• Announcements

• tonyv

Registration -- to join PMO   03/14/2017

Automatic registration has been disabled. If you would like to join the Poetry Magnum Opus online community, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page.
    • tonyv

IMPORTANT: re Logging In to PMO ***Attention Members***   03/15/2017

For security purposes, please use your email address when logging in to the site. This will prevent your account from being locked when malicious users try to log in to your account using your publicly visible display name. If you are unable to log in, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tinker

Trine

1 post in this topic

Explore the Craft of Writing Poetry

French Poetry

The Trine is a verse form which apparently originated in France and is described at Poetry Base. Trine is Anglo-French meaning "three each" and in astronomy it is three planets 120 degrees adjacent to each other forming an equilateral triangle.

The Trine is:

• a poem in 9 lines made up of 3 rhymed couplets followed by a tercet.
  • isosyllabic, (same syllable count), using the French Heroic line, the Alexandrine, would be appropriate but I don't think it is a prerequisite. (I use 9 syllable lines in the example below.)
  • rhymed, rhyme scheme a a b b c c a b c.

Trifling Trinity by Judi Van Gorder

High pitch chatter comes out of the dark,

a racing rat skitters through the park.

On his tail a dragon breathing fire

chasing the rodent into a briar.

While up in a palm a monkey cheered

and clapped his hands thinking nothing weird.

This gay game they play I must remark,

for some is nothing to aspire,

though for this three it's fun commandeered.

One trine in Chinese Astrology is the Rat, the Dragon and the Monkey. The Trine is also the name of a popular Video Game, although I have no idea what the theme of the game is.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0