One night I dreamt of you
For seven years I dreamt of you
Until you walked into my life

Where do you and I

Where do you and I
Where do you begin to end
Where do I belong

Meeting Dream Girl

I first dreamt of Angela when I was but a lad of 17 living in Berkeley, California. It was 1974 and life seemed full of possibilities in that magical year the tail end of the fabled 60’s.nI fell asleep that fateful day in a boring Physics class. I woke up seeing the most beautiful women in the world looking at me. I was shocked and did not know what to say. She spoke to me in a strange language but somehow, I knew that someday we were to be together. I just knew that I would meet the girl in the dream. It was love at first sight. She disappeared and I fell to the floor yelling, “who are you?”

Then I started having the same dream month after month for seven long years. I had to decide where to go in the Peace Corps and chose to go to Korea because I knew she would be there. I looked for her every day knowing that someday she would walk out of my dreams and into my life.

Then one day I had the last dream. She walked off the bus in front of me. I was shocked did not know what to say and she smiled at me melting my heart away. I got her number agreed to meet the next day. She came to my class room and we talked at length.

She was madly in love with me and she had to have me. I told her I felt the same way. We married two months later. And that was the beginning of 35 years of happiness.

When I first saw you
Standing on the hot roadway
I knew life began

That was the end game
The beginning of my life with you
A journey with you

Living with Pain

Back in 1996 I had the accident that changed everything. I went jogging one morning. It was dark outside, and I thought that I knew the trail. Big mistake. I fell down a ledge hidden where the trail should have been. I shattered me heal in a million pieces. I was rushed to an ER and told that I need an emergency operation and would be bed ridden for four months.

My wife was in San Antonio at the time serving in the Army, I was in DC working for the State Department. I flew in a wheel chair to San Antonio where they proclaimed that they had to wait a week for the swelling to go down before they could operate. The Air force doctors wanted to try a new procedure – using shark cartridge as a bone supplement. The operation was a success until I quit taking antibiotics six months later. I was in DC by myself then. I went to the hospital for an unrelated thing -removal of a cist I think. But the doctors took one look at me and proclaimed that the staph had become a multiple drug resistant staph and I needed an urgent operation. The next day I had the third of 15 operations. I endured six months at Walter Reed hospital but that was in the 90’s prior to the wars of the 21st century filled the base up. They had few customers and I got to know the doctors well.

I know pain
Intimately aware of every ache
Every pain

Ever since that day
When I went under the knife
And had the 14 operations

That saved my life
But I am not one to complain
I became one with the pain

Which I endure to this day
Knowing that I am alive
Having cheated death
Twenty times in life

Waiting for the grim reaper
To finally claim me

But that day has not come
And until then
I will endure

Hiking the Hills of My Youth

I grew up in Berkeley, California in the 60’s.  Ever since I was a youngster I would wander the hills of Berkeley hiking for hours by myself and sometimes with my friends.  I explored every nook and cranny every corner of the hills and got to know nature in its infinite beauty.

Ever since those days I have longed for the day that I could spend my days hiking and wondering the hills. Now that I am retired and living in Korea I can go for a long walk in the hills every day I want. It is not the same as the hills I grew up, no vistas of the Bay and it is in Korea to boot but most days it is sufficient as I head out early afternoon and conquer four or five miles of hills just enjoying that fact that I can still move and am still very much alive at age 62.

I grew up hiking the hills of Berkeley, California
Grew up knowing every corner of the hills
And the infinite beauty of the Bay Area

And now I find myself in a strange land
With time on my hands
I wander the hills above the airport
In Incheon Korea

And wander about here and there
Just being grateful
That I am still alive
And kicking at age 62

Love Haiku.docx

I thought senryu poems are like haiku. They just differ in content. I have never tried senryu. So, I am studying these examples and assessing it based on what I have read. There is one that I like here

"When I first saw you
Standing on the hot roadway
I knew life began"

The first two lines remind me of haiku and the last line the haiku fragment, except the fragment is a concept or abstract.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Yes Joel,  Senryu were named for a haiku writer and  humorous poetry judge Karai Senryu.  They are basically the human side of haiku, most often humorous.   Technically, if it is funny, or ironic and touches on the human condition it is senryu.  If it is serious it is haiku.   But of course, over the decades and Westernization, the lines have become blurred and there are funny, ironic and human haiku.  

Personally, I try to separate haiku and senryu labels between serious, natural images for haiku and humorous images for senryu.  And mostly leave the human condition for tankas. (which was the tanka's original intent}.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com