• Announcements

• tonyv

Registration -- to join PMO ***UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS***   03/14/2017

Automatic registration has been disabled. If you would like to join the Poetry Magnum Opus online community, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page and follow these instructions: 1. Check your email (including your spam folder) in a timely fashion for a reply. 2. After you receive a reply, use the "Sign Up" link at the top right corner of the page to create your account. Do this fast. I've lost my patience with people who use the "Contact Us" link to express interest in joining and then don't bother to check their email for a reply and don't bother to join after registration has been enabled. The queue fills up fast with spammers, and I have to spend my time sifting through the rubbish to delete them. The window of opportunity for joining will be short. I will not have my time wasted. If you don't check your email and you don't bother registering promptly, you will find that registration has been disabled and your future requests to join may go ignored. /s/ Tony ___________________ [Registration will only be enabled for a short while from the time your message is received, so please check your email for a reply and register within 12 hours of using the "Contact Us" link. (Be sure to check your spam folder if you don't see a reply to your message.)]
    • tonyv

IMPORTANT: re Logging In to PMO ***Attention Members***   03/15/2017

For security purposes, please use your email address when logging in to the site. This will prevent your account from being locked when malicious users try to log in to your account using your publicly visible display name. If you are unable to log in, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
    • tonyv

Blogs   05/01/2017

Blogs are now accessible to Guests. Guests may read and reply to blog entries. We'll see how this works out. If Guest participation becomes troublesome, I'll disable Guest access. Members are encouraged to make use of the PMO Members' Promotional Blog to promote their published works. Simply add your latest entry to the blog. Include relevant information (your name or screen name, poem title, periodical name, hyperlink to the site where published, etc). If you have a lot of them and feel you need your own blog, let me know, and I will try to accommodate you. Members are encouraged to continue also posting their promotional topics in the Promotions forum on the board itself which is better suited for archiving promotions.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tinker

Cambodia: Pathya Vat / Go Vat

2 posts in this topic

Explore the Craft of Writing Poetry
Southeast Asian Verse

Cambodia is found in Southeast Asia bordered by Viet Nam, Thailand and Loas. Until the 19th century most documents were written on the Tra leaf. "Tra leaf books record information on legends of the Khmer people, the Ramayana, the origin of Buddhism and other prayer book series. They are greatly taken care of and wrapped in cloth as to protect from moisture and the jungle climate." Wikipedia. Some of the prayers may be written in verse but I can find nothing to confirm this. It is only since the 19th century that I can find any recognition of poetry and even then it was not written to be read but to be performed, often recited or sung.

It seems early Cambodian poetry was usually religious in nature. Contemporary Cambodian poetry found in English often describes experiences and expresses the emotions of a people who have survived genocide. In the 1970's the Khmer Rouge attempted to turn back the clock to the 11th century and wipe out all intellectualism in the country. Destroying temples, libraries, denying Western medicine and killing over a million Cambodians. Pol Pot and his armies targeted ethnic minority groups, teachers, doctors and lawyers.

Khnhomm saum bangkum           
champuoh Preah Puth
trung kung khpuoh phott
leu trai loka
Neam Preah Kodamm
baramm sasda
chambang leu moha
neak prach taing lay,

Translation

I salute
the Lord Buddha
who resides the highest
of the tri-world.
The name is Preah Kodamm             
the Supreme
who is greater than
all sages.

from Corpse Watching by Sarith PeouTinfish Press 2007

"The river is swollen
The current is strong
Corpses float by all day long."

• The Go Vat is a stanzaic form which according the Poet's Garrett apparently was popular in Cambodia in the late 1800s. The line length and refrain are suspected to be influenced by the French who colonized Cambodia during that period. The elements of the Go Vat are:
    1. stanzaic, written in any number of tercets.
    2. syllabic, each line is most commonly 8 syllables.
    3. rhymed, turned on only 2 rhymes, aaB aaB aaB etc.
    4. written with a refrain. L3 of each tercet is a repetition of either the whole or part of L3 of the 1st tercet.

• Pathya Vat is a Cambodian stanzaic form that I first found at Vol Central. The Pathya Vat is meant to be performed and apparently taught to Buddhist monks in training. The style of religious recitation is as important as the content. According to Bob Neuman the presenters can use any one of these styles, kmeng vatt - temple boy, piporanea - description, tumnuonh - grief, smaut- reciting, kamhoeung - anger, chbapp - traditional code, ka-ek lot - crow hops and ka-ek baul - crow calls. If I run across an audio of one or more of these styles I will provide a link. But for now we can only use our imaginations. The form dominates about 70% of Cambodian Buddhist song texts.  The elements of the Pathya Vat are:
    1. syllabic, each line is 4 syllables
    2. stanzaic, written in any number of quatrains.
    3. rhymed. Rhyme scheme xaab xbbc xccd etc x being unrhymed. Note: A unique chain effect occurs in this rhyme linking the middle lines of subsequent stanzas to the last line of the previous stanza.

98 BMW 540i by Judi Van Gorder

Beamer for sale
      a special car
      not a Jaguar
      not a canoe

lots of dollars
      I paid when new
      a midnight blue
      who wants to buy?

so few miles
      easy on the eye
      do not be shy