastes when sipping.

i do have a question for you. you ever make wine yourself. how much yeast do you use to ferment one bottle of wine and a standard barrel of wine. you may be able to find someone who can answer these questions. i love another red wine but i had never heard of it before it is a something shiraz. it was a real sweat red wine. i liked it but it reminded me of burgundy. . my favorite pink wine of course is a rose blush.

im still learning about wine. if i hadn't got hurt i wouldve bought wine from two people and bouht large quanties like a couple cases of wine for cheaper. when i first got hurt i stopped drinking wine for awhile. i would of bought dry reisling white wine. it is 30 dollars a bottle. i would of paid around 500 dollars for two cases of 24 bottles of reisliing wine. i would of had to pay shipping but that is no big deal. this one guy used his wine store as a front to launder money. he always let me get a large bottle of amarato and a bottle of cheap white wines usually he would tell me what to try. i would try his specials for 3.99 and than under 10 dollars for a bottle of amarato. i drank amarato every night. usually one or two shots. this guy got busted by the law and left his family and country.

im going to start drinking merlot wine here in the nursing home every night. one 7 ounce cup every night. i love the fact one glass os healthy for you to drink a day.

anything you could teach me more about wine i want to learn but internet sites put to much opinions on wine for publicity of there wines lol.

talk soon :icon_sunny:

victor

Edited by Larsen M. Callirhoe

Larsen M. Callirhoe

A lovely, lyrical work, Tinker. How very California! Your rich NorCal imagery reminds me of the Eagles' Hotel California (though that was SoCal) minus the sinister elements. The title is perfect, too.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hi Tink,

Full of rich and sensuous imagery this is a a lyrical treat.

The final stanza weaves the personal and the landscape beautifully:

Today like yesterday, the Chardonnay ripen on the vine,

our initials carved in the trunk of the tree

are visible still in the rough bark aged like the wine

we now savor beneath a grape leaf canopy.

---Judi Van Gorder

So much to savour and enjoy in this.

Edited by goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Hi Victor, I have never made wine, but have friends who have vineyards and have tried their hand at making it. I never asked the actual process but know it takes time, and is not always successful. I am no expert on wine, I just enjoy a glass on occasion. I am surprised because of the drugs with which you are treated that the rest home gives you wine. But, I am glad that given your circumstance that you are given the enjoyment of a nice glass each night.

~~Tink

Hi Tony, Thanks for reading and your comment about the poem being Californian pleased me no end. I have often read a poem and felt like I was being transposed to the area the poet was describing. I tried on many occasions to do the same for my readers and share this beautiful country in which I live. This is the first time anyone has acknowledged the place with a name and I love it. Thanks again.

~~Tink

Hi gl, How nice to hear from you. I have missed reading your work. Nice to see you back.

My poem is a far cry from the exotic places you describe, but I can only write about places familiar to me. I am glad that through this piece you could picture and enjoy my home as I have so often enjoyed yours.

~~~Tink

Hi Victor, I have never made wine, but have friends who have vineyards and have tried their hand at making it.

Ah Tinker, just to see ME making wine :D. I go to the vineyard usualy for harvesting the grape and at home yard is mess with preparation of wine and brandy, but also we make wonderful how to call it... ouzo. and the most healthy - honey from grape ( I don't know the right translation ) :).

So except working on the board, at autumn I go to the vineyard too :D

The city where I live makes festivals for this ocasion, and also we become a city with wine - tourism, so you are welcome to try from our wine too ;).

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Oh Alek, I can just imagine you stomping the grapes. :icon_cool: This area too is a tourist haven for wine lovers. They tour the winerys going from tasting to tasting. In autumn the vinyards are their most beautiful here... They turn orange and red and purple and they are just gorgeous. We have much in common living on different sides of the world. I think Macedonia is a place I would like to visit.

~~Tink

goldenlangur

It's great to read your work again. :D

My poem is a far cry from the exotic places you describe, but I can only write about places familiar to me. I am glad that through this piece you could picture and enjoy my home as I have so often enjoyed yours.

~~~Tink

Indeed Tink you bring your landscape alive in all the colors, scents and light and for someone like me this is wonderfully exotic!

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Tinker,

a rich and lovely work- Reminds me a bit of "Sideways" (?) The movie ;-) Really a picturesque and beautiful work. I didn't read all the responses, but have you tried the cakebread or Silver Oak- 2 of my favs.

Really a nice and pleasent piece that wraps me fully in its images...

Many Thanks for sharing.

DC

Hi DC, Thank you for the nice words. You are not far from here. I have to admit to embellishing the landscape a bit for the poem... As you know poplars aren't normally found up here, but eucalyptus just didn't have the right rhythm. It is a bit of idyllic setting but that was the intent of the poem. LOL, and my husband would never have carved our intitials in a tree he was never the "romantic" sort, but somehow we have survived together for 47 years.

I haven't tried any of the Cakebread wines but Silver Oak makes a respectable Cabernet. I have been by Cakebread and thought it an odd name for a winery but since you give it a mention, I guess I will have to look for the label and try it out. Thanks.

~~Tink