over the roads and across town
to the shore. Chords of the thralls' groans
curl upward to a starry height
and harmonize with sweeter moans
of gynic pleasure and delight.
Were this another place, our fold
would prolly do alike for spite:
we'd burn the trees, welcome the cold,
leave naught unused and naught conserved.
And I would surely rise, take hold
of any pleasure undeserved,
and gorge on everything that's served.

• Like 1

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Hi Tony. I envy anyone who has had the opportunity to visit this unique place. It has a curious and colourful history: migration,spiritual beliefs, slavery, deforestation and perhaps cannibalism.“From the idyll of "sweeter moans/ of gynic pleasure and delight" to "Were this another place,"etc: comes an apt parallel for the appetites of 'progress'. Your unobtrusive use of enjambment works well and the unusual use of concise "gynic"”and "prolly" help foster a traditional feel. Enjoyed the poem. Benjamin.

Edited by Benjamin

I imagine you working your craft quietly, relentlessly, almost shaping your writing as much for your pleasure as to communicate with 'an audience'. You certainly had me searching the internet for some of your words choices. For me this was a tale of consumption and the idleness of idols.

badge

Edited by badger11

Hi Tony. I envy anyone who has had the opportunity to visit this unique place. It has a curious and colourful history: migration,spiritual beliefs, slavery, deforestation and perhaps cannibalism.“From the idyll of "sweeter moans/ of gynic pleasure and delight" to "Were this another place,"etc: comes an apt parallel for the appetites of 'progress'. Your unobtrusive use of enjambment works well and the unusual use of concise "gynic"”and "prolly" help foster a traditional feel. Enjoyed the poem. Benjamin.

I do, too, Benjamin. I've only been to places like this in my imagination. :) I'm pleased that you caught the underlying message and remarked that the enjambment and vocabulary worked well. Thank you!

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

I imagine you working your craft quietly, relentlessly, almost shaping your writing as much for your pleasure as to communicate with 'an audience'. You certainly had me searching the internet for some of your words choices. For me this was a tale of consumption and the idleness of idols.

badge

And thank you, Badge. You're right that crafting a work "for the tune" is something that gives me a lot of pleasure, but it's best when the product has something to say. From your remarks, I can see that this one does; I'm grateful for your consumption observation, for that's what this one's all about. The idleness of idols ... I like that!

Tony :D

Did a little reading on the Moai this morning, how they faced inland to their clan-lands with backs to the ocean. Prompted me for some reason to think of humans, looking perperpetually inwards and at each other, instead of contemplating the vast wonders of creation above. Just a thought. :icon_cyclops: Benjamin.

Did a little reading on the Moai this morning, how they faced inland to their clan-lands with backs to the ocean. Prompted me for some reason to think of humans, looking perperpetually inwards and at each other, instead of contemplating the vast wonders of creation above. Just a thought. :icon_cyclops: Benjamin.

A good observation. It's the same in today's "facebook" culture; each looks inwards and invites others to look at his one true love: himself.

Tony

Thank you, Juris. I'm delighted that you liked this!

Thanks for the interesting link, too. I couldn't find the exact one which had the reading, but the site itself in itself is interesting and informative. So thank you for it!

Tony