Poetry Magnum Opus

Not with tears (Prose Poem)

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Don't light the butter lamps through tears. Their flickering flames dim the portals to the bardo . Your wail ripples the endless silence of this realm and muted by death I cannot answer your call. The blare of the long horns and clang of the cymbals scurry like eddies across this timeless, direction-less plane. When the monk holds up a mirror I have no reflection, no shadow, I'm afloat beyond your world on the edge of beyond...

These prayer flags in my memory whisper their mantras to the griffon and the peaks. I have shed my senses and the dues I owed and was owed in the pyre. Formless, painless I drift towards my karmic rebirth .

With a smile offer a prayer for all sentient beings and know I'm gone...

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Substance and shadow intermingle in this meditative piece told from the perspective of one in transition between planes of existence. Your use of repetition delights:

goldenlangur wrote:

... I'm afloat beyond your world on the edge of beyond,

and the prayer flags, as heard by the narrator, deliver an unusual perspective.

A peaceful presence, like one obtained through absolution, envelops the scene and the moment, when you write,

goldenlangur wrote:

I have shed my senses and the dues I owed and was owed in the pyre,

and it's followed by an appropriate closure, a finality, in the last words -- I'm gone.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

goldenlangur

Hi Tony,

Thank you for tackling this piece laden with details of Tibetan Buddhist eschatology. In Tibetan Buddhism, death is a release from samsara, this illusionary world and depending on one's good/bad actions (karma) holds the possibility of achieving enlightenment. But for the relatives, left behind, grief fogs everything. So I imagined a plea from the dead to set his/her spirit free from the shackles of worldly relations and attachments.

I'm gratified that this aspect came through for you and that you perceive a "meditative", peaceful tenor. Thank you for this:

tonyv wrote:

... Your use of repetition delights:
goldenlangur wrote:
... I'm afloat beyond your world on the edge of beyond,

Tony

Yes, an "absolution" from all earthly burdens and responsibilities and freedom to seek the next rebirth.

I appreciate your perceptive reading very much.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Even a single enemy is too many and a thousand friends too few - Bhutanese saying.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

goldenlangur how close ive been to touching another realm. you described it very accurately from what i have perceived. much enjoyed this write. it is multi fascitetited. hope i spelt that last wod in the sentence before this one correctly.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

goldenlangur

Hi victor,

How rewarding that you touched "another realm" through the images in this piece. I do remember you writing about a near-death experience and how the world and people seemed to you suspended in that moment.

Not to worry about the spelling of a word or two - your thoughts, understanding and spirit transcend all!

Thank you very much.

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Aleksandra

Goldenlangur, you know that this style and this subject by you I like it the most icon_smile.gif. And your style it's recognizable and that is for respect.

This piece, took me again in some other dimension and that means that is really very powerful and meaningful not just this prose piece but the essence of this teaching. The wisdom, the message are always perceptible and works good on the human mind.

The six realms or the six categories of rebirths you expressed so good and on very poetical way in this expression:

the endless silence of this realm

I loved again how you used bardo I remember so good on a intermediate state or better said ( what I like to use ) - "in-between state"

I think that this expression is amazing:

When the monk holds up a mirror I have no reflection, no shadow, I'm afloat beyond your world on the edge of beyond...

and there I agree with Tony what observed that part very good with rich vocabulary.

Also the Sanskrit language what you use is pretty good and here mantras are integrated wonderful when you say:

These prayer flags in my memory whisper their mantras to the griffon and the peaks

The end is very strong GL. Karmic rebirth gives dimension of the life after death ( for me )

Formless, painless I drift towards my karmic rebirth .

And yes the very end on this fascinate piece:

With a smile offer a prayer for all sentient beings and know I'm gone...

shows and teaches and it's very wise and philosophic.

Thank you so much for this wonderful write

Aleksandra

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth - Jean Cocteau

History of Macedonia

goldenlangur

Hi Aleksandra,

It's wonderfully rewarding to receive one of these in-depth reviews of yours. You read with a spirit and understanding that reach across geographical and poetical boundaries.

