Poetry Magnum Opus

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. tonyv

Summer Lightning

Well, it's not really about the bartender, it's more talking to the bartender.
  3. Tinker

Summer Lightning

This is too good to be just about a bartender. Well I guess Li Po would agree with you, writing about a pot of wine can endure forever. ~~Judi
  4. tonyv

Summer Lightning

She does wear a corset ...
  5. Tinker

Summer Lightning

Come on! No way bartender. You are kidding right? cloud to ground / world turned / she can have the cruise ships / tourist trap / its day again / I'm keeping Asia.... This has to be a storm poem. ~~Tink
  6. tonyv

Summer Lightning

Thank you, Judi. 😊 Emma is just a bartender. I hadn't even considered a hurricane or storm Emma -- how cool! 😀I love how each reader brings something of his own to a poem. With appreciation, Tony
  7. Tinker

Summer Lightning

Wow Tony~ This is a different course for you and I really love it. It gets better and better with each read. One of the best storm poems I think I've ever read. I haven't heard of an Emma, am I missing something? Erin is the E name for 2019. And right now it is Imelda that is making the news. But still I believe I'm reading this right, Emma is a storm. Love "She can keep the cruises. Tourist traps!" double entendre. So smart and very cool. ~~Judi
  8. Tinker

Poets Never Die

Thanks Tony, Li Po or Li Bai isn't the only Chinese or otherwise poet who liked his wine but he wrote many poems about the pleasures of drinking wine and was known to show up drunk at court where he was summoned to compose a poem at his Lord's pleasure. Historians really aren't sure how he died but the legend prevails and I think it quite a poetic statement of his life and his writing. I'm a fan. I have the Anchor Book of Chinese Poetry which I love. For one thing the poems are all pretty short so they hold my attention. But they are also very earthy and real. And I do get that association thing. I just love the sound of the name, Yangtze. ~~Tink Drinking Alone A pot of wine in the flower garden, but no friends drink with me. so I raise my cup to the bright moon and to my shadow, which makes us three, but the moon won't drink and my shadow just creeps about my heels. Yet in your company, moon and shadow, I have a wild time til spring dies out. I sing and the moon shudders. My shadow staggers when I dance. We have our fun while I can stand then drift apart when I fall asleep. Let's share this empty journey often, and meet again in the milky river of stars. ~~Li Po translated by Tony Barnstone and Chou Ping
  9. tonyv

Summer Lightning

Emma, another round of cloud to ground the world has turned. I'm moonshine, and she's wine. She can keep the cruises. Tourist traps! When she's not my mimosa every morning we don't even make it through a night. It's day, again, at last. I'm keeping Asia.
  10. tonyv

Poets Never Die

I love how this anti-Narcissus "wrote wonder, drunk or sober"! Also, the mention of the Yangtze River strikes a personal note; Yangtze China was the name of a restaurant we frequented back in the late '70's and early '80s while I growing up. I know it's unrelated, but you know how you just like certain people, places, music, poems, etc. because of the complex associations that you might make? The nostalgic element just made it real for me. I enjoyed this. Tony
  11. tonyv

Art Lover

Well, I did see the first version of this, and there have been some minor changes which yielded major improvements in L8 & L9. Having spent some time in the Boston area, I had heard the expression "Lace Curtain Irish" used, and being unfamiliar with it at the time, was prompted to look it up. I think I detect a juxtapositioning of that image in S1 and the "cubist slant" represented by the blinds in S2. It's not an all-out shift but a subtle signifier that the speaker has moved on to his own domesticity, his own environs. I agree with Judi that this an "easy" read, and I attribute that to the well crafted composition. I do wonder who the bride may be. Tony
  12. Tinker

Poets Never Die

Poets Never Die Ancient Chinese poet, Tang Dynasty genius. Li Po loved his wine, wrote wonder, drunk or sober. Legend says he drowned in Yangtze River, drunkenly he attempted to embrace moon's reflection. ~~ Judi Van Gorder Verse Form: Three-Five-Seven
  13. Tinker

