Poetry Magnum Opus

Sentences that make no sense!

rumisong

there is an exercise that I like to do- sometimes I come to it once a day, and sometimes once a week- but I would love to do it more often...

it is not really a poetry exercise, but it definitely uses the poetry muscles- and so, Im hoping to get the regular posters here in on it with me...

ok, the exercise is simply this:

write a sentence that purposely makes no sense!

doesn't have to have anything fancy- there are no rules- long or short- make up words! or dont, use only words that we know, it doesnt matter (I LOVE to make up words in this exercise!)

use verbs or not- nouns or not- do as you like, just make it not make sense icon_smile.gif

I just did one:

setting up the scam stove, I realized that the volume dial had wrenched its colors off of the bloom- thereby flanking the impending bell, and setting the whole engine into fits of spurious contention. This coming after words and bleepings heard in the surrounding shops had already set sail!

for me, this is a real "get those juices flowing" sort of exercise, that is so easy to do, because of the absolute carelessness and non-judgmental easiness that I can bring to it... just flow flow flow - and actually TRY to have it not make sense... some sense will accidentally slip in there- but who cares? the next line will destroy that with no effort...

will you all give it a go with me?

heres the first one I did, about three months ago, and with two words in it that I dont think are words! and Ive been hooked since...

I told the last time in the air for pagan rituals to comthunder hay has to fling skreigh at the sweetheart

and some others:    this was what they were sounding like on Dec 23rd...

affix the wave to the crux of the matrix, and suffer along the eastern beings from the western bearings- this after all, is the way for the sloven and prudish to break their frozen pall, and cling to board and seraphin- never having to forfeit ownership of their sand nor hay, lambaste climbings have better looms to fleece.
--------------------
elvish wordlings have slipped from crested eventualities, only to find the places where blackened dashes and powdered commas were dangled by the participants in front of cheesed doodlers, having lost their mean spirited frosting- now finely sprinkled with dissented bow and oily hove

and some of them have come to sound like poetry, or something else entirely... Ill post them elsewhere...

PLAYGROUND stuff!

play play play.... lets play!

Aleksandra

Rumisong you made me smile here icon_smile.gif.

Nice try and clever game.

I think that for me is hard to do this. Not because all what I say makes a good sense in English, but simply because I think that everything have has some sense. Even the most senseless writings / words / expressions...

Why is that? Maybe because always I look for some sense, and maybe there isn't really a sense, but my mind look for a sense in the same, and is making the sense. icon_smile.gif.

Interesting exercise, but do you have some special point for this? icon_smile.gif or it is only an exercise?

I will try maybe, but really I think is so hard to make sentences what doesn't make any sense. Maybe our mind is used always to look a sense when we write something... But I would be looking forward here, and watch how is going in this " no sense topic " icon_biggrin.png

Interesting and creative icon_smile.gif

Thank you

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

aww... do give it a try! please?!

even just add in some Macedonian words with English words... and you can maybe make up a Macedonian word that you thing sounds like it might be an English word... that would be so fun to see! and mix them up together into something - its like baking a dessert, without a recipe- just go to the 'fridge, and pick out some stuff, and throw it in a bowl (or not) and mix it up (or not) and bake it a 350 degreesF (or at 275?) for 40 minutes (or 20 minutes?) and just lets all taste what comes out!

yeah!

you ask if there is purpose other than exercise - and, no, I dont think so... but it does help me to break out of a 'slump'... in fact it helps me to put down the mouse (stop clicking on links) and take up the keyboard, and actually write something (ANYTHING)- and that seems like a good thing in itself!!!

give it a try- you will teach us some non-sense! and that is a GREAT thing to learn from each other... icon_biggrin.png

Okay, here's my first one:

The bricks in my head grew mold till my teeth fell out. icon_biggrin.png

I have to read and think about this some more, and, even for exercises I need time. But, Rumisong, you are right -- one must write. Nothing happens unless one acts, and this is making me act; it's making me want to write. Thank you for this. I will definitely come back to this topic and your other fascinating afs array topic in prose.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

YAY Tony!

