I hear the howl
of whipping wind
hurling pellets of rain
against my windowpane.
Candles lit, dimming the darkness;
muted shadows yawn and stretch low.
We're snuggled dry inside,
me and my furry friend.

That's all I've got, playing with simple poetic form. When using this as an example of the poetic form I inverted L5 to fit the requirement of the form, no falling or feminine end words. "Dimming the darkness, candles lit;" Struggling to write much? http://www.poetrymagnumopus.com/index.php?showtopic=1882#octodil

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Octo-licious!

Peaceful.

hi Tink

Reminds me that we are like any other creature when nature unleashes such weather. Snuggled is the right retreat in such circumstances.

best

badge

Simple is good: it has a positive feel without feminine line endings and your 'warm' choice of language offers a broad poetic appeal. G

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny that before I clicked on the link to explore the form, I was unaware that this was a syllabic poem. I read it as an iambic poem with two lines of dimiter, followed by two lines of trimiter, two lines of tetrameter, and two more lines of trimeter. You've crafted a syllabic poem, but it's also iambic. It almost can't be helped; English is predominantly an iambic language. When it comes to our speech, our prose, and our poetry it just comes out that way!

I loved Candles lit, dimming the darkness. It's the highlight, the peak of the poem whereas me and my furry friend is the wind down. Very cozy, not a bad place to be.

Tony :happy:

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

David W. Parsley

Tinker, join my voice with those that went before. I enjoyed this cozy poem.

- Dave