Poetry Magnum Opus

Email

Tinker

This is a poem I wrote as an example for one of the verse forms I am documenting further down in this forum. I already posted the poem over at PC but in honor of rhyme guy who is known to like to write in rhyming couplets I am bringing it here. It is an exercise in catalectic trochaic tetrameter with head and tail rhyme. Now doesn't that sound pretentious, just writing the description makes me laugh at myself.  The particular verse form is called a Margeda.

Email

Quick communication sketch,
pick an address, forward, fetch.
Jokes in mass invade my box,
folks sworn send political talks.
Photos, dogs and kids and chain
posts still pledging luck or pain,
"Send this on! If not you’ll die".
Ending ads “A deal, must buy!
Debt reductions cons abuse,
get in touch and read the news.
Friendships lost, renewed once more
mending wounds ignored before.
Now and then a cherished note,
Wow! It's those on which I dote.
             -------- ---Judi Van Gorder

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

bookmarked to return to this, to give it a go myself...

some days are "rhyme days" and some days are "deep meaning days" for me... so Ill have to wait for a rhyme day to come along - theyre a bit rarer for me icon_smile.gif

but i LOVE reading this (and, indeed, all of yours tink!)

I enjoyed the sentiment expressed, Tinker. Yes, anything received from a loved one these days, whether it's an email or a handwritten note, is a treasure in the midst of all the junk that shows up every day.

I, too, enjoy your example poems. They're quite good in their own right, even though you create them for the purpose of illustrating the verse forms ... And you say you haven't been writing! icon_rolleyes.gif

Tony icon_smile.gif

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Aleksandra

Dear Tink, the poem is nice but I want to say something else. How is possible to be able to make a poems - examples for most of the forms?! Ok this looks like a question :), but really I am impressed because it is one thing to understand the form verses theoretical and other thing to use them in practical.

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge with us Tink.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

Thanks Rumi, The verse form is called the Margeda... I know what you mean... I have been writing example poems for so long I am a little afraid I can't write a serious poem anymore.

Thank you for your support Tony, by the way you have a good knowledge of meter and rhyme if you ever want to give one of the verse forms a try I would love the help. I already have example poems from Frank (alphabestiary) Fader (Rondelet) and Lake (Fibonacci variation)

Aleks thank you... It isn't that hard once you put your mind to it, you just have to have a good understanding of the frame of the verse form then come up with a subject to write about. The best part is, when writing an example of a verse form, the structure comes first which gives me a little forgiveness in playing with words.  Normally, poetry should be written with the content or soul of a poem coming first and the structure is just there to enhance the delivery.  Which makes adhering to a particular verse or stanzaic form a little harder. 

Frank thanks for reading. Yes the verse form fits your style of writing... Take one of your poems, throw in a little head rhyme and you pretty much have a Margeda. (that is the name of the form)

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 2 years later...
Larsen M. Callirhoe

tinker i thought i had commente on this but i guess i didn't. this is so enjoyable to read. it is fast paed and smooth to read and sounds lyrica to the ear. much enjoyed.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe