Poetry Magnum Opus

Eintou

Tinker

Explore the Craft of Writing
American Verse

The Eintou (West African for pearl as in pearls of wisdom) is an African American verse form unique to the culture and embracing some of the elements of jazz and blues. It is a structured form that separates itself from Rap and the Performance Poetry of Def Jam that we have recently become so accustomed to hearing. And still the verse encourages use of "racial flavor" in imagery, humor and language. The content should reflect the philosophy that "we flow from and through and ultimately return to that from which we came." Beyond Poetry

The elements of the Eintou are:

1. a septastich, a poem in 7 lines.
  2. syllabic, 2-4-6-8-6-4-2 (the meter is representative of the cyclical flow of life, growth and return).
  3. reflective of the African American experience in imagery, language and humor.
  4. centered on the page to create the shape of a pearl.

Not being of African American descent I feel my own example of the form will fall far short of the mark. I will seek a piece that is truly representative of the African American community and if I can't obtain permission for its use, I will at least post a link when found. This was my original intent but since then I have seen all manner of subjects written in the frame and name of the Eientou so I've decided to give it a try.

I See You

These days,
"Black Lives Matter"
has become a movement,
a catchphrase for racial justice.
Look at me, see my worth.
Yes, life matters,
mine too.
                       ~~jvg

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.