Poetry Magnum Opus

how long have I been doing this?

rumisong

its gotten so that even a note that I write to myself is in poetry form-- hitting return when I dont need to-- not letting the sentence get too long-- enjoyment of repeated sounds-- made up words-- I think Ive been doing this for quite some time--

for instance, here is something I thought that I wanted to remember for later should I want to blog-post about it-- and only just now have I fully realized (Im sure I realized this before, but its just more striking to me today) ... (which itself, is as "poetic" if you asked me)... fully realized that I "DO" this sort of thing in "poetry"

my subconscious mind works in "poetry"?

distracted

reading these comments to youtubes and ted-talks

one realizes the level of distraction many commenters

must be engaging with-- the commentaries are answered

within the video, the problems are solved, the opinions are

naught

but the comment must be made

ipod

and so, I question again even this notion of poetry

as opposed to "poetic"

does that make sense?

never mind this last bit

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's not a bad place to be, Rumisong. I recall reading that James Wright and his contemporaries (Bly, Simmons, et al) would often talk back and forth to each other in iambic pentameter. I guess it was a direct result of using it all the time ... and a bit of fun, too.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

• 4 weeks later...
its gotten so that even a note that I write to myself is in poetry form-- hitting return when I dont need to-- not letting the sentence get too long-- enjoyment of repeated sounds-- made up words-- I think Ive been doing this for quite some time--

for instance, here is something I thought that I wanted to remember for later should I want to blog-post about it-- and only just now have I fully realized (Im sure I realized this before, but its just more striking to me today) ... (which itself, is as "poetic" if you asked me)... fully realized that I "DO" this sort of thing in "poetry"

my subconscious mind works in "poetry"?

distracted

reading these comments to youtubes and ted-talks

one realizes the level of distraction many commenters

must be engaging with-- the commentaries are answered

within the video, the problems are solved, the opinions are

naught

but the comment must be made

ipod

and so, I question again even this notion of poetry

as opposed to "poetic"

does that make sense?

never mind this last bit

Seems to me, you rumi, are displaying a thoughtful and truly poetic attitude, i.e., hitting the return key (shift+enter?) whenever you complete an elementary group of words (I tend to think these are syntagmas, fragments of speech that can be fully understood w/o any pre- or post-ambles given.

If nothing else (besides being a literary/verbal art, poetry is a language that is expected to be more succinct than any other literary genre, regardless of whether it is written in prose or verse.

That is why I get distressed and feel cheated when I read what is purported to be a poem where the separation of these perhaps so called 'syntagmas' are run into each other, i.e., lacking punctuation & paragraphing or line and stanza breaks. This is esp. true when the overall impression I get on first reading that the core idea/impulse of the poet is significant and valuable.

As for the iambic meter (no matter if di-, tri-, tetra- or etc.), all you have to do in English is start with some monosyllabic, unaccented word (of which there is a legion) and you will have it. Of course, to maintain it, you have to have some past in which you either read, listened or recited many of the more well known and loved poems, e.g., "The art of loosing ism't hard to master..." or "Do not go gentle into that...."

Here is another way to look at the included quote:

distracted

reading these comments to

youtubes and ted-talks

one realizes

the level of distraction

many commenters

must be engaging with--

the commentaries

are answered within the video,

the problems are solved,

the opinions are