eclipse

Is this website dying?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is this website dying?

• Yes
    • No

• 2 weeks later...
David W. Parsley

I go through periods of inactivity myself, so I should not throw stones. And I don't intend to. But ever since coming back from a multi-month illness in 2014, it has seemed that some of the legacy voices of the site have been MIA. I have tried to reach out, but often get no replies. It feels like a tragedy has occurred (a real world one), and that some have not been able to deal with it. Does anybody know what happened?

Like Barry, I do not want this excellent site to disappear. But I, too, am somewhat concerned. It has been great to see the resumption of posts from tinker and tonyv. Where are Paco, Brendan, and Doc, to name a few prominent ones? Does Aleksandra still watch from the walls? I miss these voices intensely.

I was not sure if the poll was asking if the site is in danger of dying from neglect, or if I thought it did not deserve to continue. In case it means the latter, I voted, "No": as far as I'm concerned the site should continue and I will continue to contribute and come in to read.

- Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I was asking this same question a while ago and I have a huge investment in this site with the Reference Section which is always being accessed by outsiders. I simply am not writing much any more but I come to lurk and read the wonderful poetry here. Because some of us are getting older, not you gentlemen but I certainly am and I simply don't have the energy to be here every day. If we had some new blood it would be more active but new blood has to be encouraged and nurtured and that takes energy too.

I would love to see more activity and I so appreciate those of you who do post your work here. We don't have a lot of active members but who we do have are top quality poets that touch me with their contributions.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 2 months later...

I'm among those who have been neglectful for a long time. My creative mind took a long hiatus. When I began to journey back PMO was the first place sought. At that time new member registration was inactive. I checked daily. I finally was able to reach out to Tony who graciously guided me back in.

It was so great to see names I knew and trusted. PMO was the first place I ever had the courage to post anything. It will always be home for me. I sincerely hope it never goes away. I have watched the site ebb and flow over the years.

I do wonder how we expect new members to join as long as registration is blocked. I am not very bright when it comes to the world of forums and blogs etc. If I can do more than be here I will.

Thanks to all who remain.

• 1 year later...

YarnSpinner here...

Judging from the last posts here...2016, much has slowed down. I for one have been a victim of, or maybe I should say I was caught up in the slow down of input to PMO. 

I enjoyed contacts with others. I believe the ability to write is one of the greatest freedoms a person can have. It cannot be totally eradicated by force... other than death.

I think Tinker in April 1, 2016 was closer to the reason for a slow down period, with her statement; I quote; “Because some of us are getting older,” unquote. Yes...and getting older comes the scourge of illness that goes hand-in- glove, with age. 

I do not readily discuss my thoughts, or divulge my problems with others, but I will admit illness in this household has been a major factor, for my absence. Into this family of just my wife and I, has come a series of surgeries; a mastectomy and other painful disabilities that did not require surgery, but did prevent mobility. The necessary work load requiring two people has become the extra burden of one. This work load had another unexpected burden added when a family member came home to be with his mother, while she was in the process of recovery. 

Unknown by this child, a twin, nearly 60 years old; he was bringing with him a burden he did not know he was force to deal with....CANCER. What was  a misfortune of two, became one more in a family of three. During nearly a three year period that he has been here, he had radiation treatments, chemo treatments, and finally, when it looked like it could be surgically slowed down, he had surgery. A colectomy...(portion of bowel with large polyp,) an adrenal gland removed (cancer contained within) and a Gallbladder with its many contents, was removed also. All were taken during the same surgery of six and one half hours. Come this May he should be considered “Clean” of CANCER. 

It wasn’t too long now since I learned my bout with Prostate Cancer which was surgically removed in 2002, was now on the move again. This time it only shows in the PSA blood work up, but cannot be located where it is active. It’s halfway up the scale of 10.

Well I’ve blabbed enough...I can only say I have too many items on my plate to go without a fight. At Eighty-five I do not look for sympathy. I have sympathy only for those who have the ability to do something with their lives and/or express themselves in one form or other, but refuse to try.

