we light the flame of mankind’s hope

and ring the bells of every tower.

Then, facing winter’s coldest night,

we pin our hopes on ancient star

and look for God’s rekindled light.

Ikars Justin Sarma

Merry Christmas everyone.

Hi Ikars,

Yes, I read the meters and the rhymes and structurally, the two verses are almost identical - the first line starts with a present participle, the second line, an SVO sentence, starts with "we" and the third line starts with "and"...

Season's greetings to all.

Lake

Though I'm just getting to replying here now, I did read and delight in this when you posted it, Ikars. I enjoyed the near rhyme of hour/tower/star. And the iambic tetrameter is flawless, too.

I noted your omission of the article an in line five but did not find it objectionable. Rather, I found that it works quite well because you're referring to a particular star, the Star of Bethlehem. Thanks for the Christmas wishes and for the lovely reminder as to the "reason for the season."

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Waxwings, I love this poem. I think is one of your best as well. The sense, the music, the spirit of this poem gives a pleasure to me as a reader.

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi waxwings,

A great verse for mid-winter celebrations of the birth of Christ.

I too like the echoing rhyming effect of hour/tower. Your final line is wonderfully uplifting.

Christmas was working week for us here. But why not raise a few bowls of potent local brew to a festive greeting ;)

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Hi waxwings,

A great verse for mid-winter celebrations of the birth of Christ.

I too like the echoing rhyming effect of hour/tower. Your final line is wonderfully uplifting.

Christmas was working week for us here. But why not raise a few bowls of potent local brew to a festive greeting ;)

I am glad this trifle made you feel like Christmas is a truly significant happening to celebrate. I have followed your advice.

Have a happy and productive New Year.