Poetry Magnum Opus

Poems on the theme of the Great War

dedalus

Note to the Reader:

The War of 1914-18 has been something of an obsession with me since I was a child in Dublin and would come across some of the veterans, often in barber shops for some reason, and frequently missing an arm or a leg. They would never talk about it. These older poems come from the PG index which has the most complete collection of my work/ play since 2004, and you should be able to access them as a non-member. If not, let me know and I'll dig out some alternative links. All this may or may not be interesting and you can safely ignore it.

published article , 2005 (recreated on Blog):

Slideshow (this one actually works!)

Best wishes,

Brendan (dedalus)

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Frank E Gibbard

A quick look only is well worth it iro those not seen before, you could have referenced another site too Bren as a reminder it's still up the net.

The slide show is terrific also horrific of course its classic music helps somewhat.

Cheers old ami. Frank AKA Frank.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

I have been reading about the battle of Somme v recently. So many Brits died in one day and even more wounded because of chemical warfare. Such a sad day in history....

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Beg pardon, Frank. The only reason I used PG was that they have the most complete record of my poems since 2004 and they were comparatively easy to find using the Search facility. I generally post first nowadays on Magnum Opus and my loyalty to the site is assured! Glad you liked the Slideshow. There is another slideshow link ("Dublin Rambler") in the footnotes section of the 1916 poems.

Thanks for your comment, Larsen. The Germans didn't use gas on the Somme because they didn't have to. The British attacking force was instructed to WALK towards the German trenches and were consequently mowed down by machine guns. They had 57,000 casualties, 19,000 dead, the worst losses ever suffered by the British Army in a single day either before or since.

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Hi Brendan, my mind wants to say the battle of Somme that chemical Warfare was used. I got it confused with another battle. Excuse my late night remark last night. Yeah I was reading up on the battle on how many died that single day the worst day of fatalities for the British in battle because the day of Armistice was revered the show said as a reason it was concocted was because of the battle of Somme and other reasons relating to bloodshed during the great war. but the history channel doesn't always give the right facts. SOOOOOO,...... For some reason I could have sworn when I was watching the History channel that they said chemical warfare was used this day although I wasn't paying attention to the show attentively until after they reported how many died in one day of battle and how many died or wore wounded that day. I could have easily mistake-d battles when the first battle chemical warfare was used in. Yeah they were ignorant just to send soldiers to their death marching (running for their lives) basically into machine gunfire. What got my attention was how many died. I read upon the battle about the bloodshed, but am still reading up on the battle of Somme. A mistake on my behalf without checking facts to make sure first. I've done stuff like this before. Sorry pardon my apparent ignorance.

Larsen M. Callirhoe