Poetry Magnum Opus

Brooklyn on Nabisco

Tinker

My granddaughter Brooklyn on Nabisco during hippo therapy

May is Pediatric Stroke Awareness Month, Brooklyn suffered a stroke while in the womb and was born with only half a brain, consequently she was born paralyzed on the right side. Since beginning hippo therapy we have seen a vast improvement in her balance.

Fuzz on hoseback.jpgsmall girl mounts tall horse
crippled foot slips from stirrup
animal adjusts
steps under her shifted weight
smiling child learns to balance
                                  ~~jvg

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

precious, wondrous, stupendous, joyous.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

wonderful tinker. such a lovely memory for her.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Thanks for reading. As you all can probably tell because of my granddaughter I am helping with a month long campaign for Pediatric Stroke Awareness. Everyone is loving the hippo therapy Brooklyn is receiving. It is amazing the results we are already seeing after only a couple of months of therapy. Unfortunately it is very expensive and no health insurance or agency assists with the cost so the burden is on the family. But the short term and long term benefits are well worth it.

~~Tink

Tink, she looks like a happy child, from all the photos you've posted. Children with health issues seem to be so different from most, more mature, in many ways, very sweet and accepting of their situations and what they need to do.

I will always feel so lucky for the wonderful grandmother I had and suspect your grandchildren are just as fortunate.

Gatekeeper

Coincidentally, there was recently a story about this in a regional newspaper. Not sure why the story appeared as it was about a place near Seattle WA that was doing it. Evidence that it works without much knowledge of why it works. Wonder how someone came to notice the effects?

Seems like a pretty heavy challenge - her condition, that is. Hope your granddaughter's progress continues.

from the black desert

The therapy is getting a lot of recognition which is a good thing. Hopefully it will some day be recognized as a viable therapy by the insurance industry so families can get at least some assistance. There are a few facilities in California that provide this therapy but not many. Luckily Brooklyn lives within a half hour drive to the one she is attending. It has dramatically improved her balance and her confidence in such a short time.

Everyone in the family has a bike and she has had to ride in a trailer attached behind her dad's bike. We all thought riding a bike for her was impossible. But her little brother got a bike with training wheels for his birthday this month and my son noticed her interest in the new bike and asked her if she wanted to try it and she said yes. It was really hard work for her but she got the thing going smiling the whole time and rode back and forth a few times in the yard with her mother cringing the whole time but she never fell. She is our fragile child she tires pretty quickly. (She is 6 and weighs the same as her brother who just turned 4 and she is a good head taller than he is.) My son is convinced it is the horseback riding that gave her the confidence to try the bike and he went out and bought a tandem for his bike. (she would never be able to keep up with the family riding on her own but she can sit behind her dad on the tandem and even petal a little. )

Thanks for reading and the good thoughts.

~~Tink