Registration -- to join PMO ***UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS*** Read more... ×
Poetry Magnum Opus
tonyv

A little about my vision for PMO -- what's yours?

tonyv

I set PMO up as a place where members can exhibit their poetry and discuss each others' works. There is a small, not very popular workshop, but the site is primarily a showcase. There are several dedicated workshops on the net which stress that their sites are workshops (not showcases) where members can seek critical input on unfinished works, but I am not in the market for that. For me, PMO is an interactive showcase -- the only place -- where I "publish" i.e exhibit my work. While I always welcome and appreciate critical input and/or any input from my fellow members, I consider most of my posted poems to be substantially finished. 

Recognizing that The University Press(TM) isn't about to publish my poems any time soon and that life is short, I've concluded that self-publishing and "marketing" my literary works on PMO is a rewarding path for me. I'm excited to showcase my poems and to get thoughtful replies from my fellow members whose work I also admire.

My vision for PMO is that the site may serve as a vehicle for me and other members who so desire to promote their work and promote themselves as artists. That's why I created the Member Archive forum, so that members may have a topic which contains their own carefully curated index of links to their works on the site. That way if a member wants to share his works with someone (with anyone) he can simply pass along to the interested party the one link to his Member Archive topic which would contain links to works of his own choosing. 

I recognize and understand that not everyone will share the same vision I have. Each member may have his own reason(s) for participating on PMO and is welcome to do so (in accordance with the rules, of course). What's your vision? Is there something you need that would help you realize your own goals? Let me know.

Tinker

OK, first I just learned you have to "join the club" to be able to respond here.  So I joined.  Although we are such a small band of poets here, I'm unsure if we really need clubs. 

I have a huge investment of time and energy here at PMO.  I think of this forum as much more than a Showcase.  I think of it as a place to share, learn and grow as a writer. 

I don't always write serious stuff.  I like word play and having fun with words as well as taking on more serious themes.   Sometimes I feel like what I post is frivolous compared to the other works shared.   But I'm no less serious about the craft of writing, maybe more serious about the craft of writing than some others, even though my content may seem light.  I enjoy experimenting with words and form.   I think "the playground" is kind of hidden and rarely does anyone visit there but me and one or two others on occasion.   There are ideas there.  Prompts and challenges.   A place to test yourself without taking yourself so seriously and simply enjoy the art of writing. I'd love to see more activity there.   Maybe I should be saving this for a blog....  

~~Tink

tonyv
On 1/25/2019 at 2:45 AM, Tinker said:

Although we are such a small band of poets here, I'm unsure if we really need clubs.

I think the Clubs can work well for specialized uses. For example, I made this club where we can talk about the site, about site matters. It's visible right now to all, but that's only because I'm hoping Members will discover the Clubs feature. If/when they do, and if/when they join and get involved in the discussions, I'll make this Club hidden from guests. There's really no need for non-members to see this. I can think of other uses. For example, some members could decide they want to collaborate. A collaborations club might serve well as a place where members can do that. A club can function as a more intimate venue, a forum within the forum, where members do their own thing.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:45 AM, Tinker said:

I have a huge investment of time and energy here at PMO.  I think of this forum as much more than a Showcase.  I think of it as a place to share, learn and grow as a writer. 

I agree, PMO is much more than a showcase, especially with its unmatched Reference Section. It's also about community, the interaction. When I said primarily a showcase, I meant in comparison to other sites that might be set up to be workshops. Those sites are not showcases, and their members are told to post finished poems elsewhere.

tonyv

Oh, and I just noticed that I'm the "owner" of this club. 🤴 I didn't choose the title, the software did. I guess if you start a club, the software will declare you the club's owner. 💪

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.