incandescent tracery of paths.

Outline of a face flickers

in the dark.

The front gate clicks open.

But no footsteps sound

in the cobbled courtyard.

It is cold and silent.

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Hi badge,

I'm so glad that the atmosphere of the moment came through:

Your poem oozes atmosphere. Very much enjoyed.

badge

Thank you. :smile:

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Hi abstract,

I like your reading of 'chilling'. It is one of those instances, when a reader adds something to a piece and enriches it. :smile:

Chilling. I especially like the line:

Ravens, fields and peaks meld

into the valleys’ dark mouth.

Delighted too that the lines you've quoted carried some impact.

Thank you.

goldenlangur

A genteel language and innocent imagery which altered in the last stanza, to prompt a mood reminiscent of De la Mare's famous poem, "The Listeners". Enjoyed. Benjamin

Thank you Benjamin for your reply. I had to read "The Listeners" to understand

your post (the mood is a bit reminiscent!) and it led me to look up Walter de la Mare's other work.

I am working my way through a collection of his poetry now and am enjoying it.

Goldenlangur: I would be curious to know what the story behind your poem is, if you know, and would like to tell.

Hi Benjamin,

The Listeners is one of my all-time favorites and I'm delighted that my little piece reminded you of this poem: :smile:

A genteel language and innocent imagery which altered in the last stanza, to prompt a mood reminiscent of De la Mare's famous poem, "The Listeners". Enjoyed. Benjamin

Thank you.

goldenlangur

Hi again,

Very good of you to ask. :smile: At this time of the year (Late Fall/autumn ) we have family rites which include special offerings for the loved ones whom we have lost. The juniper and sandalwood incense and the cymbals and thigh-bone trumpets accompany the rites. The rite is performed by monks. the There's a local belief that at the time of such offerings the dead return briefly.

Goldenlangur: I would be curious to know what the story behind your poem is, if you know, and would like to tell.

I hope this gives you some background to the poem. :smile:

goldenlangur

Hi Tink,

As ever, you're generous and encouraging: :smile:

Hi GL, As usual your imagery surprises me. You deliver a mood with the unexpected. I really enjoyed reading this, it is fresh and current yet ancient and haunting.

~~Tink

I'm pleased that the imagery works.

Thank you.

goldenlangur

Golden, As always this is just fantastic work- Hungry Ghosts came to mind and was gratified to see it was an ancestor ceremony- Really enjoyed! Many Thanks! DC&J

David W. Parsley

Words - the right and beautiful words - spare as the edge of a bitter wind. Combines an Algernon Blackwood ability to draw on what is "out there" with what haunts from within (yes, like de la Mare's Listeners).

- Dave

Maybe just the word choice, but this takes me to a barren place near Mexico. I get the feeling of sitting by a greasewood fire, looking across the river, maybe from Arizona. Looking around for my jerky.

Golden, As always this is just fantastic work- Hungry Ghosts came to mind and was gratified to see it was an ancestor ceremony- Really enjoyed! Many Thanks! DC&J

Many thanks, DC&J. You're absolutely spot on - it is an ancestor ceremony. :smile:

goldenlangur

lovely work this i must say

Thank you for the read and your kind words. :smile:

goldenlangur

Maybe just the word choice, but this takes me to a barren place near Mexico.

How wonderful that this piece reminded you of a barren place near Mexico.

This brings a big :smile: :

I get the feeling of sitting by a greasewood fire, looking across the river, maybe from Arizona. Looking around for my jerky.

Thank you.

goldenlangur

• 3 months later...

This one has a mystical, supernatural, trascendental mood to it. And though it's set on the other side of the world, I can understand the Mexico association. It's very Day of the Dead. Setting, length, ambiance -- I like everything about this poem, Goldenlangur.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Ravens, fields and peaks meld

into the valley's’ dark mouth.

Well, GL :) those were my favorite lines, my taste of verses. But that's not all. I loved all the poem. How good after some time to read you again. I enjoyed reading this poem. Great, as always :)

Thank you for sharing it.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia