Poetry Magnum Opus

So... you from 'round here?

rumisong

so, we really have 3 New Englanders in this group of 35?!

wow, how about that - Ive been playing around in online forums since Aug of '05, and very often in groups of a thousand or more, I could go and not meet up with a single other New Englander icon_smile.gif

Im from near Nashua, Tony is from Providence, yes?, and is pawn shop from Marlborough, is that right?

anyone else have any ties to New England? just curious... its a fun thing to have happen...

theres another small forum that I visit, and there are 5 folks there all from the Bay area of San Fransisco, and you could get kind of jealous when they all talk about things that only they know about... Ill not feel the slightest bit of shame if we want to start doing that now to Alek, and Golden, and Joel, and Tinker, and Vic... and... icon_wink.gif

But while we are on this subject, Im getting the feeling that Im in quite a minority around here that a whole lot of folks around us have command of more than one language... obviously English, and how many others?

thats the one big sense of regret, sadness, jealousy that I have with me... even a sort of "shame" goes with this- in this obvious 'one big global world' that we are all a part of, I only know one language- and have little reason to learn any other (from the society I live in, that is to say)... I keep threatening to get off my ass and do something about this- but but but... you know how that goes....

Im jealous...

what are the languages everyone here knows? care to share?

Thanks for the exciting topic, Rumisong! It kind of makes me feel like I'm part of two clubs -- the New England division of PMO and the foreign language club. icon_smile.gif Yes, I have lived in Rhode Island for five years, but I was born in Boston, and I grew up in Massachusetts, about an hour south of Boston. (My family is still in Massachusetts.) I like Rhode Island. For New England, it's kind of like its own little world.

I was curious as to what part of the Granite State you were from. I've been to NH many times. When I was a kid, once in awhile my parents took my sisters and me up to Littleton (way up north) for weekend getaways. I've also spent some time in Manchester, which I like a lot. It's small and reasonably clean (kind of like Providence) but it still has that city feel with a downtown, restaurants, etc. I also had a friend in Hudson. I've only been Nashua way a few times, but it was really just passing through, so I don't remember much of it.

As for the foreign language stuff, there's really no need to be jealous. I speak Estonian because it was my first language -- it's what we spoke in the home when I was growing up -- and we still speak it now in my family. I'm fluent in it as far as everyday conversation and writing are concerned, but my English fluency (both grammar and vocabulary) is far more advanced. And, after all, I am here (Alek, too!) on a primarily English language board, and we are participating mostly in English. icon_biggrin.png Alek has said a number of times that she loves the English language -- it's somehow the language that brings people together in the world -- and I (quite possibly the others, too) feel the same way.

Although, while growing up, I didn't always appreciate it or see its importance, my Estonian upbringing (which was in some ways a pain in the neck for a kid who just wanted to play with his American friends) has somehow opened another culture, another world, to me. I appreciate it more now. Even so, I love English, and my poetry attempts and endeavors continue to be in English.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse of yourself and for asking about us! I hope others will reply, too!

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

yes rumisong interesting subject to talk about. i only speak one language. i don't seem to have the aptitude to learn a second language it seems. i have studied greek, aramaiac, hebrew, spanish, and took only german in school and failed it horriblely.

i wish i could speak and write another language. german didnt come natural so i failed to ;learn it. i can speak a little german but for the life of me couldnt spell anything in that language.

i did learn alot studying those other languages. maybe i will get rossetta stone language program to learn hebrew or greek. im interested in learning what the bible really says in those two languages. larsen m. callirhoe is a pen name, callirhoe is a greek and aramaic version of the first part of my last name lashe. my last name is lashewitz which is hebrew.

anyway dont feel stupid i dont think that many people on the forum are fluent in more than one language.

goldenlangur aleks and tony definetely know other languages but not the same languages lol.

victor michael

Larsen M. Callirhoe

I am sorry, I cannot be part of the New England club. I am a native Californian --- SF Northbay. Not really a part of the Metropolitan San Francisco Bay Area; I live in a more rural community, although I did go to San Francisco State many years ago.