Art Lover

Hi Badge, For some reason this just feels easy. Easy as in comfortable, a sort of reflection on an accepted life. A life that has known love and loss and sees the beauty of it all. I really like it. ~~Tink
  14. Last week
  15. tonyv

tonyv

Unbelieveable set tonight this chick broadcasts right from her living room. Not sure that it's always this good but tonight, right now Fri 19:32 my time (Sat 00:32 UK time) so chill: Lost in House 

16. badger11

Art Lover

Growing up with Nan I spent my idle times spying through lace curtains. Vagueness became a friend. My Impressionist bride. Older now, inherited the flat, and there are blinds giving a peek on outside. A sort of Cubist slant. Art moves on, and so do brides.
  17. Tinker

Wonder

Wonder A cricket serenade accompanies this evening's stillness. Remnants of summer wane releasing cool fingers of air to skim my limbs and ease the heat of the day while I stare in wonder at the brilliant constellations mapping the black sky. Below the big dipper a string of blinking red and blue lights inches across my view. I wonder who is on board, where are they going and whether they wonder who might be down here watching? ~~Judi Van Gorder
  18. Taking Care of Business Procrastination weighs against my work yet plays the game to seem employed. I tame the urge to flee the frame and try to remember the why I need to quantify. Beware the tempting fun trap, dare take charge, avoid the snare, begin with one small part, grin in expectation, pin my goal, ready, set, rock and roll. ~~Judi Van Gorder
  19. Earlier
  20. dcmarti1

The Smallest House in Georgetown

I loved my 450 sq ft condo in Dupont, but that tiny townhouse amongst the larger ones was fascinating to me. I dreamed of owning it one day, even though I never got the chance to go inside. There was a European apothecary-like pharmacy just before it (walking from Dupont to Georgetown, across the P Street Bridge which spanned Rock Creek). Thank you for reading.
  21. tonyv

the cosmic rose of light

My two favorite, perfectly placed expressions: night meets/day and invited/eyes pierce through. Also loved life on a small/planet. Tony
  22. tonyv

The Smallest House in Georgetown

Hi Marti, Together with your notes, this poem took me back to the Cold War, perhaps even a little beyond the tail end of it when I looked up and read about the two real-life spies. That's how I read it: made up characters inspired by real life. I wasn't even aware that spies still exist; that's how far removed the subject is from everyday life. This was a pleasurable, lyrical read. Love the title, too. Tony
  23. Tinker

Warning

Hi Badge, I write about my mornings in the garden often but the morning of this particular event came on the heels of reading a prompt to write a poem using onomatopoeia. I have no idea what the machine was that I heard but it I heard it and it gave me the perfect sound and subject to work with. The words started forming in my head before I came inside to write them down. I think most of my poems build on what I've written before. Seeing and hearing similar or same images in different moods, shades, seasons, objectives or level of enlightenment is what I write. I'm pretty much a "you get what I see or hear or feel" kind of writer. I don't have the mystery or metaphoric insight and talent that you and others have. ~~Tink
  24. badger11

Warning

Have you posted a similar circumstance/poem to this one previously Tink? It felt familiar, but then this could be because I relate to outside/inside worlds. Either way I enjoyed the poem. In particular how the intrusive and relaxing qualities of sound create worlds. all the best Phil
  25. badger11

Califragile

Cheers Tony.
  26. Tinker

Haiku Fridays

#39 Friday fahrenheit in ninetys without relief fan full blast ~~jvg
  27. Tinker

Haiku Journal / Share Your Haiku Here

#37 binging British show subtitles on TV screen language barrier ~~jvg I loved the show but would have been lost without the subtitles.
  28. Tinker

Mgur

The Light is Still On Prisms of color glow outward, transcend beyond my body. A blazon of my being, each beam a portion of me, my truth, my joy, my passion. ~~Judi Van Gorder
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.