Poetry Magnum Opus

Tinker

1259769509_apic1-1.jpg

Orb

It's what they call a harvest moon
although the harvest is pretty much over now.

Round and orange and plump
just sitting way up there
in the November sky,
marbled silence
all alone
not really shining
more like a shadowed globe.

These days I feel
like that
full of things to say
yet isolated in the stillness
shaded by loss
and brightened by small joys,
no more a fireworks display
but a steady glow
with just enough watts to find my way.
--- --- Judi Van Gorder

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

A beautiful, albeit melancholic, trope, Tinker. I love the image, the concept, and the metaphor you deliver with the HARVEST MOON. Around these parts, it's especially big and orange like the orb in the picture you shared.

Right away, the first lines hint at what's to follow in the poem -- the harvest is pretty much over now -- and how the speaker feels that the passing of the harvest parallels her life. Even so, she's still present like the harvest moon, watchful and ready to provide guidance, a little bit of light that goes a long way. Perhaps she's stepping back a bit. But, like the moon, she's never really gone. The harvest moon itself will return again next year at harvest time.

I would like to point out that a watt is a measure of power obtained by multiplying the number of volts by the number of amps drawn by a particular load. Yes, a light bulb is rated in watts so that one may know its power consumption, but its light output is usually expressed in lumens. That's why the packages of those "energy saving" compact fluorescent light bulbs all give some amount in watts, like 13 watts, and then also state that the light bulbs "provide the same amount of lumens as a 75 watt light bulb." I might be inclined to change "watts" to "lumens" in the last line, but that's just my training as an electrician speaking. I think the normal person would understand that when you say watts you are referring to light output or candlepower. But, it might sound nice if you use lumens and change "show" to "light": ... with just enough lumens to light the way.

I love the poem. Brightened by small joys/no more a firework display sums it up quite gracefully.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Hey Tony, Thank you for the comments and I took your advise and changed show to light... I think I will stick with "watts" however because I relate to the word. I had never heard the word lumens before reading your explaination and I think like me most readers won't have either. Although I do like to be technically correct in this case I will stick with my instincts.

Thanks again. ~~Tink

Hi Tinker,

This really strikes a chord with me, very touching. It has a mellow tone, slow, soft, but persistent. Loved these lines:

shaded by loss

and brightened by small joys

no more a firework display

but a steady beam

Actually, the ending is excellent.

Warmly,

Lake

hi Tinker, as always, a delicious reading. I like the moon which rarely appears this way. I happened to see her last year. It was a wonder. Moon has been worshipped by our Chinese literati of yesterday and today. They use her to relate their joys and sorrows. In your poem sight of moon also strikes you. the shadowy glow is your small joys for the steady beam. much appreciated here

The first stanza introduces a very impressive background, just two lines but the plain words are of nostalgic beauty. The Second stanza develops the theme naturally and beautifully, and the third a reflection of your thoughts with contrasting power. I like the descriptive words for the moon and your sentiment. The moon hanging aloof, well expresses your unconventional grace.

Xiao-zhen.

Edited by worm

Thank you Little Pearl, i appreciate your comments on my poem. How beautiful is the moon that it has such an impact on your culture as well as my own and so many others. A uniting force which touches us collectively as well as individually. We all see something in the moon. I am sorry you see it seldom. Living in a rural area, unless the clouds obscure it, the moon is a nightly visitor that I can observe in all stages.

~~Tink

The passing of time and aging are wonderfully captured here with a ruminative grace that fits the subject well. Rather wistful but with a honed message of hope= No longer fireworks but a steady illumination- and sometimes as we grow older there is a great deal of comfort in that! ;-)

Well done Tinker,

DC&J

Frank E Gibbard

Nice reflective poem Tink visuals imagery and relationship to other transitions spot on. Wonderful liunar observations, Frank.

• 5 years later...

An old poem that fits the season Since I seem to only be able to haiku lately.

harvest moon hangs high
in bleak November sky
marbled silence streams
                        ~~jvg