a cue for the tattooed lady

preening her garden of earthly delights

as the white clad ghost with a clip board

smiles and calls for lydia

to accompany her

away from twiddling cell-phone thumbs

and past the cypress trees in an olive grove

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps I should have titled this "crossword in a waiting room".

The way a single word can conjure up a whole avenue of thought gives insight to my pre-occupied Narrator. Myrmidon (ant-like) Homer's reference to Achilles' men at Troy-- bireme, a bronze age warship. He's conscious of various pictures on the wall and the silence of the others; who sit like the dead in anticipation of being allocated a place in some further existence. Yet continues in his own Limbo. "Arsenic and Old Lace: the comic play about two seemingly harmless old ladies; who poison elderly gentlemen with elderberry wine, to spare them the rigours of old age. The allusion of the tattooed lady's art to Hieronymous Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights-- and a half-thought of Jimmy (Schnozzle) Durante's music hall song: "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" brings his own dark humour into play. "Have you seen Lydia, she's an encyclo-piddia, Lydia the Tat-tooed Lady?" The nurse/angel-- calls, smiles and leads her past the swirling image of Van Gogh's painting: "Cypress Trees in an Olive Grove", out of the Narrator's sphere of existence, to her demise.

They always say a poet should not explain his/her work; for even the most 'normal' of things can mean different things to each reader, and we all have different life experiences to draw from.

poetjohncompton

thank you for the break down. & i agree, a word, just a single word, can transcend your brain into so many places!

it's okay to explain your work after someone has read it. i love listening to someone's perspective on my poem & then telling them how i wrote it. i like the whole spectrum, because most of the time the reader goes so far away from the point of where i wrote it - it makes it special & cool - it's a unique interaction poets have with their readers.

so telling me about it is okay. i've read it & got my perspective, now you tell me how you come to the terms with your poem!

no harm done!

David W. Parsley

Hi Geoff, I enjoyed this piece even though I did not know what biremes are, was not familiar with Jimmy's ditty, and somehow missed the reference to a familiar Van Gogh. Like mp, I am grateful for the pithy breakdown afterward.

- Dave

P.S. Book? What book?