Poetry Magnum Opus
  • Announcements

• tonyv

Registration -- to join PMO ***UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS***   03/14/2017

Automatic registration has been disabled. If you would like to join the Poetry Magnum Opus online community, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page and follow these instructions: 1. Check your email (including your spam folder) in a timely fashion for a reply. 2. After you receive a reply, use the "Sign Up" link at the top right corner of the page to create your account. Do this fast. I've lost my patience with people who use the "Contact Us" link to express interest in joining and then don't bother to check their email for a reply and don't bother to join after registration has been enabled. The queue fills up fast with spammers, and I have to spend my time sifting through the rubbish to delete them. The window of opportunity for joining will be short. I will not have my time wasted. If you don't check your email and you don't bother registering promptly, you will find that registration has been disabled and your future requests to join may go ignored. /s/ Tony ___________________ [Registration will only be enabled for a short while from the time your message is received, so please check your email for a reply and register within 12 hours of using the "Contact Us" link. (Be sure to check your spam folder if you don't see a reply to your message.)]
    • tonyv

IMPORTANT: re Logging In to PMO ***Attention Members***   03/15/2017

For security purposes, please use your email address when logging in to the site. This will prevent your account from being locked when malicious users try to log in to your account using your publicly visible display name. If you are unable to log in, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
    • tonyv

Blogs   05/01/2017

Blogs are now accessible to Guests. Guests may read and reply to blog entries. We'll see how this works out. If Guest participation becomes troublesome, I'll disable Guest access. Members are encouraged to make use of the PMO Members' Promotional Blog to promote their published works. Simply add your latest entry to the blog. Include relevant information (your name or screen name, poem title, periodical name, hyperlink to the site where published, etc). If you have a lot of them and feel you need your own blog, let me know, and I will try to accommodate you. Members are encouraged to continue also posting their promotional topics in the Promotions forum on the board itself which is better suited for archiving promotions.
badger11

Who am I?

revision two

I bundle my old clothes into a corner

and I stare into space

Over the bridge

is where the rough kids fight

with sticks and stones and knives

Across the road

is where the posh kids rule

with brand new bikes

Next door's garden

is where the noisy kids scream

above the telly noise

Over the school yard

is where the crying kids run

and fail to hide

On the mud field

is where the bigger kids play

to make them men

Within the class

is where the clever kids find

all the answers

Behind the toilets

is where the coughing kids smoke

and talk of sex

Beyond the fence

is where the sleepy kids skip French

to practise tongues

Beneath the climbing tree

is where the dead kid whispers

in endless days

The shadow bundles me into a corner

and I stare into space

revision one

I bundle my old clothes into a corner

and I stare into space

Near the red bridge

is where the rougher kids fight

with stones and knives

Across the road

is where the posher kids rule

with brand new bikes

Next door's garden

is where the louder kids scream

above telly noise

Over the yard

and fail to hide

On the mud field

to make them men

Within the class

is where the clever kids find

all the answers

Behind toilets

and talk of sex

Beyond the fence

is where the sleepy kids skip

double physics

Beneath the tree

in endless days

and I stare into space

========================================================================

original

I bundle my clothes into a corner

and stare into space

Over the bridge

is where the rough kids fight

with sticks and stones and knives

Across the road

is where the posh kids rule

because of their dad

Next door's garden

is where the noisy kids scream

above the telly noise

Over the school yard

and fail to hide

On the rugby field

to make them men

Within the classroom

is where the clever kids find answers

in the back of the book

Behind the boys toilets

and talk of sex

Beyond the spiky fence

is where the sleepy kids skip French

to practise tongues

Beneath the climbing tree

in endless days

and I stare into space

Who told you the original lacked structure? On my first read of this revised version, I concluded that I like most parts of the original more. The first two lines was one of those parts. I didn't see why it was necessary to add "I" to L2 until I got to the last couplet. Then it became clear that it makes sense for first to match last. Upon subsequent readings, I began to appreciate some of the changes in the revised version. I'll take it verse by verse.

I don't see that it benefits the poem to specify that the bridge is red. I mean, it's okay, it's nice, but it doesn't add anything relevant. Maybe if it were to tie in to something later, but it doesn't. And I'm not sure why you changed "over" to "near." I liked "over" because it added that "other side of the tracks" feel to where the rough kids fight. Also (and this goes for later verses, too) I'm not sure why you changed adjectives like "rough" to "rougher." I liked "with sticks and stones and knives" and saw value in the incorporation of the "sticks and stones" cliche. The speaker doesn't run with that crowd; words may hurt him, but he is away from the sticks and stones.

I prefer "posh" to "posher," but I love "with brand new bikes." The reader can infer the part about the parents.

I prefer "noisy." It gives more of an ongoing feel. Not sure why you omitted the article in front of "telly."

"School yard" was more clear, but "over the yard" reads better. It's a tough call, but either way is okay.

I like that you replaced "rugby" with "mud." That way it's not limited and can also be "American" football or soccer. "Bigger" is good in this verse, but I think "big" would work, too.

"Within the classroom," "within the class," and "in the classroom" are all okay. I like the change to find/all the answers.

"Coughing" is a good change. Omission of "boys'" is good. Not sure about the omission of the article. I think it's needed. It's not all toilets everywhere, it's the toilets in this world of classrooms, schoolyards, and sports fields.

I'm glad you got rid of "spiky." This revised verse with "double physics" is flawless, but I also liked the unusual implications of "French" and "practise tongues."

I'm not sure how I feel about the omission of "climbing." It reads better without it, but "climbing tree" fit better with the whole kids motif. Then again, maybe it's better without. Why would the dead kid be buried under the climbing tree? Perhaps a tree in the graveyard ... but that can be a climbing tree, too! :tongue:

The last couplet could even be reworded as such:

The shadows bundle me into a corner

and I stare into space.

That's all I have. Rush, anyone?

Tony

Thank you for your detailed comments Tony, which make artistic and rational sense. Hence I have edited on the basis of your pointers!

The structure/framework of a poem - whether constructed/framed with metre, syllables, repetitions, a soundscape of assonance/alliteration etc - I think provides a challenge that sometimes leads to compromises and other times stimulates invention.

The invitation to be more structured at least led me to 'mud' :rolleyes:

as always many thanks

badge

no matter what badger this poem is a sure winner. i would have the same take as tony all but the mud field. i like rugby better. some might not correlate mud field with becoming men. i played tackle football on the mud field. it was called kill the man with the ball. i don't think you could say that or incorporate this into the poem. regardless this was well worth the read time and effort.

victor

Thank you Victor. I take your point that a particular sport would be more relevant to some, but then again I suppose it would exclude others.

badge