Poetry Magnum Opus

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. dcmarti1

Friends in Manhattan

"...random becomes deliberate....." I hope somebody steals that from you! 😉 Love that.
  3. badger11

Visitations

Thank you Tony. Pleased you enjoyed. all the best Phil
  4. Yesterday
  5. A. Baez

Hubris

I have found in The Chicago Manual of Style and on the site ProWritingAid what could be construed as endorsements of my initial advice to you. In the latter's exhaustive list of when commas should be used in a sentence is this item: "When a word is omitted intentionally for stylistic reasons." However, neither source's examples of this guideline resemble the case we've been discussing, so I'm not sure if the rule is really applicable here. Then again, the Manual also says that "Aside from [the few obligatory rules of comma usage], the use of the comma is mainly a matter of good judgement, with ease of reading the end in view." This is exactly the opposite of what the source I'd cited earlier said! So, it seems that the confusion is definitive.
  6. dcmarti1

Covered for 100 Days by Medicare

We must have some psychic ESP, posting such close topics so close in time.
  7. Tinker

Covered for 100 Days by Medicare

Hi Marti, This one hurts, I know these 100 days, I've lived them twice with my husband over the past three years. Thankfully, his mind did recover as well as his body. But there were many moments when I was unsure. But those days he was in the rehab facility gave me a much needed break when I thought I might go under. And now my friend is taking this journey. See my blog, As Reflected. ~~Judi
  8. In saving the body, have they condemnedHer to brief moments of lucidity?In strengthening the arms and the legs,How will they again give power to her voice?Unsteady is the hand that feeds the mouth;The once clear eyes question the simplestOf questions in reply; the IndianAnd Nigerian nurses call her byHer nickname but that she understands.
  9. The 3500-year-old Rig Veda describes the individual as a crystal woven into the cross threads of the fabric of the universe. Our reflection is colored by the myriad of other crystals that surround us into infinity. I am who I am as perceived in the eye of the beholder, whether it be you the reader, myself, a stranger I pass on the street, a coworker, a lover, acquaintance or a friend. Last night I received a phone call from one of my oldest friends. She was wrapping herself in the tattered and worn fabric of her memory and grasping at the elusive rainbow of color she perceived to be me.Her first words reflected me as a young girl. "Is this ?", she used my maiden name. The weak voice was unsure and timid. It was not the strong, assured voice of my life long friend, but I recognized her. We've known each other since the 3rd grade. She reminded me she lived on the block above mine. We walked to school together. She was always pulling on me, afraid of being late while I would hang back picking up pretty leaves or finding some other distractions. We both sang in the choir, she is a soprano, sometimes soloist. I am an alto, I sang harmony. Our differences separated us and brought us together. She followed the rules, I blurred them. To her, I reflected the golden optimism of our youth.She gained confidence and mentioned our time at college, we swam together at the same school. I literally saved her from drowning. No great feat of heroism, she panicked and thought she was drowning, she just needed calming and I was there. If I hadn't been, she very well may have. Two small fish in a big pond. Her first love was no good for her, controlling and abusive. It was me she confided in, hid her from him, took her to get help. She was breaking free of the rules and I was her guide. I was her savior, the blue glow of trust my mantel.Then we went our separate ways when she went east to another school and I dropped out to earn some money. She returned to be my maid of honor, and I was her matron of honor a few years later. I embraced my passion for horses, rode color guard, trekked into the wilderness, became a Mom and eventually an insurance agent. She was an early childhood teacher who went on to get her Masters then Ph.D. She became a sex therapist and eventually a corporate consultant. Though we lived on separate ends of the state, we continued to get together at least once a year. I remain married to my first husband, while she had three husbands and a couple of lovers. Yet she saw me as the explorer and wrote about my scarlet adventures in her thesis. The last time we spoke, almost 4 years ago, she was preparing to move and she'd recently fallen and had had a concussion which caused some short term memory loss. Near the end of the conversation, she sounded irritated because I was asking too many questions. Then her birthday card was returned and her voice mail was full. She disappeared from social media and fell off the grid until last night. She was in a hospital, she didn't know why what hospital or what city. She didn't want to talk about herself, she wanted me to do the talking. She couldn't remember her address but would tell me next time we talked. I know she is being cared for, though I fear she may be lost to me. But here we are in our winter white, and she is reaching for the swath of colors she perceives me to be. rainbow hues reflect off crystals colors of me ~~jvg Keep writing, ~~ Judi
  10. tonyv

