Roll of a drum excites the throng
while daredevil diver starts his climb.

Fill your tummy, hot dogs with squeeze
of mustard, cotton candy spree,
ice cream, slurpies and chili cheese
fries all puke up in harmony.
Indulge in summer fantasy
soak up the playful atmosphere
just feast and cheer, let's chug a beer.
Pay your dime and have a good time.

Pure nonsense I've written in rhyme
a Barzalletta, carnival song.
                     . . . ~~Judi Van Gorder Barzelletta

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

A terrific poem to showcase the form, Tinker. It captures the old-fashioned pastime, the carnival. Midway, rides, demolition derby -- I can remember the big one that always came around the week of July 4th where I grew up.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Lovely imagery that works well with the form.. and a welcome change to read something light and refreshing that makes me want to "chug a beer" (or maybe two or more) . :biggrin:

Carefree entertainment Tink with plenty of sound plays to bind the poem. Perhaps the only off note for me was 'puke' - bursts the fantasy bubble?

cheers

badge

Thank you Tony, I go to the Sonoma County Fair every July/August and in one section there is still a Carni atmosphere. Spend $25. to shoot out balloons a win a 25 cent stuffed animal. No naked ladies anymore but freak shows (2 headed snake was the last I saw, creepy), junk food dominates and even the diving daredevil are still there every year.

Yes Benjamin, we can't always take ourselves seriously.

Thanks Badge, Puking is part of the fun as long as it is not you... ~~smile~~

I have to admit, when I just need to write something from my heart it is free verse that flows most naturally. But as you know I am also obsessed with the study of the craft of writing and have researched the historical and cultural genres and forms that brought us to today's poetry.

I am now going back to my research on forms and trying to fill in the blanks. Writing more example poems inspired by my findings. Stange that when poems begin with a prescribed theme and frame they often take on their own life and something results that never would I have thought to write otherwise. The genre and form seem to dictate the words that I write. So it is in this case.

The Barzalletta is one of those that has eluded me for a long time. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to write one. I have a pretty good sense of humor but when I want to be deliberately funny my mind goes blank. I can see Brendan taking on the unrhymed couplet Barzalletta and creating something that would have us all rolling in laughter. I can only say, writing this poem I didn't know what was coming from one word to the next. I am open to suggestions for improvement as long as it stays within the frame of the form.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

I really like the images and flow of the second stanza. Fun stuff!! And puke: appropriate at a carnival. :)