Poetry Magnum Opus

David Kelley lost his job

dr_con

"David Kelley lost his job in September 2008.

As values plummeted on his Clairemont, California, home

as well as the rental properties he owned,

he reportedly became "overwhelmed by debt and depression."

On January 5th, he shot himself.

"He saw his good life and successful career slipping away,"

said his stepmother. "He couldn't see beyond the struggles he was having."-

Tomgram: Nick Turse, A Silent (and Violent) Epidemic

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175079/nic...iolent_epidemic

I did not know David

but understand his pain

the subtle illusion of truth

woven into the fabric of every-

thing. And one day the sudden

and perceptible cruelty of economics

An Ifa priest learns all their names

the colors, days, and stories. He calls

them all, and sits and watches, all day

all night, all now, and sees firmament

and action and all the knots tied

by earthbound spirits, deities

with clay feet. Between

Heaven and Here

his soul a consumer commodity

Hard to blame his parents, friends

or priests, they sold him an "American Identity"

A rough and ready God

with infinite power and technology

ready to rule the world at a moments notice

share-holder privilege on matters of personal

liberty. Infinite growth and Infinite Jest

gas for a nickle

and no-new-taxes as long

as you do your best

but parts wear out

and need replacing

a nut is a nut

a bolt, a bolt

if the part

stops working

what do we expect?

"David Kelley lost his job..."

Hey all, sorry about multi-poems ;-) But well under the 3 per week, and I still show up as primary critic on many poems below;-) If anyone is annoyed, let me know and I'll remove!

Many Thanks!

DC

Larsen M. Callirhoe

loved the poem.

it was very detailed, articulate in DC style, and refreshing to read.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Frank E Gibbard

Quite an indictment of the harsh commercial world that causes those tragic cases of those who cannot cope with living under financial pressure and crack. Where Mammon rules. Sad but knowing insights in your telling DC

More David Kelley's to come, I'm afraid. This is a tough and unblinking poem. For a lot of guys when you lose your job, your earning power, you lose your identity. It doesn't matter so much when you're young and single because you shrug your shoulders and move on. Something will turn up, something will always turn up. When you have a wife and kids and a house, though, the shrugs don't come so easily. The idea of being at the mercy of market forces doesn't really sink in. There's this belief it's your own personal failing. Robbed of an income at the age of 45-50 what are you going to do? Work at McDonald's? You put your finger, DC, on a tender point: it's a good write, for sure, but not easy reading.

dedalus

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Frank, Bren,

Many, many thanks! Ded, you do fine criticism when the mood strikes;-) A poem motivated by thoughts on identity, and the increasingly obvious sickness in the Global North that $$ = Self. Appreciate the feedback and drop in.

Much Grace,

DC

No, it was a good poem, Doc. Emotion restrained or controlled is always better than OTT. The resulting poem retains specific gravity. Nicely accomplished.

Bren

Hi DC, You set the poem up perfectly and then laid out the truth for all to see and understand... This is really well written and exposes I think a very male point of view...

I watched my husband go through something similar many many years ago, fortunately for my family I was able to step up take on the role of provider and have done so for decades... There was a time I worried that he might take his life. Loss of identity compounded by loss of self esteem, and bruised ego took its toll. We went through a rough patch that lasted for many years, drug abuse and more. He had to find his own identity all over again.

The way I see it everyone needs a purpose, a job to do, so what if it is working at Mac Donalds or greeting at Walmart or taking money at a bridge toll booth... It is a place to go, something to do and honest money earned. I really don't think I would have a problem with that. I really think it is a male thing.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Personally I'm not one for finding meaning through work: it's there for food on the table, roof over the head, etc.

Hard to blame his parents, friends

or priests, they sold him an "American Identity"

A seller of 'illusions' needs a buyer.

"He saw his good life and successful career slipping away,"

said his stepmother. "He couldn't see beyond the struggles he was having."-

Sad

badge

Come off it, Tink. Do you really think guys are hard-wired to act stupid? Getting upset and (occasionally) overwhelmed is not a male thing, it's a human thing. Admittedly, guys do it better ....

Ded

Thanks Tinker, Badge!

Badge, that's why I wrote the poem- too many, in my opinion, have bought into the job equals self paradigm, I too found this sad;-)

Tinker thanks for the honest appraisal- The games men and women play, are never easy- I didn't think of this as a masculine view, but you are on to something- My ex wife would freak out over my career choices, or lack thereof furthering any identity crises I had- creating a feedback loop- As the cage of the american economy gets further rattled I expect to see a great deal more of this madness...

DC

Brendan, I wasn't saying men were stupid, but I think their perception of identity is more closely connected to their career than women. Women certainly become overwhelmed and depressed but the trigger is less likely to be losing a job.

~~Tink

Fair enough, Tink! I've just "lost" my job -- stepped away from it after 25 years -- and feel no pangs whatsoever. My wife seems to be having the crisis for me!

Brendan

Ah Brendan, Letting go is much different than being let go. When it is on your terms it is a new exciting adventure when not on your terms it can be like being lost in a wasteland. Good luck on your new adventure. ~~Tink