And now this ink,
corvus in flight,
an alphabet
scrawling portents.

You sneeze.
No songbird sings.
Our labrador barks
at something.

Despite a welcome, comforting sense of isolation, an absence of other humans, I feel like I am there. Yes, there are omens, but they are illusory and invoke an alertness, a primal, healthy fear of the unknown, the future, etc. A very enjoyable read.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Alertness, a keying into a world that we easily switch off in the concrete environment. I realise when walking in a forest why ancestors were less abstract in their belief systems.

cheers

Phil

Badge, This is filled with wonderful imagery.  

"runes of red light".   I must look up the possibilities of the word "runes"  This phrase is so beautiful, it creates a visual as well as reads well out loud.

Love Labs,  is that fiction or do you really have one.  Our first dog was a Black Lab.   Any way, barks "at something" I get the generic "something" but I wonder if a more interesting word like "shadows"  or  "squirrel"  or "the rustling of a rodent"   I'm just thinking out loud.   I really like this poem.

I live in a forest, the keying into a world switched off in a concrete environment is natural to me.  In summer I often sleep outside on my deck and the sounds of critters close by and the vastness of the stars above transport me. The cry of a fox is like a woman screaming, the first time I heard it, it scared me.  It is a common sound at night through my bedroom window.     I haven't slept outside since I lost my dog last year however.  Something very assuring about the presence of a large dog at your side. 

~~Tink