Poetry Magnum Opus
  • Announcements

• tonyv

Registration -- to join PMO ***UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS***   03/14/2017

Automatic registration has been disabled. If you would like to join the Poetry Magnum Opus online community, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page and follow these instructions: 1. Check your email (including your spam folder) in a timely fashion for a reply. 2. After you receive a reply, use the "Sign Up" link at the top right corner of the page to create your account. Do this fast. I've lost my patience with people who use the "Contact Us" link to express interest in joining and then don't bother to check their email for a reply and don't bother to join after registration has been enabled. The queue fills up fast with spammers, and I have to spend my time sifting through the rubbish to delete them. The window of opportunity for joining will be short. I will not have my time wasted. If you don't check your email and you don't bother registering promptly, you will find that registration has been disabled and your future requests to join may go ignored. /s/ Tony ___________________ [Registration will only be enabled for a short while from the time your message is received, so please check your email for a reply and register within 12 hours of using the "Contact Us" link. (Be sure to check your spam folder if you don't see a reply to your message.)]
    • tonyv

IMPORTANT: re Logging In to PMO ***Attention Members***   03/15/2017

For security purposes, please use your email address when logging in to the site. This will prevent your account from being locked when malicious users try to log in to your account using your publicly visible display name. If you are unable to log in, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
    • tonyv

Blogs   05/01/2017

Blogs are now accessible to Guests. Guests may read and reply to blog entries. We'll see how this works out. If Guest participation becomes troublesome, I'll disable Guest access. Members are encouraged to make use of the PMO Members' Promotional Blog to promote their published works. Simply add your latest entry to the blog. Include relevant information (your name or screen name, poem title, periodical name, hyperlink to the site where published, etc). If you have a lot of them and feel you need your own blog, let me know, and I will try to accommodate you. Members are encouraged to continue also posting their promotional topics in the Promotions forum on the board itself which is better suited for archiving promotions.
badger11

William

revision

An Aynsley vase of plastic daffodils

now gathers dust. Alone, she writes with pencil

shaping this hum to word and reads aloud

to taste the flavours, touch textures of sound.

He sips brandy and reads in solitude

that page where letters stare so weathered old

in graphite grey; with loving care his thumb

smudges a cloud, a word no longer heard.

=====================================================================================

original

now gathers dust. Alone she writes with pencil

shaping this hum to word, and reads aloud

to taste a flavour, touch a texture of sound.

He sips a brandy, reads in solitude

a page where letters stare so weathered old

in graphite grey, until with care his thumb

smudges a cloud, a word no longer heard.

===============================================================================

Any thoughts on the prosody of this would be very much appreciated

thanks

badge

Your verse is often in iambic pentameter, and I don't know if you do it with conscious effort or not. If the syntax comes naturally to you like that, it's evidence of the command you have over the English language. You are, after all, a native English speaker, and it's not surprising to see the meter, because English is, by it's very nature, primarily an iambic language. That's a linguistic fact. Even prose (especially well written prose) is predominantly and substantially iambic. When a native English speaker who has command of the language composes a poem in iambic pentameter, whether he tries to or not, he harnesses the true natural beauty of the English language by default. It can't be helped. It can only be consciously, by intent, avoided.

Frost said there are only two types of iambics, "strict" and "loose." Loose contains anapests, strict does not. The only place where you have an anapest is in the last foot of L4:

/ to TASTE / a FLA / vour TOUCH / a TEX/ ture of SOUND/

Either way, iambics with or without anapests ("loose" or "strict") can be lovely. Consider Frost's Acquainted with the Night (in post #5). It contains iambs, trochees, and double iambs, but not a single anapest anywhere. It's strict. Then consider Edgar Bowers' The Astronomers of Mont Blanc and his #10 (from "Autumn Shade")(in post #1). The former, like Frost's poem, is composed of iambs, trochees, double iambs, and also some feminine endings (none of those in Frost's) but, unlike Frost's, contains one anapest in the last foot of L4. The latter contains a whole host of anapests (F3 of L3, F1 of L4, F4 of L5, F3 of L6, F2 of L9, & F5 of L14). What is my point??? It's this: both ways, strict and loose, can be beautiful. In my opinion, a poet who is paying attention to the meter of a poem should consider whether his poem benefits from the single anapest or would be better suited tightened up. It's a tough call. Why did Bowers use "shadowy" in "Astronomers" when he might have been able to use "shadowed" (not sure if that's a word or if it makes sense, but let's assume that it is, and it does) to end up with a strict iambic poem? What's the payoff from the one anapest? Perhaps it adds some variety or breaks up monotony, I don't know. There's no question that the payoff from the lot of anapests in "#10 from 'Autumn Shade'" is significant; the result is an absolutely captivating, lovely rhythm. But in "Astronomers," I'm not so sure. Just my opinion. Both the Bowers examples are world class poems, and I don't know if anyone has looked this closely at the anomaly in L4 of "Astronomers," but it's hard to believe that no one hasn't.

