Poetry Magnum Opus

Hello to All PMO Members (Februry, 2017)

tonyv

I'm writing to say hi to all active PMO members. I'm posting this topic here in the Member Poetry forum so that it gets noticed, and I will move it to General or elsewhere in good time.

Some (or all) of you may see me as an absentee, and I'm sorry for that, but I assure you that I am present. I see the topics and the activity, and I'm involved behind the scenes every day. I see your poetry, your posts, your works and your participation, and I value all of it. I'm sorry for my lack of participation in all your terrific topics; my lack of public participation simply comes down to where I am in life, personally, at the moment. When it comes to PMO, be sure that, so far, there is nothing in this for me financially. As you can see there are no ads on this site. I make no money on this web property. In fact, I pay for it, month after month, year after year; the site is not monetized in any way, and it costs me money every month. What it comes down to is that, for me, it's a labor of love. The site is here because I see it as a worthwhile endeavor. Obviously, those of you who participate here do also.

New members have joined. Some, at the university level, have cited the Reference section as their reason for joining. Judi Van Gorder (Tinker), deserves all the credit for this terrific resource, and it's there for all Members, first and foremost, and also for others, who value poetry, to benefit from. Clearly it's a labor of love for Judi, too, because there's nothing in this for her (financially) either.

PMO is here for you, the Members. Enjoy it and do what you will. Use it and make of it what you want. I'm here if you need me.

Your trustee,

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thanks Tony for your presense in spirit and your continued support in the background. I do miss your posts though but certainly understand. And I know if some issue came up where we needed your help you are available.

I hope that time when your presense can be more visible will come when your life allows. You are in my thoughts every time I come to this forum and lurk. Haha, I too am pretty invisible here but I actually visit the forum almost daily to read the great poetry here and and often looking for ways to improve on the articles in the reference section. The growth of the poets here since the inception of the forum is phenomenal. I always thought they were all good but now all of them are or could be published. One of the finest groups of poets on the internet.

In the meantime thank you again and it is good to see you are still here.

~~ Judi

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Tony. Your efforts are much appreciated: Also, Judi's reference site is superb, a true labour of love. The members who contribute and spend time here may not be prolific but consistently present work of quality and variety. My best wishes and kindest regards to all. Geoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Judi, Phil, and Geoff, for your kind attention and replies. I just wanted members to know, in case any were wondering, that the board isn't an unmanned ship adrift in cyberspace or a mere source of revenue for an absentee landlord.

I do believe, as you have pointed out, that PMO has the finest core membership. I am honored to be the curator of its world class collection.

Tony :happy:

PS -- I actually posted a poem today! It's six lines, and for me as of late, that's a pretty big deal. I'll also try to get to a few replies this week. -_-

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

David W. Parsley

Tony, your commitment to this site is an inspiration. I am grateful for PMO. It is a place to find poetry not ruled by the tyranny of academia, which has imposed a standard of taste that excludes much work that could eventually prove more permanent. (For a prophetic anticipation of today's scene, check out "Who Killed Poetry," by David Orr, clear back in 1988.) But that permanence can be realized only if there is some place to go back and retrieve the work currently dismissed by "the Establishment. PMO will be one of those repositories, in my opinion. Thanks for your vision and commitment (time and money.)

Dave

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/who-killed-poetry/

David W. Parsley

P.S. I also want to thank Tony for this post. It's just good to know that you are doing okay. It is also good to see your comments in the 'Member Poetry' and the 'Member Poetry (overflow)' sections. (Though not in 'Workshop'... ;-)).

Dave Again

Tony, your commitment to this site is an inspiration. I am grateful for PMO. It is a place to find poetry not ruled by the tyranny of academia, which has imposed a standard of taste that excludes much work that could eventually prove more permanent. (For a prophetic anticipation of today's scene, check out "Who Killed Poetry," by David Orr, clear back in 1988.) But that permanence can be realized only if there is some place to go back and retrieve the work currently dismissed by "the Establishment. PMO will be one of those repositories, in my opinion. Thanks for your vision and commitment (time and money.)

Dave

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/who-killed-poetry/

Thanks for checking in, Dave. And thanks for the link you shared. I'll check it out.

P.S. I also want to thank Tony for this post. It's just good to know that you are doing okay. It is also good to see your comments in the 'Member Poetry' and the 'Member Poetry (overflow)' sections. (Though not in 'Workshop'... ;-)).

Dave Again

Too funny! I'm happy to report that I've resolved to be around more often, but it will take time, a while, for me to get to those topics in the Workshop. Clearly the works you've posted there (Marti has one, too) and the discussions are advanced and deserve more than I am qualified to offer quickly.

I'm working on activating some unused features on the site. There's a "Portal" feature I think could serve as the main page for the site. I'm hoping to showcase some new content: articles, promoted topics (including ones from the Promotions and Reference subforums), events that members might want to promote, etc. Comments will be enabled so discussions can ensue. Some ideas for content:

1. Articles/news about member poets, other poets, poetry, and the literary arts generated both internally and found elsewhere on the web (not copy/pasted or otherwise reproduced but referenced for discussion purposes)

2. Promoted topics from the Promotions subforum if the authors are willing to generate some additional content about the published works, their experiences with the various places of publication, any pictures if they so choose, etc.

3. Members who might want to promote themselves would be welcome to submit articles, bios, achievements, projects, etc. for consideration to be showcased as articles

4. Promoted Reference section topics with comments enabled

I'll make a topic for discussion and open the Portal for Member participation once I get it set up. The Portal will hopefully serve as a "blog for the site" (and its Membership) serving up quality content. When it's eventually underway, I'll make it visible to guests.

Tony

[i'll pin this topic for now.]

• tonyv unpinned this topic