Poetry Magnum Opus

Goodbye to 2019, the Age of Narcissus

tonyv

The best our planet has to give, reduced
to condiments -- I'm honey on her lips,
she's spent sangria in my wasted veins.
She's too long by my side. Our way to heaven
will always be our bodies, not our minds.

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

This induced a chuckle, a pause and quite a stirring of admiration -- I can't believe the successful use of 'condiments' the erotic resolution of the kantian mind/body dualism and its just plain fun!!! 😉

hi Tony

The title suggests looking back at being self-absorbed. The body of the poem speaks of sensual indulgence with another. The use of 'reduced'  and 'condiments' conveys a state of being that is diminished. There is a weariness with the pleasures of honey/sangria perhaps - that word wasted. The concluding line returns to advocating sensual rather than spiritual life and I'm thinking more about her in the poem.

She's too long by my side.

In that context, not weariness, but wanting more than friendship. Fulfilment in earthly experience.

best

Phil

On 1/2/2020 at 3:26 PM, dr_con said:

This induced a chuckle, a pause and quite a stirring of admiration -- I can't believe the successful use of 'condiments' the erotic resolution of the kantian mind/body dualism and its just plain fun!!! 😉

Thank you, Juris. It's a fine word! :laugh:

Tony :happy:

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Phil, thank you for on-point analysis.

17 hours ago, badger11 said:

The title suggests looking back at being self-absorbed. The body of the poem speaks of sensual indulgence with another. The use of 'reduced'  and 'condiments' conveys a state of being that is diminished. There is a weariness with the pleasures of honey/sangria perhaps - that word wasted. The concluding line returns to advocating sensual rather than spiritual life and I'm thinking more about her in the poem.

This is right in line with my expectations. I had hoped to convey a sense of paradox with the title, the "looking back," but has anything changed? Will it change? Can it even change? I would suggest that the weariness isn't just from consumption or even from the year, rather it's from a decade, perhaps a wasted one.

17 hours ago, badger11 said:

In that context, not weariness, but wanting more than friendship.

I'm leaning toward friendship, more, all of it, and none of it. There's that weariness again. 

With appreciation,

Tony