Poetry Magnum Opus

Invective Verse / Lampoon

Tinker

Explore the Craft of Writing Poetry
Latin Verse

Invective Verse is a genre of poetry that has its roots in ancient Greece but blossomed in ancient Rome. This genre includes denunciatory or abusive language attacking political and public figures with a slightly satirical tone. Although most were written "anonymously", Catullus, Cicero, and Juvenal seemed to have no problem taking credit for their dabbling in the dark side. These were usually written in the form of epigrams.

• Lampoon is modern day Invective Verse. The modern poem can target anyone, not just politician or public figures and the frame of the poem is at the poet's discretion. (quatrains are still popular)

The elements of Invective Verse are:

1. caustic, derogatory and slightly satirical.
  2. written to denigrate public figures, politicians.
  3. usually written in Epigrams, short narrative quatrains, usually only 1, no more than two.
  4. composed with rhyme and meter at the poet's discretion.

I found this quote and poem at Kaleidoscope.com, which is the best resource that I have come across online for the study of the history of poetry. "One of Catullus's fiercer examples, expunged from most post-classical collections of his work until the 20th century, is his poem 16, written against two critics:"

"Cicero's In Pisonem, a hyperbolic attack on Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus, is one of the best-known political examples."

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,
    Aureli pathice et cinaede Furi
    qui me ex versiculis meis putastis,
    quod sunt molliculi, parum podicum. . .                             
    I'll bugger you and make you suck it,
    Aurelius the submissive and Furius the sodomite
    Who conclude, based on my verse,
    Which is voluptuous, that I am too little chaste. . .

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.