Poetry Magnum Opus

I found a site that has free poetry classes that gives quality one on one instruction in subjects such as meter, rhyme, syllabic verse, haiku and the use of refrains and figurative language. I am trying it out by taking the beginning classes in Meter and Refrains and now have added the beginning haiku class. It moves at your pace and although it begins with basics it never hurts to review if you are already accomplished in those subjects or if you are like me, I always start at the beginning and I always learn something new. There are also advanced courses in some of the subjects. I have gotten very helpful feed back from all three instructors so if anyone is interested in honing your skills you can go to All Poetry.

Here is a poem I wrote for an assignment to write 10 lines in trochaic octameter. I wrote as an example of Czech -Fourteenth Century Traditional Couplets.

Trochee

Understand that writing metric feet times eight will spread trochaic
lines so long, without some music words could look and sound archaic.
Struggling all the day away, producing one more passing piece,
forced to step from comfort zone and I don't have the expertise.
Stretching, trying drills of merit. Why is it so hard when writing
words with forward accents, backward to the normal pattern? Fighting
instinct, placing faith in hearing senses, stressing left instead of
right though lots of gerunds help the process. Ending rhyme ahead of
running out of options, plotting plodding tempos ever ending
lines on weak and falling sounds. Hopeful, here's my poem pending. . . .
--------------------------------------- --- Judi Van Gorder

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Aleksandra

Tinker thanks for sharing the link, who offers a lot.

Your poem is nice and a little bit too hard for me. Theoretical poem with a lot of knowledge. I like it.

Thanks for sharing.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

Hi Tink,

I'm impressed with the way you take the poetic form bull by the horns and live to tell the tale icon_wink.gif This is very good as a poem - full of ironic touches and self-deprecatory humor. This is quite brilliant:

Why is it so hard when writing

right though lots of gerunds help the process.

I couldn't tell you what to improve but would like to say how much I enjoyed this.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Tinker, this is unprecedented: we have Dr. Con presenting a short piece, and you're writing trochaic octameter!:D I haven't yet tried trochaic meter, but, if I do, I think even tetrameter will be a challenge.

I'm glad to see you trying a course. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Well done, Tink!!

I just love the way you stick your neck out and try new things ... and very very successfully, I might add! As you can see, I took your advice and joined this list.

ded

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Aleks, I believe you can do anything you put your mind to. icon_wink.gif I haven't tried to write in Macedonian yet.

gl, Thank you I am glad you found the humor. I decided a long time ago that life is too short not to find a way to smile.

Tony, You will never find me writing in trochaic octameter again. I am working on the next assignment now.. to write 12 lines in dactylic tetrameter. I have 2 lines so far.... icon_eek.gif

dedalus, Welcome! I am glad you decided to join us. I think you will find this a site to your liking. And thank you for your encouragement...

~~Tink

Hi Tinker,

I must admit, your title scared me away at first. I didn't click it open until today and I am so glad I did. The read leads me to a smile where the real fun starts:

Why is it so hard when writing

right

I think you've got the gist of writing Trochee and it seems a piece of pie for you to handle.

Much admiration.

Lake

Thank you, Lake, I know the title sounds boring but... what can I say, focusing on meter is boring unless you add a little of your own personality to it. I am glad you had fun with it too.

~~Tink

OK you guys! Most lines can be turned from iambic to trochaic if you add up front a one-syllable word that is emotionally stronger than the first syllable in the original. Or, a line can be rewritten by a clever change of the initial words to do that. Once, to prove the point I rewrote a classic limeric in anapests, of course, into iambic, trochaic and amphibrachic.

Don't let anyone sell you any goods on how to write poems unless you have tested their contentions thoroughly and found their opinions unshakable.

While writing in trochaic octometer is a good challenge do remember it is accepted that, in English, any line betond 14 syllables becomes boring, unless there is a definite caesura somewhere near the middle.

This does not in the least detract anything from the value of Tinker's poem.