I find it most gratifying that you take trouble to contemplate on the universal significance of the Buddhist motifs:

aleksandra wrote:

The six realms or the six categories of rebirths you expressed so good and on very poetical way in this expression:
the endless silence of this realm

I loved again how you used
bardo
I remember so good on a
intermediate state
or better said ( what I like to use ) -
"in-between state"

The end is very strong GL.
Karmic rebirth
gives dimension of the life after death ( for me )

Aleksandra

Death rites and the belief in finding one's "path" after death to the next rebirth are predominant in our society. I'm grateful that you picked out the image of the dead having no shadow and no reflection - the death rites enact this.

I appreciate that you find some resonance of spirit in this piece.

With gratitude,

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Larsen M. Callirhoe

i love it, talking philosophically about the buddists reflections of people's belief transcends your culture to ours and im happy to embrace this one with warm.. rebirth is so wonderful a mystery. im learning about my past lifes by spirit hosts and they always tell me to be kind to new people in your circle of life. from what i understand of all the infinite spirits out there i dont know if we have ever crossed paths before on earth/gaia realm. so it is an honor to meet people such as you goldenlangur over the internet.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Aleksandra

goldenlangur wrote:

Hi Aleksandra,

It's wonderfully rewarding to receive one of these in-depth reviews of yours. You read with a spirit and understanding that reach across geographical and poetical boundaries.

I find it most gratifying that you take trouble to contemplate on the universal significance of the Buddhist motifs

I appreciate that you find some resonance of spirit in this piece.

Thank you so much Golden. I always read pieces like this with a spirit, because this subject it's deep and I love it, and always I was interesting to learn more and more about this culture and religion. And that's why always in your writing I notice and I go deep inside, in all those Buddhist motifs. And when I read something different from you, it's not usual for me icon_smile.gif because I am used to read special writings ( for my taste icon_wink.gif ) Not that other works by you are not good, just I am saying what gives me a picture of you as a poet.

And yes I agree with Victor, it's a pleasure and an honor to meet people like you.

Thank you for sharing your work on this board

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Aleksandra

And GL I forgot to say before what provoked me to open this poem fast and read it, even I was just for a second on the board. The title I loved. It reminds me of one part of the movie / book " Odyssey ", the moment when his mom was going to dive her self, because can't wait anymore her son who is up to reach Ithaca 10 years long, and when she is entering the sea, she said to the beautiful Penelope ( who was crying so much ) " NO TEARS " . Ah that part works so well so strong and powerful and when I saw your title " Not With Tears " remind me of that.

icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra

History of Macedonia

Accepting the grand order of the universe and understanding your role in it is what this piece gives out to me.

We use a term in Urdu "Razi ba raza": being happy in the will of God believeing that He knows things we don't even think of and that he loves us more than we do oursleves and does things that always help us. Your poem represented this idea of being "Razi ba Raza" to me.

Though the whole poem is lovely I loved the first sentence: "Don't light the butter lamps through tears".

Thanks for sharing Gl.

goldenlangur

Hi Victor,

I reciprocate your thoughts that there is indeed a meeting of spirits across cultures, religions over the internet. Your work, reviews and reflections on life, love, friendship, suffering, overcoming pain and loneliness have been inspirational and I feel deeply moved and honored to meet you too.

This is wonderful:

Larsen M. Callirhoe wrote:

... rebirth is so wonderful a mystery. im learning about my past lifes by spirit hosts and they always tell me to be kind to new people in your circle of life.

victor

Bless you and thank you icon_biggrin.png

with deep appreciation,

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

As you're a published and erudite poet, I'm humbled that you should give me such generous praise.

I'm still learning and your support and encouragement give me hope.

With grateful thanks,

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

goldenlangur

Hi summayya,

What a beautiful concept!:

summayya wrote:

We use a term in Urdu "Razi ba raza": being happy in the will of God believeing that He knows things we don't even think of and that he loves us more than we do oursleves and does things that always help us. Your poem represented this idea of being "Razi ba Raza" to me.

A sense being at peace with oneself is what I get from your magnificent idea of "Razi ba Raza". I cannot thank you enough for your generous compliment. I'm amazed at how this piece brought such an uplifting response!

With appreciation,

goldenlangur

goldenlangur