Being a Californian you kind of have to have at least a smattering of Spanish which is about what I have. I can make myself understood and if my Spanish counterpart will slow their speech down, I can even understand much of what is said. I would never attempt to write a poem in Spanish, I read Spanish better than I speak it. (but I admit I keep a Spanish English dictionary handy). My Spanish in no way compares to the excellent English spoken by members here for whom English is a 2nd or 3rd language. I am always blown away by those who are fluent in more than one language.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Larsen M. Callirhoe

tink said:

"I am always blown away by those who are fluent in more than one language."

so am i tink

vic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

tink said:

"I am always blown away by those who are fluent in more than one language."

so am i tink

vic

Yeah, See? THATS what Im saying!

but Tony and others tend to say 'pfft, aint no big thing' - but really, it really is a VERY cool thing, if you asked me...

Aleksandra

Hello folks. icon_smile.gif I love that this board is a multicultural community.

Rumisong, interesting idea for a topic. I like it.

Here you say:

theres another small forum that I visit, and there are 5 folks there all from the Bay area of San Fransisco, and you could get kind of jealous when they all talk about things that only they know about... Ill not feel the slightest bit of shame if we want to start doing that now to Alek, and Golden, and Joel, and Tinker, and Vic... and...

Yes that would be in some way bad, BUT here can't happen something like that. Because we are used to share, and we are being so careful and respectful, and if is something interesting we all are jumping in icon_smile.gif, so it's ok something to be learned too.

I love to learn languages. That is my kind of passion. I learn English many years, 8 in school, and much of my knowledge is from outside, learned bc of my own interest in the language. I love this language since I was a little kid, so always since then, Im in this language, and still I have much to learn icon_rolleyes.gif

Also I was taking a courses for Italian language icon_smile.gif - one year, ok I don't know much but... Spanish I know to speak and understand, and to read, to write something too, ( not correctly but I can be understood sometimes from someone who knows Spanish ). I learned that all from TV icon_biggrin.png

Russian - I know some of it too. I studied in a school like chosen language. It was optional and I had to decide between French and Russian, so I took the second one bc of the teacher icon_smile.gif. But step by step I went even in a competition in languages - national one, and I become 5th in my country icon_biggrin.png. That was like a surprise...

But English I know and learn most seriously. I am trying to be better and better every day. icon_wink.gif

And yes Tony, this is language of the world. And thanks to the same, we have connection between all of us. But also I say, that all languages are treasure. So yes you have that honor, the English language to be your first spoken language, but we have honor to learn this or other language like second, third......In both cases I think that everybody should know at least 2 languages. I admire the polyglots. I admire the people who speaks more than one language, and that good. I wish I know this language a lot more than I know it now. And other languages too.

So yes I talked a lot icon_biggrin.png.

Thanks rumi for this nice thread. It was fun to think about this and commenting.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Actually Tony, Massachusetts is also my true home state-

I was born in New Jersey, but moved up to Mass with my family when I was 8- we landed in Concord... and my growing up was along route 2 and out to nearer 495, those towns in around there...

then when I was 30 or so, I moved to Nashua for a few years, then back to Mass, and now back over the border again for the past 4 years... I myself have not gone too much up north either- but Massachusetts Ive traveled in and around extensively ... Ive been heard to brag that Ive been to all of the 351 towns barring P-Town and the two Islands... yeah, I have yet to go onto the ferry out to the islands yet- but every other little corner, I can tell you Ive explored to some degree or other...

Im 48- so thats the past 40 years here in New England... the only other place that Ive been threatening to go live in, was Maryland, where I have a whole slew of friends... thing is, THEY are all threatening to LEAVE the hassle of the DC area, and move up HERE! - so, I decided to stay here and just wait for them to make up their minds icon_wink.gif

This IS, very cool, having the chance to get to know you all a bit more... I too hope everyone else joins in- I love knowing the Places that live in folks hearts- especially as I read their writing...

I am sorry, I cannot be part of the New England club. I am a native Californian --- SF Northbay. Not really a part of the Metropolitan San Francisco Bay Area; I live in a more rural community, although I did go to San Francisco State many years ago.

Being a Californian you kind of have to have at least a smattering of Spanish which is about what I have. I can make myself understood and if my Spanish counterpart will slow their speech down, I can even understand much of what is said. I would never attempt to write a poem in Spanish, I read Spanish better than I speak it. (but I admit I keep a Spanish English dictionary handy). My Spanish in no way compares to the excellent English spoken by members here for whom English is a 2nd or 3rd language. I am always blown away by those who are fluent in more than one language.

~~Tink

Hi Tink,

My sister lives just south of the Bay area out there- in San Benito county ... shes been trying to sell her place, and come east again- to North Carolina maybe ... I guess I hear theres a lot of people these days doing that?

lets see... shes been out there since '76, so not a native, but she was young when she left- and "never looked back" as the saying goes ...

I dont know if she ever picked up any Spanish- Ill have to ask her next time- thats really a good question!

thanks for adding in here!

Aleksandra wrote:

Hello folks.
icon_smile.gif
I love that this board is a multicultural community.

Oh, So do I!

Im loving checking in here each day- and there IS so much that one can learn here, if they are paying attention- you all are such "rich" online friends to have- Im very privileged to be amongst you icon_smile.gif

I love to learn languages. That is my kind of passion. I learn English many years, 8 in school, and much of my knowledge is from outside, learned bc of my own interest in the language. I love this language since I was a little kid, so always since then, Im in this language, and still I have much to learn

How great to hear your story Aleksandra!

tell us, if you remember, when/what was the first instance of your knowing that you liked what you were hearing, when you heard English? was it the television? someone you knew? a school lesson?

I went even in a competition in languages - national one, and I become 5th in my country
icon_biggrin.png
. That was like a surprise...

WOW, that is Awesome! *Big Smiles*

And thanks to the same, we have connection between all of us. But also I say, that all languages are treasure. So yes you have that honor, the English language to be your first spoken language, but we have honor to learn this or other language like second, third......In both cases I think that everybody should know at least 2 languages. I admire the polyglots.

Thats what Im saying... I so admire polygots too!

so, if I ever do get around to it (or as they say, 'get a round tuit'), what language today should I learn first? that too has been a question, that I use as an excuse to not begin learning one...

lovely post here for us Aleksandra, thanks!

goldenlangur

Hello rumisong,

What an exciting exchange you've unleashed here!

I rather like your humor here, vic:

Larsen M. Callirhoe wrote:

goldenlangur aleks and tony definetely know other languages but not the same languages lol.

victor michael

English is my third language. It's necessary in these parts to know regional languages so on average, most people know at least 5 languages in addition to one's mother tongue and English, which is universally used here.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Larsen M. Callirhoe
Hello rumisong,

What an exciting exchange you've unleashed here!

I rather like your humor here, vic:

victor michael

English is my third language. It's necessary in these parts to know regional languages so on average, most people know at least 5 languages in addition to one's mother tongue and English, which is universally used here.

goldenlangur

some of my relatives from europe goldenlangur spoke between five and seven languages. i know a little bit of hebrew german and spanish. i could survive in the german tongue but im not fluent in it lol. getting by in it is a lot different than being fluent in it me thinks.

i admire those that know more than one language.

vic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Aleksandra

rumisong wrote:

tell us, if you remember, when/what was the first instance of your knowing that you liked what you were hearing, when you heard English? was it the television? someone you knew? a school lesson?

Hello again rumisong. Glad you enjoy here icon_smile.gif. Interesting question you have icon_smile.gif. When I heard English for first time. Hm, TV I think, and maybe my mom too, she remembers English language, since she was a student, so maybe the woman tried to teach her little kid icon_biggrin.png, but yes, TV, movies, were the first source from where I learned more, even before to start learning the language. That was maybe when I was 6 years old.

But now I am happy because, the kids in school have English language in the early grades, even in kindergarten. So they have a chance to have a better start than I had, and everything would be easier for them.