(1) A collectors guide book of Daisy Air Rifles and other manufactured air guns dating back to 1880s, which were researched and started in 2002. Over 300 plus air guns illustrated by drawings I created on my computers. I’ve worn out 7 already. 
(2) To print self copies of a book of antique and Classics autos, which I’ve drawn as illustrations. I’ve even begun to have several embossed on coffee mugs to sell at auto shows 
(3) I enjoy pyrography, and carving in Plaster-of-Paris. I started a plaque just before the Step-son came home and after nearly (3) years, it is now just a WIP (work in progress.)
(4) I started an Epic Ballad in 1989, shortly after I joined a Writing Club. It has Twenty-five chapters, and requires much research to make it a document-fiction ballad.

(5) Last of all I enjoy writing. Right now it is the only art form I can work at, on computer, and still be close enough to Momma, when  she is in need of my service.

I’ll try to find something  to contribute to POM. It may not be on par with what is of the norm, but it’s still poetry to me.

YarnSpinner

This is a place to share your writing and I for one am very happy you are back doing so.   Yep I can emphasize with your situation although you do have me beat several times over so now I'm feeling guilty I haven't accomplished more.   Energy begets energy, I truly believe that.   Let's energize each other and keep posting.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

This is a place to share your writing and I for one am very happy you are back doing so.   Yep I can emphasize with your situation although you do have me beat several times over so now I'm feeling guilty I haven't accomplished more.   Energy begets energy, I truly believe that.   Let's energize each other and keep posting.

~~Tink

Tinker: One should never feel guilty about what they have not accomplished in life. Life is like picking flowers. We like what we see, thinking to ourselves...I'll choose that one. Thus we pick only the avenues (flowers of life) we prefer, and stay on a path which is favorable for us to accomplish. As far as comparing illness and hardships...we all have stumbling blocks. Some are more of a hindrance to our accomplishment than others. We learn from these stumbling blocks as you are well aware of. If our desire remains strong enough,  we can still say "I'm satisfied with what I did do with my life."

YarnSpinner

On 4/7/2018 at 3:30 PM, YarnSpinner said:

Judging from the last posts here...2016, much has slowed down.

YarnSpinner, the last post here (2016) would be in this topic, as there have many posts all over the site since then.

I’ll try to find something  to contribute to POM. It may not be on par with what is of the norm, but it’s still poetry to me.

I don't think any member is keeping track of members' skills in some judgemental way. Everyone who posts here is at his own level and shares poems in his own style, whatever he's into.

(1) A collectors guide book of Daisy Air Rifles and other manufactured air guns dating back to 1880s, which were researched and started in 2002. Over 300 plus air guns illustrated by drawings I created on my computers. I’ve worn out 7 already. 
(2) To print self copies of a book of antique and Classics autos, which I’ve drawn as illustrations. I’ve even begun to have several embossed on coffee mugs to sell at auto shows 
(3) I enjoy pyrography, and carving in Plaster-of-Paris. I started a plaque just before the Step-son came home and after nearly (3) years, it is now just a WIP (work in progress.)
(4) I started an Epic Ballad in 1989, shortly after I joined a Writing Club. It has Twenty-five chapters, and requires much research to make it a document-fiction ballad.

(5) Last of all I enjoy writing. Right now it is the only art form I can work at, on computer, and still be close enough to Momma, when  she is in need of my service.

These are fascinating hobbies. My father is from your generation, and he also has had similar hobbies. Growing up and throughout my whole life I have been fortunate to have been exposed to much of these what I would characterize as "old school" pastimes: leather work, wood burning, woodwork, black and white photography, weaving, and many other similar albeit obscure crafts.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:14 PM, Tinker said:

This is a place to share your writing and I for one am very happy you are back doing so ... Energy begets energy, I truly believe that.   Let's energize each other and keep posting.

I agree. I've said it many times to those who complain the loudest about a lack of activity: if you want activity, create it. Everyone posts as much as he is willing or able, no pressure. The same goes for me. Though sometimes participation may seem like a solitary experience when replies are few and far between, the poems/topics will continue being read (perhaps replied to) days, weeks, months, or even years later. As far as I'm concerned, as it is often said, this is the internet, and once it's out there, it's there to stay. Let's continue to get it out there.

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic