Poetry Magnum Opus
tonyv

Seamus Heaney's "Clearances #5" discussed (link)

tonyv

The poem and two different interpretations of it can be read at this LINK

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur
The poem and two different interpretations of it can be read at this LINK. It's interesting how, even in the case of a poem written by a popular and well-respected poet, different interpretations of the poem can be arrived at by several experienced readers.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the link to Heaney's work - he is a word wizard! I found the reading of this free form? sonnet as a love poetry very interesting! (perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick?) - I saw it more as a poem about his poor life and particularly his mother whom he writes about with a density of physical details, which also marks this particular poem.

I've just discovered Heaney and find his work inspirational.

I appreciate your posting this here.

goldenlangur

I

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleksandra

Ah Tony, thank you for this link. This poet I know in person, I met him in 2001 in Struga, at " Struga Poetry Evenings " he was winner then, and got "Golden Wreath Award ". And I felt him as so interesting person. Somehow he looks like the sound of his work.

I like his work.

Thank you dear for sharing this thread.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

tonyv

Golden, I am glad you liked this link. I don't think you have the wrong end of the stick at all. It seems the second reviewer also saw it as you do, so you are not alone.

Alek, I am very impressed that you have met this poet! I'm still looking forward to someday attending Struga with you ...

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hi again Tony,

I must confess that I was rather thrown by the second reader's discussion of the technical details of the form ( my own ignorance, no doubt, an impediment here!) to appreciate the mention of "mother" and "son " relationship further on!

Heaney's use of language is so tactile and imaginative.

Lucky Aleksandra that she met him!

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Aleksandra

goldenlangur wrote:

Lucky Aleksandra that she met him!

Ahh yea icon_cool.gifgoldenlangur I am happy because I met so many famous poets over there. I was going every year at Struga poetry Evenings, and I had that pleasure to meet poets from all over the world.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia