Poetry Magnum Opus

Haibun

Tinker

Explore the Craft of Writing Poetry
Japanese Verse
Haibun is a joining of prose and haiku. Originating in Japan, found as far back as the 10th century and made popular by Basho in the 17th century, it is autobiographic often taking the form of a travelogue. Modern haibun often draws its inspiration from everyday events. The form usually opens with prose which is short narrative. It sets the scene or describes a specific moment in objective detail. The haiku that follows relates to the core of the prose bringing emotional insight through an intensified image. There can be one or more prose-haiku combinations.

1. The prose describes in depth a scene or moment in a detached manner. It should be brief, concise and poetic. It is written in present tense and does not give away the moment of insight that should be revealed in the haiku that follows.
  2. The haiku should not be in direct relationship with the prose but bring a different slant to the images to heighten the emotion drawn from the defining moment of the prose revealed in the haiku. It should not repeat words or phrases from the prose.

October Rain by Mike Monteuil

I cannot shake the dryness in my mouth as we walk along this country road where pick-up trucks and farm tractors shower us with dust. I turn to you once more, after touching your hand, and see that the work of God has taken hold. Now I know.... You can never be mine,never again be mine, even as I try to brush the dust off your habit.

October rain –
    the medicines
    of a long illness
    (Dec 2007 Haibun Today)

Bark Beetle by Judi Van Gorder
    Lost for words, I sit at my computer attempting to coax an inspiration from memories, answers unspoken. My thoughts clamber and clash with no clear path. Fingers sit idle on the keys hesitant to type letters onto the page. One stroke at a time, a word, a line, an image slowly grows.

forest trail obscured
    silence roars through dead pines
    one brittle twig snaps

Storm

Oh, I so want to write like Walt Whitman. His words take flight, jet-propelled. Energy escalates, raging on the page and filling me with his passion.

bold thunderbolts
    strike to ignite a tempest 
    seared into the sky
                                   ~~jvg

Sunday Funnies

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.