Visitations

Is this a perfect evening?!? Art appreciation, the green fairy muse, and together time -- is it time to turn in, call it a night? A lovely esoteric piece ... Tony
  11. Last week
  12. tonyv

Tentsmuir (Remix)

Just a guess on my part. But we have some access to the author, so we'll ask. Inquiring minds want to know. Paging Barry! 😃
  13. A. Baez

Tentsmuir (Remix)

Tony, I see! I had imagined that it was a metaphor about something like spring making herself able to see herself more clearly again, but that just doesn't make a lot of sense. @eclipse, what is the answer?
  14. tonyv

Hotel Heroin

Awesome work, BottomsIn. It's a dark path. Others have been down it, and more will follow. I loved it (the poem, that is). Tony Ozzy Osbourne - Suicide Solution
  15. Bottomsln

Hotel Heroin

On my backs a burden & it's a heavy load. Caused me to carelessly turn down this road. Been driving for a while just snorting pills Now running low on funds from cash it kills My pockets are tired & could use a break Cheaper solution appears so that turn I make It's a hotel & I see a vacancy sign With the bottom reading you only snort its fine While pulling in I see an ambulance is leaving. With a mother of three, sitting outside grieving When i walk up to the door, it's off the hinges See the lobby floor & it's filled with syringes My decision to come i'm already hate'n At the front desk i'm welcomed by satan Wish I could leave but I'm already here listened to what he said & heard him clear You only have to try us a night, you"ll see Since it's your first time this ones free Submitting to his ploy, he showed me a room Upon walking in I got high as the moon After I came back down I'd chosen my path Sold my soul to the devil for heroins wrath Now my life is ruined without a doubt I've checked myself in, can't check back out
  16. tonyv

koala

I see you've edited the poem and added some more lines, Barry. The line I was referring to was: "fingertips of drowning men scrape the hull." I love it. Tony
  17. tonyv

Tentsmuir (Remix)

Yes, Phil, that's the one. Thank you! Tony 🙂
  18. Tinker

koala

Barry, what a fascinating piece. ~~Tink
  19. badger11

Tentsmuir (Remix)

Hi Tony, I think you are referring to the exchange in this thread: http://www.poetrymagnumopus.com/forums/topic/5140-pontneddfechan/ best Phil
  20. Tinker

Forms Unique to Poetry Styles

Whitney Frame Designed verse alternating short and long lines in couplets. three in all. A heptastich with seven syllable end. ~~Judi Van Gorder
  21. tonyv

Tentsmuir (Remix)

I presumed it was an obscure allusion. The poem is set in a very specific place, Tentsmuir, and it could be a reference locals would recognize. A while back, Phil wrote a poem that mentioned a specific rock. I can't remember what it was -- quartz, maybe? I don't know, I searched @badger11's poems and couldn't find it -- but I could not figure out what the point was of mentioning that specific type of stone. Phil replied that the stone was local to that area.
  22. A. Baez

Tentsmuir (Remix)

Awesome! Just curious, am I the only one here who doesn't understand this? spring reaches out from a mirror to retrieve and to put back the broken piece of glass.
  23. jakecaller

