Registration -- to join PMO ***UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS*** Read more... ×
Poetry Magnum Opus
Sign in to follow this  
Tinker

Post Footnotes to your poems as a reply to this thread.

Tinker

For any who would like to place a hidden footnote to their poem posted in Member Poetry or Overflow Member Poetry,  post the footnote as a reply to this thread then link URL to your poem. It takes a little back forth action and copying and pasting urls but it can be done and it will keep your poem page clean of extra "stuff".  Here is a blow by blow of how to do it.

1. Post your poem. 
  2. Copy url of your poem
  3. Come to Member Archives, access this post and reply by entering the name of your poem and whatever additional information about your poem you choose.
  4. Click the "link" icon above (it is first in the 2nd group of icons)
  5. Paste the url in the link popup window in the first text box and then enter the name of your poem in the second text box. Insert into post.
  6. Post
  7. Select the icon in the top right of your post between "Report this post" and the select box. It looks like a triangle without one side with circles at the tips.  If you move your mouse over the icon it says "share this post".   Click on the icon and it will provide a url.
  8. Click on that URL and copy.
  9. Click on the link to your poem and edit your poem to add a link at the bottom of the page pasting the "footnote" url in the first text box of the popup window and in the second text box type  "Note" or "Footnote" or whatever word you think encourages the reader to read further.  Insert into post.
  10. Post
  11. Now you have a link to your footnote from your poem and a link back to your poem from the footnote.  It isn't as complicated as it may appear at first.

Tinker

Footnote to "It's Complicated"

Prompt:   15 Lines 5 tercets with rhyme aba bcb cdc ded eae

Tinker

Footnotes to my poem  Shifting Sands

An exercise in the use of Anaphora. Written for my April 10, 2018 Poem of the Day - National Poetry Writing Month

Tinker

Footnotes to my poem Zimbabwe Child

This was written in 2011.  At that time a child died every 15 minutes in Zimbabwe. Once known as the "bread basket of Africa" the farm lands lie fallow and unworked, taken from the farmers and given as prizes to the military vets who fought the revolution. Life expectancy is now age 45 and unemployment is 80%. AIDS and starvation are rampant. The inflation rate since 1978 is 231 million percent. Robert Mugabe has been president since 1978. He is running for reelection this year at the age of 87.

Mugabe finally was forced to resign in November 2017 at the age of 93 and is currently under military arrest.  2013 International Health Organizations through much effort instituted health reforms that reduced drastically the transmission of AIDS from mother to infant and continued efforts have brought the infected rate to 13.7% of the population.  In 2017 the life expectancy is age 59 so there has been improvement.  Zimbabwe still has a long way to go.

Limpopo, crocodile infested river on the patrolled border between Zimbabwe and South Africa which is the most popular route for starving Zimbabweans looking for work, many die from the crocodiles. Others are caught and placed in refugee camps that are little more than internment camps and still others are simply turned back.

siboyani root, native African plant, the root is dug up and must be boiled 5 hours before it can be mashed in the broth.

mankata root, native African plant, the root is found in swampy areas.

nsimi is a kind of dumpling or bread that is made from cornmeal with oil and water then rolled into balls and eaten dipped into vegetable broth.

Tinker

An Apple a Day

Written in response to Daily Prompt in Playground

Footnotes:

Apple trees from an apple seed will produce an entirely new apple strain. A Fuji Apple seed will not produce a Fuji apple. The only way to ensure that a Granny Smith tree will produce Granny Smith apples is to graft a piece of Granny Smith apple wood into a piece of root stalk. This technique has been practiced since the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and even the Celts. That is why there are so many types of apples. Johnny Appleseed was on a mission to create new fruit when he famously spread apple seeds.

In the town where my office is located, every year we celebrate the Apple Blossom Festival with a parade, ending in the park where all manner of apple products are available and if you drive out to the outskirts of town you will see beautiful orchards of apple blossoms. This is the home of Luther Burbank's Gravenstein Apple. But Golden Delicious grow here equally well.

And thanks to Tony I learned a new word terroir pronounced terr-whaer  
Love it.
PS: I make a great apple pie

Tinker

Footnote to Crazies

Written using Cethramtu Rannaigheacht Mor Verse Form for a challenge at Writing.com.

Within 3 weeks we have had some far left crazy mailing white powder thought to be risin to Presient Trump, the Pentagon and others and a far right crazy mailing pipe bombs to President Obama, the Clintons, CNN and others. America get a grip. We vote to settle our differences not send poison powder or bombs. Watch for these crazies and help nip this crap in the bud..

Tinker

Footnotes to  The New Norm

Written in response to last night's senseless slaughter of 12 at a college country music event at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California by a  lone gunman who shot strangers simply because he could. 
Written in the Burmese verse form Ya-Du only because there is challenge at WCD to write a Ya-Du. 

Tinker

Footnotes to It Begins

26 Lines Free Verse

Prompt for: November 23rd, 2018 (fyn)
Subject or Theme: Black Friday
Word(s) to Include: mad, curl, spend, time, guard
Forbidden Word(s): Friday, Black, Shop, present, gift, store, day, sale
Additional Parameters: Minimum 24 lines. Minimal rhyming

Tinker

Notes for When the Light Went Out 

23 Text Lines Free Verse
I guess I’m just not ready for Christmas yet.

"Day 7" Prompt:
Theme: Shattered Ornament
Words to use: shard, dance, memory, heart
Forbidden words: the word 'a', bounce, roll, crash, red, green, broken
Additional parameters: At least 20 lines.

Tinker

President George H.W. Bush
Notes: ▼

12 lines

I certainly had seen him on TV and in news photos and had never thought him to be other than an ordinary looking man. However that brisk morning being surprised by seeing him come down the Capitol steps toward me, I was almost made breathless by his appearance. Very tall, truly towering above those who surrounded him, tan, fit, ruggedly handsome, he really did radiate power and energy.

He had my support after he promoted his "thousand points of light" mantra, encouraging Americans to volunteer service in whatever they felt passion about.  We were on the same page.  

He was a man of integrity and quiet strength.  One could say he was the exact opposite of our current president. He was humble, self effacing, open to both sides of the political spectrum and open to changing his position when it was in the best interest of the people to do so.  He wasn't afraid to say he was wrong or that he made a mistake. He negotiated the fall of the USSR and set up a tough budget from which Clinton would reap reward with a balanced budget and surplus.  He successfully negotiated bipartisan legislation, more than any president other the Roosevelt.    His humor, sense of service and adventure continued to define him long after he left office. Rest in peace President George Herbert Walker Bush.