I LOVE it! thanks...

see... this stuff inspires me... I mean, I can read it in a book or at wikipedia or in a blog somewhere- some random makes-no-sense webpage... but when its here, amongst friends, and its something we're doing together, and I 'know' something about the people who Im doing it with- THAT is utterly inspiring to me... thanks Tony-

more more!

Pop! like a candy cannon!icon_biggrin.png

My friend wrote a computer program that does this, and he showed me something the computer "created." It was actually pretty good, but making the stuff myself is more fun than just reading what the computer "wrote."

I have to be careful ... I could start spending all day ... or days ... here on just this topic! icon_surprised.gif

Tony icon_biggrin.png

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

I have to be careful ... I could start spending all day ... or days ... here on just this topic!

GOOD! I say, carnival plots cannot be staid in many other valances than can be bribed here in these coffined taverns!

dont you think?

Growers in the far reachings of librarian dreams have yet to see the determinations in which these clawfoot certainties can bring down a drooping swallow.

Aleksandra

The wax of the universe, eats the crazy cows, and then goes to the road to serve a lunch where the mothers giggle when the husband wears a short skirt and acts like a waitress. After that the soup was baked in the mud, and the rocks were set by the wasted food in the toilet, and then realized how blue is the mountain under the spoon. And he start to cry and cry... ah how funny crying beast.

icon_silent.pngicon_rolleyes.gif

History of Macedonia

tonyv wrote
:
I was a neon snowplow. Then the diesel turned to corn.
icon_razz.gif

... or maybe it should be, "... the diesel ate the corn"?

Hmmmm ..

The wax of the universe, eats the crazy cows, and then goes to the road to serve a lunch where the mothers giggle when the husband wears a short skirt and acts like a waitress. After that the soup was baked in the mud, and the rocks were set by the wasted food in the toilet, and then realized how blue is the mountain under the spoon. And he start to cry and cry... ah how funny crying beast.

icon_silent.pngicon_rolleyes.gif

Alek! Alek! Alek! Alek! More, more, more, more!

If I chant it, more will come ...

Thanks for jumping in. I love this!

I have to be careful ... I could start spending all day ... or days ... here on just this topic!

GOOD! I say, carnival plots cannot be staid in many other valances than can be bribed here in these coffined taverns!

dont you think?

But is the carnival a tavern, or is it a thunderburger???

YAY ALEKSANDRA!!!

icon_cheers.pnglol.gificon_bounce.gificon_cheers.pngicon_bounce.giflol.gificon_cheers.png

AWESOME!!!

see- tell me this isnt FUN!

IM having fun

*thinks to self, "these are my poet-friends, how dould they NOT like this?! icon_wink.gif*

Aleksandra

rumisong wrote:

YAY ALEKSANDRA!!!

icon_cheers.pnglol.gificon_bounce.gificon_cheers.pngicon_bounce.giflol.gificon_cheers.png

AWESOME!!!

see- tell me this isnt FUN!

icon_rolleyes.gif

rumisong wrote:

IM having fun

*thinks to self, "these are my poet-friends, how dould they NOT like this?!
icon_wink.gif

I am glad that you have fun rumisong icon_smile.gif. Yea we the poets are amazing creatures icon_smile.gif

History of Macedonia

“This doesn’t make no mud clear.” “Sorry for making your head a bowl of congee. Follow my nonsense, you’ll get the sense.” The cow says to the cowboy. Suddenly the weaving girl drops from the sky.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

the barn meowed to the doorbell seven times,

the dog talked to me about philosophy.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Larsen M. Callirhoe

aleks yours was hilarious. made me chuckle and laugh.

vic

Larsen M. Callirhoe

thanks for joining in Lake and Vic!

heres mine for today:

Screens in tents at fairly reduced prices have parachuted over the stage, where everyone was placated by dark wonder and lost shipping lanes- the cost is sheep, and when we get home, the recipe will be in the woodshop- meanwhile, these separations have long since strung themselves to their mastheads- we publish this now, or find the few and the many in peril for their sobriety...

goldenlangur

We could be well on the way to Bushism icon_wink.gif in this wonderful collection of nonsense sentences.

Here's mine:

With a grumble here and a grumble there, the duck snorts:

It's not exactly water off my back!

as he climbs the steep ridge to the mountain abode of his mother-in-law. She awaits him with open wings and a pot of ara. But ere fore he can take a long saturating sip, she yells:

You haven't paid for your libation!

He fluffs around his recently-preened-but-now- doused-feathers for his Mastercard but can't find it. So he flicks out his LG Blackberry:

I'll call the headquarters, he dances.

But the snow we've just had comes not in flurries, but as metre deep sheets and down goes the duck, down go the cables and his Blackberry pinging and blinking.

So if you in the wider world get an unrecognized call, it could our friend the duck. Do ignore him and this.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleksandra

Ah people, you are all nice icon_smile.gif.

Here is one, British joke icon_biggrin.png -

" Two sneakers were walking, especially the left one. "

icon_biggrin.png

Vic glad that you laughed. icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur
Ah people, you are all nice icon_smile.gif.

Here is one, British joke icon_biggrin.png -

" Two sneakers were walking, especially the left one. "

icon_biggrin.png

Vic glad that you laughed. icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

That is a great one, Aleksandra icon_smile.gif Wonder if it was Michael Foot's? icon_wink.gif

Certainly having fun rumisong icon_smile.gif

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

the ceiling was talking to me and the sky starting walking.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

I told my 7 year old niece that once a day I made it a point to write a sentence that makes no sense... she knows about you all, so to speak- (that is, online friends of her uncle's, who "talk" to him but dont see him nor have met him etc)... she said to me, "can I watch you do it later when you go upstairs on the computer?"... "you want to help me write my sentence that makes no sense?", I confirmed. She nodded... I said "well get me a pen and paper- we dont have to do it on the computer to make it up - we can write it now and I can put it on the computer later" ... she returned right away with a pen and paper- then her mom called on the phone, and so our exercise was delayed for ten minutes or so... but as soon as she was off the phone, she did not forget- "are you going to write the sentence now?".... "yes..." and off we went to where we left the paper and pen.

so, with the help and encouragement of my beautiful niece, HERE is todays sentence that makes no sense:

• Smile with peppercorn butter, and assure that crinkles can keep their face. When the hands have smothered, then we can be sure that the crackers have doubled.

bolded words are the direct influence or suggestion of my little helper...

we read it again together...

"that sentence makes no sense" she said...

mission accomplished! icon_biggrin.png

have they shown us any clout

that whithered too in frameworks doubt

and in these walls are hidden still

the box of secrets ancients will

how can we take a serious look

unless the purveyor of this book

does deign to send our mothers home

and give us daily our senseless poem

goldenlangur

Enjoyed this collaboration with your budding poet-niece: icon_smile.gif

rumisong wrote:

• Smile
    with peppercorn butter, and assure that crinkles can keep their
    face
    . When the hands have smothered, then we can be sure that the
    crackers
    have doubled.

bolded words are the direct influence or suggestion of my little helper...

we read it again together...

"that sentence makes no sense" she said...

mission accomplished!
icon_biggrin.png

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Good rhymes here in this nonsense verse

The last pair:

home and poem

is I suppose depends on how it is spoken?

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Larsen M. Callirhoe

i went to the store to buy frazzlefrak and frizzlefook to eat!

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Good rhymes here in this nonsense verse

The last pair:

home and poem

is I suppose depends on how it is spoken?

goldenlangur

yes- I must say, they do rhyme the way I speak the words... it would feel awkward for me to say Poh'-em... is that how you mean?

goldenlangur

Hello again,

rumisong wrote:

yes- I must say, they do rhyme the way I speak the words... it would feel awkward for me to say Poh'-em... is that how you mean?

