Poetry Base

Gymart

Poet's Collective

Poet's Garret

Norton Anthology of Poetry

Poety Kaleidoscope

Instant Poetry Forms for Kids

World of Poets

Wikipedia I do use this site but, as a side note, I have had occasion to go to Wikipedia and find the definition of a couple of poetic terms or genres is a copy & paste from something I wrote here in the reference section. In some cases there is a tiny link at the bottom of the page that leads the reader back to this site but it doesn't state who wrote it. (Which was me.) That makes me a little nervous about how the information on Wikipedia is gathered because I did not contribute any of my articles to Wikipedia. I have also found word for word descriptions of poetic genres or terms that have been copied from the New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics without naming the source at all. (No I don't have a photogenic memory but when researching a poetic term on line I usually have the NPEoPP open to that term and probably some other book or two...while searching. I try to find at least 3 sources to help me confirm and develop what I write here.

Bibliography

An Introduction to Welsh Poetry, Gwyn Williams 1952 Philadelphia Dufour Editions (in depth study of Welsh "meter" by one who can translate the original poems into English for better understanding)

Anchor Book of Chinese Poetry, by Tony Barnstone and Chou Pin, 2005, Anchor Books.(love this book with a rich understanding of Chinese form but especially for the beautiful poetry it contains)

Ballades and Rondeaus, by Gleeson White, 1888, New York, D Appleton and Co.

Book of Forms by Lewis Turco 2000, University Press of New England ISBN: I-58465-041-9(a popular book of forms used widely by internet poets)

Complete Rhyming Dictionary, by Clement Wood, 1991 Doubleday (good descriptions of the most popular verse forms are found in the introduction of this Dictionary)

Early Celtic Versecraft, origin development diffusion, by James Travis, 1973 Cornell University Press

A Grammar of the Irish Language, by John ODonovan 1845, Dublin:Hodges and Smith, Grafton Street.

Haiku Handbook, William Higginson, 1985 First Kodansha International Publishing ISBN: 4-7700-1430-9

How to Haiku, Bruce Ross 2002, Tuttle Publishing ISBN:0-8048-3232-3 (clarity and efficiency contained herein)

Lyric Forms From France: Their History and Their Use, by Helen Louise Cohen, 1923, Harcourt Brace and Co, New York

Making of a Poem, A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms, edited by Mark Strand and Eavan Boland; 2000, WW Norton (good introduction of the dominant verse forms in English with lots of example poems)

New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics edited by Preminger and Brogan 1993 Princeton University Press. ISBN: 0-691-02123-6 (historical evolution detailed)

Pathways For the Poet by Viola Jacobson Berg, 1977 Mott Media ISBN 0-915134-18-7(includes many little known invented forms which appear to be used by teachers to help teach various poetic terms in action)

Patterns of Poetry by Miller Williams, 1986, Louisiana State University Press

Poetic Form, An Introduction, by David Caplan, 2007, Pearson Education Inc

Poetry Dictionary, 2nd Edition, by John Drury, 2006, Writer' Digest Books ISBN:I -58297-329-6

Poet's Guide to Poetry, Mary Kinzie, 1999 University of Chicago Press

Prosody Handbook, A Guide to Poetic Form, by Robert Beum and Karl Shapiro, 2006 Dover Edition, Library of Congress

Prosody in England and Elsewhere, by Leonardo Malcovati, 2005 Gival Press Arlington VA.

Rhyme's Reason, John Hollander, 2001 Library of Congress (fun to read, form described in verse, good for example but not necessarily for clarity of structure.)

Shapes of our Singing by Robin Skelton, 2002 Library of Congress ISBN:0-910055-76-9(excellent descriptions of structure and a wide variety of verse forms of the world.)

Singing in Chains by Mererid Hopwood, 2004 Gomer Press, Wales (more detail on ancient Welsh Poetry)

The Ode Less Travelled, Unlocking the Poet Within, by Stephen Fry, 2005, Gotham Books (An entertaining as well as informative book on the intricacies of writing all types of poetry.)

The Teachers and Writers Handbook of Poetic Terms, Edited by Ron Padgett, 2000, T&W Books, NY ISBN: 0-915924-60-9(Although not all verse forms are included, this provides a comprehensive description with examples of many common forms as well as some not so common.)

Since an understanding of all components of poetics is essential in the study of form, the following books have been very helpful even though their primary focus is not verse forms:

A Poetry Handbook, by Mary Oliver, 1994, A Harvest Original, Harcourt Inc (a must have)

An Introduction to Poetry by X J kennedy and Dana Gioia, 2002. Longman ISBN: 0-321-08764-x(a rich, current exploration of poetry and its components)

Art and Craft of Poetry, by Michael Bugeja, 2001, Writer's Digest Books ISBN:1-58297-101-3

Creating Poetry, by John Drury, 1991, Writer's Digest Books

Dawn to the West, by Donald Keene, 1999 Volume 4, Cambridge University Press (In depth history of Japanese literature)

Discovery of Poetry by Frances Mayes, 2001, A Harvest Original

Harper Colllins Study Bible, edited by Wayne A. Meeks, 1993 HarperCollins Publishers (includes footnotes on the styles and beliefs connected to Hebrew writing)

In the Palm of Your Hand by Steve Kowit, 1995, Tilbury House Publishers (challenging excersises included)

Modern Chinese Poetry, Theory and Practice since 1917, by Michelle Ye, 1991,Yale University Press

Norton Anthology of World Literature Volumes A – F, editor Peter J. Simon, 2002, WW Norton and Co Inc. (evolution of verse from the very beginning through the 20th century)

Poet's Companion by Kim Addonizio & Dorianne Laux Norton, W. W. & Company, Inc. 1988.•ISBN-13: 9780393316544

Riverside Shakespeare, Edited by Dean Johnson et al, 1997, Houghton Mifflin Company (everything you didn't know about Shakespeare, with a complete collection of his plays and poetry.)

Rules for the Dance, by Mary Oliver 1998, A Mariner Original (excellent book on meter)

Seeds in the Heart, A History of Japanese Literature Volume I, by Donald Keene, 1999, Cambridge University Press (detailed study of the evolution of Japanese literature)

The Poet's Handbook by Judson Jerome 1980, Writer's Digest Books (understanding meter and more)

To Read a Poem by Donald Hall, 1992, Heinle and Heinle ISBN: 0-03-055539 (great introduction to the enjoyment and the understanding of poetry. I lent this book to a friend years ago and never got it back. I recently went on line thinking I would like to get another copy for reference, it now sells for $127.00)

Unbroken Line by Miriam Sagan, 1999, Sherman Asher Publishing

Western Wind by John Frederick Nims, David Mason , 2000 Mc Graw-Hill

Some of these books are out of print, some are textbooks, many were purchased used but in excellent condition, all were found available for purchase on-line within the last 6 years. Feb - 2008

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.