headbutt his afternoon nap.
The crucifix above
the mantelpiece winks at him,
kissing his eyes with lips
as dry as salted slugs.
He'll nail that bastard someday.
That forgiveness. I empathise.

tonyv

Wow. I hope it's okay that I can't help but see myself in this in certain inarticulable ways and others that I'll try to express. 

While I'm grateful that I was raised Christian [Estonian Evangelical Lutheran (in Massachusetts)], I sense a familiar reluctance, a secular take-it-or-leave-it, in the poem's protagonist. That's probably my view because I'm somewhat familiar with the history.

As Wikipedia points out, "Ancient Estonians were some of the last European pagans to be Christianized, following the Livonian Crusade in the 13th century." Also, in more recent times, during the Soviet era, religion was suppressed, leading to Soviet style atheism in much of the population. That's likely why, "Estonia, which historically was a Lutheran Protestant nation, is today one of the 'least religious' countries in the world in terms of declared attitudes, with only 14 percent of the population declaring religion to be an important part of its daily life." [Wikipedia] 

I think I identify, to some degree, with the protagonist, and that's not because of my own upbringing, or the history of religion (or lack thereof) in Estonia, rather I think it's from the romantic in me: I could, and would, initially overlook a romantic interest's religion for the sake of romantic love. Of course, I would plot, in time, to convert her. :wink:

There's more. I'm pretty particular about my cuisine. I prefer sushi, Asian, Indian, Mexican, Italian, and American fare, but I've convinced myself that I could give that up and live in a shack near the Arctic Circle, eating broth (and writing poetry by candlelight like Yuri Zhivago) if only to remain (like Keats in Bright Star) in the arms of the love of my life.:rolleyes:

And that's where I see myself in this poem: a deluded romantic. I'm sure there's more I haven't touched upon, but that's my take, and I love this poem.

Tony :biggrin:

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

badger11

There's more. I'm pretty particular about my cuisine. I prefer sushi, Asian, Indian, Mexican, Italian, and American fare, but I've convinced myself that I could give that up and live in a shack near the Arctic Circle, eating broth (and writing poetry by candlelight like Yuri Zhivago) if only to remain (like Keats in Bright Star) in the arms of the love of my life.

😀 A lovely dream! My friend/colleague is from Estonia, but  the title promises more than the write delivers on that fact. His background is more Russian, though he is essentially European/internationalist rather than nationalistic in outlook. As usual, with my writes, there is a mix of empathy/fiction/fact. His wife is religious, but I don't know if orthodox or protestant. Great response!

all the best

Phil

tonyv
9 minutes ago, badger11 said:

A lovely dream!

Oh, but it gets better! There wouldn't be work … Her father, uncle, and brothers would handle that, hopefully by trading otter pelts for wine (or at least vodka) to help keep us warm while I pursue academic and amorous interests all around the village. :laugh:

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

dcmarti1

For some reason, this frustrated me:

headbutt his afternoon nap.

But I absolutely loved the title. 😉

badger11

Just some hyperbole Marti!

best

Phil