Registration -- to join PMO ***UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS*** Read more... ×
IMPORTANT: re Logging In to PMO ***Attention Members*** Read more... ×
Poetry Magnum Opus
tonyv

New forum software options/features

Every now and then I'll learn about a forum software feature I didn't know existed. I like to give members quality options whenever I can, so if I discover and enable/activate a feature, I'll update this topic. Here's a new one you might like:

forum views.JPG

Circled in red are some forum view option controls. Selecting any of the three will present a different way the forums will display. The first option (selected in black on this picture) will display the forums in the traditional index table view. The middle option will render forums as cards in a grid. The third option will render a simpler dynamic listing with a forum filter box. That's the one I might try. It's almost like a "new topics" listing with the option to filter out the forums you're not interested in and display only the ones you are interested in. You should try these, too, to see if there's one you would prefer. I also have the option to set any of these views as the default view, but I'll keep the traditional look as the default view because it's probably the easiest one for new members and visitors when they try to find things as they get used to the site.

I'm open to reasonable suggestions, so if there's a feature you're interested in you can mention it here. There are certain things I already know I don't want. For example, I don't see the need for a "like" button. This is a writing site, so if someone sees something he likes, it would make sense to write something and not just click "like." Also, as you're probably aware, signatures are generally okay, but I prefer not to have distractions like large/shiny/blinking unicorns, rainbows, fairy princesses, etc. included in people's signatures in topics all over the board. I'm mentioning this only in case we get an influx of new members who might be accustomed to features like this available on other sites. Same goes for pink, oversized fonts and the like. There are some options in the editor to control/adjust fonts in your topics, and by all means, I encourage members to use these options when there's a need, when specific typography will somehow benefit their poems, but oversized, tiny, bold, pink, or otherwise hard to read fonts in topics and replies are generally discouraged. Let's keep the quality high as it has been and is. Gimmicks like colorful fonts don't improve the quality of poems and detract from a serious writing site. As another example, I don't see the need to enable the rating of topics and/or answers.

If anyone needs something special let me know. If you want to get really active and regularly update a blog of your own, I'll enable one for you so long as it makes sense to do so. I can also make specific forums to suit specific needs. For example, check out the Prose and Longer Poetic Works forum. There's a longer poetic work in a forum of its own there already that I created to suit the particular need for it. If you need something like that run it by me, and if it makes sense I'll try to make it happen.

I'm with you with the no sparkling unicorns.   All of that graphic stuff is distracting.    And You are right on the "Like" button but I still would like to use it if was here. ~~smile~~. 

~~Tink

6 minutes ago, Tinker said:

And You are right on the "Like" button but I still would like to use it if was here.

LOL, so would I , so would I ... And pretty soon there would be no written replies, because we would all just be clicking "like" :biggrin: It's easier!

I'm working on enabling some "feature colors" right now to apply to certain popular forums like the Member Poetry forums to help them stand out when you don't filter views and are looking at all the the topics in Fluid View (the third one on the right - the one that renders the list).

Bye the way I kind of like the middle one.  I think I will use it for a while and see how it feels.  Thanks.

~~Tink

5 hours ago, Tinker said:

Bye the way I kind of like the middle one.  I think I will use it for a while and see how it feels.  Thanks.

~~Tink

If there was I "like" button, I would click it on your reply. :biggrin:

I just tried setting the editor's Return key behavior from "Start new paragraph" to "Go to next line," but it seemed to make a mess out of existing posts, so I quickly changed it back. I'll keep it the same. The way it is set now, when you hit return it starts a new paragraph, kind of like a double space. I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but when you're posting a poem, and you want to post the next line, just hold down the Shift key when hitting Return (on my keyboard it's "Enter"). For example, if you don't want this:

This is L1 of my poem [hit Return]

This is L2 -- looks like a double space

-- and would rather have this:

This is L1 of my poem [hold shift & hit return]
Here's the next line -- it only skipped one line

-- that's how you do it.

Re: "Clubs"

This forum software is rich with possibilities. On of them I'm starting to learn about is a new feature I could enable called "Clubs." Clubs function like communities within the community. Though our PMO community is small, a need for a club (or clubs) could arise. There can be public/open clubs or closed/private clubs. If anyone can think of a need or use for a club, let me know.

Not that it's an incredibly popular forum, but I made The Workshop a members only forum. This means only logged in PMO members can see/read the topics. I figure we don't need search engines/spiders and others crawling those topics and stealing our rough, yet-to-be published ideas.

Are you using the Activity stream? If you click on the activity tab in the Menu, you should be able to see recent activity on the board, including activity in the blogs:

activity stream.JPG

I'll rearrange the menu so that Activity is first, followed by Forums, Blogs, Clubs, The PMO Front Page, and Homepage.

Not that I see any immediate or pressing need for clubs -- the site is that small -- but nevertheless I've activated the Clubs module for the site. A Club is like a "forum within the forum" that can be closed/private or open/public whichever way one sets it up. With PMO being a micro forum, we certainly don't need any Balkanization, but  a Club may be ideal for something a member has in mind. If you go ahead and start a club, yes, it will have to be approved, but if it makes sense ...

I want to make use of features that can benefit our online community. I might even start a club myself: a club where members (only) can share ideas and their wishes/vision for the site. Yes, the same thing could be accomplished with a members only topic, but a club might have more long-term use and appeal than just another pinned topic.

Are you tired of your display name? Prefer to be called ShakesPEAR instead of PiNkPoEt? :ph34r: If so, you can change it in your Account Settings options. :rolleyes::-8)

Here is how to upload a picture into your topic.

1. Click on the paper "choose file link" at the bottom of the editor box:

attach1.JPG

2. In the dialog box that appears, navigate to the file (the picture stored on your computer) that you would like to upload to the forum and select it.

3. Once you have selected the file, a thumbnail of the image will appear at the bottom of the editor box. Place your cursor in the editor box where you would like the image to appear and click the small plus at the bottom right corner of the thumbnail. This will post the image in your post:

attach2.JPG

That's it. The other way would be to have me help you with it.