/ an Ayns / ley VASE / of PLAS / tic DAF / foDILS /

/ now GATH / ers DUST / aLONE / she WRITES / with PEN / cil

/SHAP ing / this HUM / to WORD / and READS / aLOUD /

/ to TASTE / a FLA / vour TOUCH / a TEX/ ture of SOUND/

/ he SIPS / a BRAN / dy READS / in SO / liTUDE /

/ a PAGE / where LET / ters STARE / so WEATH / ered OLD /

/ in GRAPH / ite GREY / unTIL / with CARE / his THUMB /

/SMUDGes / a CLOUD / a WORD / no LONG / er HEARD /

The feminine ending at the end of L2 followed by the trochee in the first foot of L3 is lovely, as are the trochee and the rhyme in the last line. Again, the meter is strict with the exception of the one anapest in L4. I don't mind the anapest, nor do I find it objectionable in any way, but you as the poet need to decide if it works. I like the sound of it, but consider this:

/ to TASTE / FLAvour / and TOUCH / TEXture / of SOUND/ [strict]

or, if you must have the specificity of the particular flavor:

/ to TASTE / its FLA / vour and / TOUCH SON / ic TEX / ture

/ iamb / iamb / { pyrrhic / trochee (double iamb) } / iamb / ^ (feminine ending)

Okay, I don't like "sonic" in this line, but I'm just showing another way it could be reworked and made strict by losing the anapest without altering the meaning even subtly.

I think meter should and must be applied carefully, together with punctuation and other elements of grammar. As poetic as the commas in L4 and L5 may be, as helpful as they may be when fine-tuning meter, I think their use in these instances results in incorrect construction. In my opinion, the use of a run-on sentence or comma splice in these lines is not appropriate. In each instance, it's simply not close enough. I'm no expert, and I wish Ikars was around to help -- he would add valuable input on this -- but I'm leaning toward use of a conjunction in each of these lines.

now gathers dust. Alone she writes with pencil [not sure if you need a comma after "alone," "pencil," or both]

shaping this hum to word, and reads aloud [lose the comma here - it's incorrect unless perhaps you use a comma after pencil? (not sure)]

to taste a flavour, touch a texture of sound.

[Here (in L4) I think you need to lose the comma and use "and":

/ to TASTE / a FLA / vour and TOUCH / a TEX / ture of SOUND /

or (for increased clarity and specificity) use "the" in lieu of "a":

/ to TASTE / the FLA / vour and TOUCH / the TEX / ture of SOUND /

You would end up with two anapests in this line and, quite possibly, the ultimate fix: clarity, nice rhythm, and no subtle change in meaning.]

He sips a brandy, reads in solitude [Here, again, I think you need to lose the comma and use "and." Again, it would add an anapest.]

a page where letters stare so weathered old

in graphite grey, until with care his thumb [not sure on the comma]

smudges a cloud, a word no longer heard. [nice use of the comma on the appositive]

I hope this helps.

Tony

Edit/Ad-in --

Still thinking about the comma splice in L4. Perhaps it's okay. But I definitely don't like it in L5.

Let's see if others chime in ...

Another thought for L5:

/ he SIPS / BRANdy / and READS / in SOL /iTUDE /

/ iamb / trochee / iamb /iamb /iamb /

This would get rid of the comma splice and there's no anapest. It's strict.

I hope this helps.

I think the answer to that is obvious Tony I've saved a copy for my files). I particularly found the comments on anapests interesting. I should explain I've started reading Timothy Steele's book 'all the fun's in how you say a thing.' His thoughts on modulation in a line sparked my interest in prosody! I was surprised by your comments on commas and conjunctions. I don't like 'and', but then I use the comma too often!

Will post a revision.

Have a lovely festive time.

cheers

badge

Isn't Steele's book terrific? Lots of great examples, too. The excerpt from Thom Gunn's poem "Pierce Street" (page 177) appeals to me a lot. Though I've searched online for that poem, I haven't found it. Looks like I'll have to resort to the book store to find it in its entirety, lol.

And modulation! It's where the magic happens. I liken meter to the underlying beat of a musical composition. The multitude of syntactical options the English language affords i.e. where the substituted feet, the trochees, double iambs, anapests fall set the pace. The tempo can speed up or slow down anywhere in a poem, even within a single line, and the contemporary reader will not stumble so long as the meter is not off. And the meter is not off when the standards are adhered to and observed.

As for anapests, I went into my archive and looked at all my works. I was surprised to see that I use the occasional anapest in probably half of my poems.

I'm a believer in standard punctuation. I think punctuation, when used properly, is one of a writer's greatest tools when it comes to clarity and getting his message across. I don't always get it right, but I do try.

Have a lovely festive time.

cheers

badge

Likewise! All the best to you and yours!

Tony :happy:

PS -- I was going to say that I don't think your poem needs a whole lot of revision when I saw your revised version. The meter is tightened up in L4 & L5. The poem is composed in flawless strict iambic pentameter.

I love the subtle changes in L7 & L8. There are some people who would encourage you to use a period in lieu of the semicolon in L7. I'd probably lean toward the period myself in this instance, but either way works in my opinion. The semicolon is a very useful option, and I use it a lot myself, but I have gone through most of my poems and eliminated plenty of them. Still, there are plenty I kept. Great work on "William"!

There are some people who would encourage you to use a period in lieu of the semicolon in L7. I'd probably lean toward the period myself in this instance, but either way works in my opinion. The semicolon is a very useful option, and I use it a lot myself, but I have gone through most of my poems and eliminated plenty of them.

Thanks for taking a look at the revision Tony. I believe the poem has progressed in a significant way because of your guidance. I think in time I will probably revisit that semi-colon!

cheers

badge

wow badge superb writing here. the semicolon works in the revision. i like the progression of the poem better with the semicolon than without it. i wish i wrote something as alluring as attractive as this write is to my eyes. a feast of eye candy my poet friend.

victor

the semicolon works in the revision. i like the progression of the poem better with the semilcolon than without it

Thanks for the thumbs up on the revision victor.

cheers

badge