Yes, you're right - we would say it as 'poh'em' here. But English is not our first language.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

goldenlangur wrote:

But English is not our first language.

and given the story of English, you allow me to wonder, is it anyones?

Larsen M. Callirhoe

the tree walk to the store and bought leaves to eat. the dinosaurs had small bodies so they could fly and their favorite meat was human beings even though they all were vegeterians.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

icon_exclaim.gificon_biggrin.pngicon_exclaim.gificon_biggrin.pngicon_exclaim.gif

I LOVE getting to see how the poetry (and so too, the poet) gets to sneak out of our "making no sense"....

thats such poetry!

integral sequences of positive calculations are not to be confused with the inward structures of outward contentments... one will always conflame, the other will never be blamed- which one is this and which one is that is something only mother can frame...

Larsen M. Callirhoe

the time was 29 hundred hours and the waves crashed on the sun and the moon pissed rootbeer into a lake were shit flies and rocks grow.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Larsen M. Callirhoe

my nutsack is a nut case but i have many nuts i love to pick on in the nut house where every one is nuts and plays with their nuts especially ones with titanium shells.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Tiny holes have appeared in the waiting, where all sundry coincidences will become only more of the trunks that need watering... water them with color, and watch the sun give away its glory - freely, the holes will drink everything you can give it... shapes and shiftings will never appease the endless drinking from branched creatures, and their hoarding counter-revolutionary diggers and scratchers and chomping bits of bookleaves sent down into rabid jowls - these seething seeminglies who connoiter with lurid detail over what creationary disdain will blend with what destructionary good intended humus- feed me my daily dirt, and leave me to the sky flights and diaries landing now in remitted wonder- payment received for serving aboard this ship of fool-full pygmies...

Slide onto the corrugated weavings left behind for use as our desirements- let them fall into fingers weary of gelatinous substance, waiting for the communication that arrives in plaster boxes- crack open a hole, and peer out into those snow-white shudderings the sun will not bathe- lest the color drain from the corsets clinched around this inhumanity- crosses on the wall and windows cracked for breaths of cold light- rough sparks give away their timbre, leaving behind nothing the quaking grass could use...

Larsen M. Callirhoe

substance abuse is good for substances that don't abuse drugs but do abuse nothing but substances of metal modalities.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Aleksandra

I love your swimming into the sand with holding a fog in your hands, and drinking a words with a head of the dog.

History of Macedonia

riddler's job to crush me down, even my silent moon singing like lout. whatever rocket fuel, whenever clouds cry, still feel byte of mosquitoes eating me round. Never be alive or ever be dead, no corpse will dance in burning hell.

does it working?

Larsen M. Callirhoe

im always sober when i drink to get drunk. like a pacofier i eat my dripples of rock granite on poop poo....yummy!

Larsen M. Callirhoe

a large hole seems to have been cut into the bottom of the word box- leaking out any good thoughts, letting metaphors get away with havoc, coherency is akin to vagrancy, and the priests have allowed the grave sites to go fallow- how is any work going to get done with law and order running aground in the harbor- lights afar set to blink whenever eyes avert- steady as she goes, put asunder from the kelp beds and todays catch- this is keeping the yard cats from dreaming of anything else- careless barley fields crushed under the paternal gloss of the farthest bank- set sail for a new cage to fit ourselves into- the limbs are not worthy to hold up the swing and those cautious matings only provide the deaf with more celebration for which they havent need- killed by a cupboard falling on their heads, they clearly didnt hear the tea whistle in time...

when it falls to the craving what situation should yellow,

then vet their prospectus and claim sloven fellow

bringing fortunate weavings to marketed windows,

let no one cry grunge nor follow these sink-flows

we all basket our crops to proxy for hasten,

down we have drunk having nothing to face then

free barks and kilos have proven their worthy,

sail naught for the night in crafts we insured thee

these endings were paid in drippings of glory,

that finialed touch of thine own blackend story

the deeper we fish

the creeper we find