Poetry Magnum Opus

Bark Beetle

Tinker

Inspired by one of gl's prose prompts, here is my attempt at a haibun.

Bark Beetle
Lost for words, I sit at my computer attempting to coax an inspiration from memories, answers unspoken. My thoughts clamber and clash with no clear path. Fingers sit idle on the keys hesitant to type letters onto the page. One stroke at a time, a word, a line, an image slowly grows.

forest trail obscured
silence roars through dead pines
one brittle twig snaps
                             -- jvg

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

I love it, Tinker! I have told Golden several times that I will attempt a haibun, and this gives me more incentive to do so! It's most enjoyable how you take an undesireable situation -- writer's block -- and turn it into a work of art: a haibun. I love how it progresses from "I can't think of what to write" to

One stroke at a time a word, a line, an image slowly grows.

wilderness trail

silence roars through dead pines

answers unspoken

Great title, too!

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hi Tink,

What a wonderful fisrt person voice your haibun has and also a contemporary tone. You capture vividly the moments before the Muse relents.

Very impressive this write and your closing haiku works well too.

gpldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleksandra

I like this tooTink. I like it more and more this form. And yes I agree the golden's haibun was so inspired.

I loved all expression in this short haibun

Thank you Tinker for sharing

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Cougars have reputations?

Never knew that !

I love older women, they are much more sensible....friendly.....

trustworthy.....way more honest......dignified icon_queen.png

Great haibun, Tinker.

I like the idea in it and even in the prose part there's rhythm and sound such as clammer, clash, clear...

The title is interesting, too. I am no expert in entomology but I guess there must be some correlation you can draw between the process of writing and bark beetles.

Enjoyed it.

Lake

Thank you Lake, I am glad you liked it.

In the San Bernardino Mountains, because of a long draught, there was an infestation of the Bark Beetle and thousands and thousands of pines are dead or dying. It is a tragedy. The forest must be purged of the dead wood and replanted, a monumental task. When I can't think of something to write, I guess I feel infested by the Bark Beetle.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Wistful Poet

Sweet poem Tink!

"If you are faced with a dissappointment or a bad situation ask, will it matter in 10 years?

Wow! wonderful! I love both, the form and your haibun! I worte one haibun sometime back and quite enjoyed the process. You inspire me to write another!

And wonderful title too..

Way to go girl!! icon_biggrin.pngicon_razz.gif

• 7 years later...

An interesting, informative, enjoyable and unusual format. The idea also works as a prompt for longer pieces: I often write prose notes (thoughts) that are later distilled into a more poetic form. Nicely done. G.

I am glad to see a haibun because I also tried my hand on it after learning to write haikus. The imagery of being still versus a twig snapping in the silence. Nice.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach