Poetry Magnum Opus

Clog Ear Nach

dcmarti1

(Intro added back: just a brief bout with ETD, eustachian tube disorder - clicking or crackling in the ear. I figured the situation could use some levity since it is so annoying. It took me too long to go to the doc for the antibiotics; which wear off in the night. The form is the Welsh clogyrnach, hence Clog Ear Nach.)

Inside my head there is a fight

That leaves me void of sleep at night:

My ear infected,

By cure neglected.

Dejected - Till dawn's light.

Rhyme "prison"? :) I love the fact I have learned about these Welsh forms. Their requirements actually crystallize the process, in my case. Tinker is to be appluaded for her ref material on all the forms.

I can certainly do away with the prose intro. Sometimes I feel a poet might need a LITTLE explanation, but if it is forum policy not to do so, I will delete it today.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

i woul have liked to read the intro marti. most forums want the reader to digest the poetry instead of a prose explanation. sighs over that. i enjoyed the poem.

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Intro added back for you, Victor.

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Hi Marti, thanks! you can take it down now. i found it interesting to read. thank you!

victor

Larsen M. Callirhoe

Nothing wrong with an intro (TS Eliot horrified the poetic world with ... gasp ... footnotes!!) especially as it ties in with the pun on poetic form in the title. Lighten up, lads!

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Exactly, eclipse. That's why I mentioned "levity". :)

A bit harsh, my dear badge and eclipse : dcmarti1 is new to the family and still finding his way. He has treated us to a number of traditional Welsh poetical forms which I find rather interesting. Not beguiling, mind you, since I find the formats a wee bit restrictive myself: I dare say they come out better in Cymraeg.Rwy'n hoffi dyn gyda phethau newydd i gynnig!!

Now to tinker a little with the original:

Inside my head there is a fight

That leaves me void of sleep at night:

My ear infected,

By cure neglected.

Dejected I am till early light.

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Must everything fit someone's idea of form and stiff upper lipness? For Christ's sake, take what you want and leave the rest. Did Robert Frost fit the mold of his time? Hardly. Do your own thing and if you believe it, screw the rest. If you wish to demonstrate your knowledge of form, meter and peter, do so, but don't cram it down another's gullet. Write what's true to you or give it up.

;''

You guys must be conspiring to get me to participate more. I take a sabbatical, and the place starts to slide in a direction contrary to its original intent.

Just a few reminders --

People post poems for various reasons. This one happens to be an application of a form showcased in the Reference section. Marti is a new member, and I'm pleased with his enthusiastic participation.

I have never given any member a hard time for not rhyming or rhyming, whether his rhymes are novel or trite. Similarly I have never given any member a hard time for writing metrical or non-metrical verse. Write what you like, do the best you can or want, and let others do the same. Even posting poems for practice is okay (so long as it's in accordance with the rules, of course).

Intros are okay, footnotes are okay, and pictures are okay, too. I consider components like that to be a part of an original work, similar to album art, and often find them interesting in themselves.

Barry, it's nice to see you posting a few replies on others' topics, not just topics and no replies, but your comment is inappropriate in the Member Poetry forum. (It would be okay in the Workshop.) Brendan, your remarks are appreciated and in accordance with the spirit of PMO; thank you.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Hi Marti, The humor of title vs form, footnote and perfectly executed poem is great. I have linked it to the description of the 16th codified Welsh Meter, Clogyrnach in the reference section. Thank you for your acknowlegement of my efforts there.

As for the other stuff, OK Tony said it best. (So much for my helping you out Tony, I haven't been following the comments lately.)

Here is my opinion on footnotes, it is entirely up to the poet. I don't want the poet to explain the poem to me but I love reading footnotes or anacdotes that offer a little insight into the poet's world especially at the time the poem was written.

Of course you all know my position on traditional verse forms. I love it when a poet attempts to write using an ancient frame. It is not only a challenge to the poet's skills but it also connects the reader in a small way to the roots and evolution of language and literature. Variation of established structures happens all of the time even by the masters and stepping outside of the confines of rigid form is common place. Other than when I am specifically writing a poem as an example of a particular structure I believe the content always comes first, the structure second. But when a traditional frame can enrich the content it is a thing of beauty.

This poem made me smile from the title down. What can I say, I am a sucker for tradition and when one can find humor in anything, I am on your side.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com