three recent love poems

Blessed Love Poems has published three of my love poems, “Ode for Valentine Day”, “A Million Way to Say I Love You” Here are my latest love poems plus some earlier poems that have been published, including “Chains that Bind Us” and the “Story of How We Met” were published earlier. Index I Still Want You Ode to Love on Valentine’s Day A Million Ways to Say I Love You Sam and Maria’s First Kiss Love Hexastich Love Sestet Dream Love Duet Dream Love Sonnet Love Egg Time walking towards Enlightenment in the Woods the Angel’s Wedding Autumn Dreams the Love of My Life Haunted My Dreams Love Poetry contest She was everything I could ever dream Meeting You Tricubal Love Poem Love Valentine My love came to me every morning 45 years of love when she came to life You Are the Conductor of My Life She Came to me in Dream My Love My Life I Only Live in the Light Love Valentine My love came to me every morning when she came to life Letters to my self You Are the Conductor of My Life You Are the Conductor of Life She Came to me in Dream My Love My Life the flower of love I will Love you until the end of time Love Cherita -I Married the Girl of My Dreams Morning Delight Best Love Cinquain Love at First Sight True Dreams Truth Love at First Sight Love First Love Time First Kiss Kissing Angela in the Bar Angela Cherita I will love you Angela Haiku 63 Years Young with You I am 63 years young 63 Years around the sun Another Love Cinquain Haiku Thinking of You Every Day I Wake Up Met My Fate Impossible Dreams 2 Impossible dreams Life is but a Dream Married the Girl of My Dreams Skinny Valentines Faces Shape of Sex GLOW Angela (Acrostic poem ) Angela My Soul Mate On Top of the World there is nothing more to be said A Message for You Love Endures Success Spring Doositsu Love Triclinia Angela Fills Me with Red Passion angela Thanks Haiku Where Do I and You Begin Lost and Found The Story of How We Met Chains That Bind Us A Million Ways to Say I Love You a million ways to say I love you by jake cosmos aller They say There are a million ways To say I love you In this day and age I could only find In my computer’s brain The words to say I love you In 53 languages of the 10,000 languages Spoken on this planet Someday I may be able To say the simple words I love you In all know languages This will have to suffice for a start So I will say it Loud, and clear Just so you understand: I love you (English) Mein tumse pyar karta hoon (Hindi) Tu Tane prem karoo chu (Gujarati) Ame tomake bhalo bashe (Bengali) Me tula premkarto (Marati) Hum apse mohabbat karte hain (Urdu) Mein thoda prem karanga (Punjabi) Man Dooset Daram (Persian) Ana Ahabik Yanooni (Arabic) Havala (Hebrew) Yongchon(Chinese) Aloha (Hawaian) Cinta(Indonesian) Dangshinun sarang hayo (Korean) Ajo (Japanese) Kasih (Malay) Phom tirak khun krap (Thai) Akoay Paginghe ikou (Tagalog) Toi yeu ong(Vietnamese) Renmen (Creole) Jesuis L’amour voies(French) Liefdle (Flemish) Estoy amor tu (Spanish) Yosono amore tu (Italian) Estou o amore tu (Portugese) Dashuri (Albanian) Maiteizam (Basque) OBHYAM (Bulgarian) Ljubav (Croatian) Laska (Czech) Jeger en kaerlighed du (Danish) Ikben houden van jig (Dutch) Gra (Gaelic) Ich bin lieben tu (German) Agape/eros (Greek) Ami (Esperanto) Armastama (Estonian) Rakam (Finish) Envagyok szeretet te (Hungarian) Elska (Icelandic) Ejekirin (Kurdish) Milestiba (Latvian) Meile (Lithuanian) Eu dragoste tu (Romanian) JHOBOEL Lubush (Russian) Elske (Norweigan) Easka (Slovak) JBYBAB (Serbian) Jagdan karlek du (Swedish) KOYATH (Ukraine) Benin sevi sen (Turkish) Ahava (Yiddish) Ngingu u thando ungu (Zulu) I Still Want You http://www.blessedwithlove.com/poem/i-want-you-right-now Read more: http://www.blessedwithlove.com/poem/i-want-you-right-now#ixzz6EMQoMfWI I still want you More than anything else in life I want you I want you next to me I want you every moment Of every minute Of every day I need you in my life I need your wisdom I need your kindness I need your beauty I need your special wit And I need your ability To deal with this cruel world I need you to save me From the demons That haunt my Soul For you are my soul mate The only person Whoever completed me And made life worth living ode to love on Valentine’s day http://www.blessedwithlove.com/poem/valentine-day-ode Ever since I met you, my dear My life has not been the same Before I found you I was lost, sad and lonely Going nowhere as fast as possible I was stuck Did not know what direction to pursue At the intersection, watching life go by I was lost, lonely and full of despair Then one day I saw you The girl of my dream Standing there on the side of the road I was filled with terror Could not speak What if you refused to see me What if you denied my protestations of love What if you walked away Never to be seen again I knew I had to do something I had to do it then and there And then you came up to me… Your voice The voice of an Angel Sweat, full of light Fun and entire sunshine Ever since the day I met you Whenever I feel down and depressed I look at your picture And sunshine fills my heart And I am confident, happy and ready To face all of life’s travails As long as I have your love And your support I can overcome all obstacles And face all dangers Together we can do most anything WithoutyouI will be lost In the swamp of despair So my dear Please stay with me Forever to the end of time Let us journey forward Never looking back My love, my life The sun in the sky The moon that lights my dreams at night The stars that beacon far away Thanks to the Gods above For bringing you into my life And I promise I will love you Forever and a day Just to see your face Is heaven itself Just to hear your voice Is all I ever need My love, my soul mate Hurry back to me We have so much loving to do So much living to do So much to do together Walking confidently Boldly into the future Without you All is nothing But dust With you Everything is possible My love Until I see you again A thousand kisses And a million thoughts of love That will have to suffice Until we are reunited My love, my darling, My life and dreams Hurry back to rescue me From the despair and darkness All around me Until then I salute you Oh Queen of my Heart General of Love Captain of my Soul http://www.blessedwithlove.com/poem/valentine-day-ode
  24. tonyv

