Poetry Magnum Opus

Fuzzy

Tinker

c3c553cc-d222-465f-92ae-040317443986_zps4cf1f04f.jpg34347_423035759840_503989840_4241231_3653962_n.jpg

Brooklyn aka Fuzzy and Allexa, two of my granddaughters.

Fuzzy

She arrived with a yawlp and a gasp
as her tiny lungs filled with air.
Ten fingers, ten toes.
Perfect!

The threat came from within,
revealed itself slowly,
hidden inside from before birth.
A simple hiccup of the womb,
an artery twists
the left-brain growth stops,
a candle is extinguished.

But a glimmer of promise
shines through her bright smile.
Her right-brain shelters
a brilliant flame
that sparkles
behind alert sea-deep green eyes
and lights a path to the future
                              .--Judi Van Gorder

MayChildhoodStrokeAwareness_zpsc11fc2d7.jpg

Fuzzy suffered a stroke while in the womb and was born with only half a brain. The left brain simply never developed. Consequently she was born paralyzed on the right side and we had no idea what other functions she would be deprived of. Speech as well as organizational skills (math) are areas controlled by the left brain. She was diagnosed at 6 months old and is now 6 years old. She has had therapy since she was 7 months old, she walks and runs (with a limp and now with a brace but can look forward to a few surgeries which will allow her leg to grow at the same rate her as her left), she can control her right arm but her right hand cannot function and probably never will. She can't pick up or hold a pencil with her right hand. As for speech, it is hard to get her to shut up. Thankfully her cognitive functions and intellect are in tact and she is an early 1st grader in a 1st - 2nd grade class, an A student who just received the Principal's Award for Outstanding academics. (She is a math whiz doing 2nd grade work when according to her age she should be in Kindergarten.)She does have a seizure disorder for which she will need to take medication the rest of her life although she has not had a seizure since infancy. Amongst her family she is an outgoing, fun little Diva but in public among strangers she is very shy. When she was 5 she asked why her baby brother could pick things up with both hands and she couldn't and when told her reaction was "that's not fair". She is currently in hippo therapy, physical therapy on horseback which we are hoping will help her avoid some surgeries on her leg and give her more confidence in the big world away from the protection of her family.

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Hi Tinker,

Such an indearing photo. She looks normal as a normal girl looks.

I've never heard about childhood stroke. Thanks for bringing the awareness.

As I heard, many people depend highly on their left brains, so their right brains are less used. I hope Fuzzy can make full use of her right brain to be imaginative and creative. I am not a doctor, just want to send my best wishes to Fuzzy.

The poem is tender with love and hope. As you wrote:

But a glimmer of promise

shines through her bright smile.

Her right-brain shelters

a brilliant flame

that sparkles

behind alert sea-deep green eyes

and lights a path to the future.

This is all we expect.

Best,

Lake

Thanks Lake, Fuzzy is a little miracle and I forgot to mention is the artist of the family and she loves to sing. Her art is far beyond the other girls in the family at the same age. She clearly is using her right brain to the fullest. In our lighter moments when she was much younger we used to joke that when she got into school and was struggling with math, she would at least have a legitimate excuse. Who knew her favorite academic subject would be math.

~~Tink

ps. love the new avatar, is it one of your paintings?

Frank E Gibbard

This is an uplifting account of triumph over adversity Tink, personal but universal, what a charming little girl she looks. Frank

moonqueen

What beautiful children, both of them. They look alike, don't they? Seems she brings much joy to your family. These things can be difficult, I know, first hand. A lovely poem, Judi. And you can see it on her face, she will take her place in this world.

t

Gatekeeper

Love that flowers-in-the-hair pic!

Hope such smiles continue!

from the black desert

• 1 month later...
David W. Parsley

Tinker, I skipped over this poem the first time I saw it, nearly robbing myself of this remarkable sunburst. I thought it was about fuzzy math or something, not Fuzzy the Math Whiz! I am touched by the story and the poem, and moved beyond expression by the courage to post it here. Thank you for sharing with your PMO friends this very personal tale of triumph and beauty, one little girl's saga of grace under pressure.

- Dave

Thank you all for reading and responding so supportively to my granddaughter. I'm looking forward to next week when I will be in So CA playing with Fuzzy and her siblings. (I'm actually going to attend my oldest granddaughter's graduation to Middle School.)

~~Tink