Poetry Magnum Opus
  • Announcements

• tonyv

Registration -- to join PMO ***UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS***   03/14/2017

Automatic registration has been disabled. If you would like to join the Poetry Magnum Opus online community, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page and follow these instructions: 1. Check your email (including your spam folder) in a timely fashion for a reply. 2. After you receive a reply, use the "Sign Up" link at the top right corner of the page to create your account. Do this fast. I've lost my patience with people who use the "Contact Us" link to express interest in joining and then don't bother to check their email for a reply and don't bother to join after registration has been enabled. The queue fills up fast with spammers, and I have to spend my time sifting through the rubbish to delete them. The window of opportunity for joining will be short. I will not have my time wasted. If you don't check your email and you don't bother registering promptly, you will find that registration has been disabled and your future requests to join may go ignored. /s/ Tony ___________________ [Registration will only be enabled for a short while from the time your message is received, so please check your email for a reply and register within 12 hours of using the "Contact Us" link. (Be sure to check your spam folder if you don't see a reply to your message.)]
    • tonyv

IMPORTANT: re Logging In to PMO ***Attention Members***   03/15/2017

For security purposes, please use your email address when logging in to the site. This will prevent your account from being locked when malicious users try to log in to your account using your publicly visible display name. If you are unable to log in, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
    • tonyv

Blogs   05/01/2017

Blogs are now accessible to Guests. Guests may read and reply to blog entries. We'll see how this works out. If Guest participation becomes troublesome, I'll disable Guest access. Members are encouraged to make use of the PMO Members' Promotional Blog to promote their published works. Simply add your latest entry to the blog. Include relevant information (your name or screen name, poem title, periodical name, hyperlink to the site where published, etc). If you have a lot of them and feel you need your own blog, let me know, and I will try to accommodate you. Members are encouraged to continue also posting their promotional topics in the Promotions forum on the board itself which is better suited for archiving promotions.
Sign in to follow this  
Tinker

Return of the Doe #7 Poem a Day

The Return of the Doe
I
From the far side of the fence
she looked at me
still as stone, silent as air,
not a flinch,
her nut brown coat in contrast
with the lush spring grass where
in summer she would blend.
Deep as the forest her lashed eyes
were alert and wide in wonder. Belly swollen
she had come home to birth.

She looked at me.
Her gaze locked with mine.
“I know! I’m a Mom too,” my heart cried,
“but I still can’t let you in.”
Ears lifted and seemed to hear my silent words,
she looked at me
then slowly began to graze.

II
At the edge of the meadow
she appeared
and approached the fence
knowing I stood near.
Almost disguised
by the brown grass of summer
twin spotted fawns stood like stone
waiting for a signal from their mother.
As if she had brought her babes
for me to see she looked at me,
I smiled
then she twitched her ear
and they disappeared.

III
Once her haven from a harsh world,
now denied her,
this early Spring
the doe returned with her young
and trespassed.
She slipped inside
through an open gate.
Unnoticed,
they chose a place to graze.

Unaware of the uninvited
guests I turned my dogs loose for a run,
my wolf dog and his kennel mate.
Within seconds
the young deer fled
and hurdled the downhill fence
while the doe was spotted, stalked, and cornered.
The dogs approached
from opposite directions
without hesitation they attacked.
She was brought to her knees,
then to the ground
as fangs tore at her throat
and her hide was savagely ripped
from the back of her neck
to the base of her spine.

Hoe in hand,
screaming ignored commands
I pulled the snarling,
blood spattered dogs from the downed deer
and kenneled them.

The pain crazed doe
looked at me
then rose and charged
the kennel.
Razor sharp hooves slashed forward
while her hide flapped behind her like a cape.
but her injuries
soon defeated her
and she took off into the woods
I looked for her.
                       - - - Judi Van Gorder

I swear I posted this poem here before but I can't find it anywhere and I wanted to add it to my archive page. Part I was one of my very first poems. I added Part II and Part III as they happened. I don't know if Part III is really a poem but it finishes the cycle. And since I spent a lot of time yesterday revising Part III I am counting it as my Poem of the Day for US National Poetry Month.

~~Tink