Goldenlangur, nice to see that English is your third language, that's sound so nice. Which language is your second one? I want to have some language which is going to be my third one icon_eek.gif - ( maybe one day, who knows icon_wink.gif ).

Nice topic.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

vic, you make a very good point here:

some of my relatives from europe
goldenlangur
spoke between five and seven languages
. i know a little bit of hebrew german and spanish. i could survive in the german tongue but im not fluent in it lol. getting by in it is a lot different than being fluent in it me thinks.

i admire those that know more than one language.

vic

I wonder if it's an accident of geography which determines the need to know more languages than one's mother tongue. Although, our country is no bigger than Switzerland, we have about 17 different regional languages which are not mutually comprehensible. Therefore for us to travel around and live in the different regions of the country we need the local language. English is used in schools and official circles but the rural communities still use their regional languages, so it's really a necessity rather than an accomplishment to know a regional language or two.

Again, as our neighbours - India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh are much bigger than us, we need to know a modern south Asian language to travel and work in these parts. So here too, we learn to use two or more of our neighbours' languages. I think many of my compatriots will struggle to see, like I do, that to know more than one language, is something admirable - it's a basic requirement for our daily needs, really. icon_smile.gif

I don't mean to dismiss your admiration for those who know many languages, but I thought I would put forward the perspective from the other side.

Aleksandra - Nepali is the second language for me.

Enjoying this discussion icon_smile.gif

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

goldenlangur wrote:

it's a basic requirement for our daily needs, really.

Hi gl, You make a very good point here. And if I could expand on that - - - exposure to other languages also improves one's grasp. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and I could read the language pretty well. But my conversational Spanish has developed much more slowly because my exposure to the spoken word is limited, most everyone around me are English speakers other than my housekeeper and gardener and they are always trying to practice their English with me.

The Spanish speaking Mexican population here keep a low profile because they are often illegal. My husband on the other hand, who never took Spanish in school and until a few years ago relied on me on those occasional situations when Spanish was needed, has now far surpassed me in his ability to communicate in the language because he spends so much time on our boat in Mexico. He is now exposed to the language on a daily basis. So I think exposure to others who speak the language helps expand your ability to use the it.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

goldenlangur

Thank you Tink for sharing your experience.

You make the point so well:

Tinker wrote:

... exposure to other languages also improves one's grasp. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and I could read the language pretty well. But my conversational Spanish has developed much more slowly because my exposure to the spoken word is limited,

... My husband on the other hand, who never took Spanish in school and until a few years ago relied on me on those occasional situations when Spanish was needed, has now far surpassed me in his ability to communicate in the language because he spends so much time on our boat in Mexico. He is now exposed to the language on a daily basis. So I think exposure to others who speak the language helps expand your ability to use the it.

~~Tink

I hope all's well with you.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Hey!

i am from Bangladesh! Once upon a time no body knows where Bangladesh is, but now many people know.

English is our official language and i swear to god, English is my third language. i speak in Bangla, but not in pure forms. i can't avoid the local dialect's accent, as i have almost 6 local dialect influence in bangla. So i always fall on jeopardy, when a presentation to be done in any sophisticated forum. at that time my worst English language knowledge saves my job.

Actually i was compelled to learn this language because of two reasons: if i won't learn it, i will fail my exams where english is very important and other thing is i need to do a better job (i can't speak in pure bangla also icon_redface.gif)

besides, as much as i know, any of my ancestors didn't go to england, and i don't know when i would have the chance to go. i am pure bangali with lots of funny friends all over world who are actually migrated there.

Hey, i think i am the least studious person in this forum lol.gif !

But one day i believe, foreigners all over the country will respect our history of 21st February, 1952 our national language day!

i love what i am!

RoNy!

Aleksandra

Dear Rony. I am glad that you respect what you are, and from where you are. That is most important for the identity and personality. If you respect what you have, the others will respect also.

Yes you are right. You are studious member here, and when you are away you are missed.

I like how you think.

Thanks for sharing.

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia