• Announcements

• tonyv

Registration -- to join PMO   03/14/2017

Automatic registration has been disabled. If you would like to join the Poetry Magnum Opus online community, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page. ___________________ [Registration will only be enabled for a short while from the time your message is received, so please check your email for a reply and register within 24 hours of using the "Contact Us" link. (Be sure to check your spam folder if you don't see a reply to your message.)]
    • tonyv

IMPORTANT: re Logging In to PMO ***Attention Members***   03/15/2017

For security purposes, please use your email address when logging in to the site. This will prevent your account from being locked when malicious users try to log in to your account using your publicly visible display name. If you are unable to log in, use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tinker

Pressure Cooker #17 Poem a Day

4 posts in this topic

Pressure Cooker

I remember my Mom
cooking stews in her pressure cooker
and I got mine as a wedding
gift along with a meat
grinder and flour sifter
now all relegated
to the back of the cupboard.

I have to admit
I was a little afraid
of my cooker
I watched like a hawk
while that round weight
on top rocked
back and forth
just waiting for it to blow.

So now
that same kitchen basic
makes headlines
I guess I was right
to fear it
it seems it is the perfect host
to send nails and ball bearings
into the legs and guts
of unsuspecting passers bye.

-------------------- ---Judi Van Gorder

More Boston Marathon Bombing poems see Frank's Marathon by Frank E Gibbard or my  marathon haikus or April 15

A solid take on the impalatable subject that has afflicted those poor people. My take in my poem labelled Not an NPM was directly about the race and of course wanting the perpetrators caught, your personal alusive point of reference the obscene misuse of domestic equipment is neatly done and pursuasive and thought-provoking. Those thoughts are with Boston, London will have a silence at the marathon on Sunday. Well done Tink addressing the sadness hereby. Frank

Thanks Frank, I was just trying to share some of my thoughts as the news unfolds. I read your poem and had just posted my marathon haikus so thought to come back to your piece a little later to respond. I think when events like this happen writing about our feelings gives us an outlet. I remember writing about the subway bombings in London a few years ago. I include them here so I can put them in my Archive.

~~Tink

#103 7-7-05

commute subways bombed
common folk are targeted
cowards stike again

#102 7-7-05

London under siege
terror targets civilians
Brit's will not cower

Thanks for that Tink as a Londoner who well recalls. Only yesterday my friend in a pub, where else, told me about his son who as a firefighter carried a woman up out of the tube that had been bombed as she could not walk. Chilling stuff to hear of at first-hand.

Frank