Tentsmuir (Remix)

I love your reply -- thank you. Respect, Tony
  25. Tinker

Storyteller

Storyteller Time has flown since humuhumunukunukuapuaha’a * swam from my fingertips as I danced the tales I was taught. These same hands built a business, showed horses how to trust and the babe in my arms how to love. Now spotted with age, my fingers float across a keyboard placing phrases on a page to tell my stories. ~Judi Van Gorder * Hawaii’s state fish shown through the hands of the hula dancer by extending the left hand, palm down and placing the right hand on top with thumbs protruding on each side. The hands then undulate while the thumbs rotate. “when the humuhumunukunukuapua’a come swimming by” ♬
  26. A. Baez

Tentsmuir (Remix)

Tony, sorry I missed your reply before. I was mainly airing my opinions about the importance, or lack thereof, of getting the last line's meter "right" in the spirit of philosophical debate, not practical application. I think all of your versions of the line work quite well; applying Judi's metric, which is also fundamentally mine, "the music is there." As I said before, my observation about the relative bumpiness of certain other lines wasn't meant to suggest that they are flawed or that they be rewritten. Rather, I meant to put in a different, arguably broader context your concerns about the last line. In addressing these philosophical questions, we have expressed somewhat different leanings, yours more technical and mine more intuitive. I believe there's validity in both. If I were to rewrite anything, it would be the phrase starting "spring reaches," mainly because, though the imagery is captivating, I don't understand what it means (as I had mentioned earlier). Then, along the way, I would try to regularize the meter a bit, if only as a matter of personal taste. However, I consider such matters to be strictly the purview of the author, who seems contented with the current version.
  27. badger11

Visitations

Marc Chagall conjures a circus - breathe in that hectic glee, he says. So I - stippled in absinthe ways, a whiff of exotic places - breathe. Where is the lion tamer? I ask. Henri Rousseau tempts a tigress, not shy or sly, her devouring grin about to pounce on prey beyond the frame. Startled, a voyeur sweats in tropical heat. I kneel to flee. Henri Matisse paints a smiling cat, a harbour where whispers anchor restless boats. There's a bowl of fruit basking in citrus light. The green hour of la fée verte I bottle up. And find you lounging on the divan, sleepy head on a yellow pillow, your limbs as white as Franz Marc's cat. Am I hearing that wormwood purr? I offer you a jigsaw piece.
  28. dr_con

Friends in Manhattan

Ty Tony! Had an invitation I had forgotten about to write a 'small world' story for a collection - I loved the idea but have had too many of these encounters to count and when I remembered, I wrote this - Not sure if they'll use it but there it is;-) Will become increasingly flaky over the next few months (Or maybe more organized) Moving on to a boat near St. John USVI for 3 months- wee haw! 😉 J
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.