Little doubt all crews cheered

when crossing the cliffs again,

if they did,

"one sunny day."

Your line:

saved the many

I get it. And

if they did

brings the totality --of death-- into focus. Sharp, critical, slicing, clear.

Another brilliant historical piece, Like Brens piece a voice straight out of history, and the refinement of thinking, from the lines DC pointed out to the conclusive "one sunny day" shows your talents well.

Many Thanks,

Juris

Thank you Marti and the good doctor Con. I tried to capture what air combat was to the people of the moment. This forum is unusual with its informed members. Few in the U.S. are learned in or have any interest about history. I can't help thinking how shallow their lives are. Sad. When I mentioned to our grown children the similarities between modern Ukraine and Sudetenland in the thirties, they all looked at me like I'd had too much to drink. I likely had, but I still remember stuff. I learned more about my country from European history than from any course like "The Civil War." Asian history gave me a completely different view of the world. We no longer teach History here; we teach Social Studies. I firmly believe old Winston saved the western world in both world wars. America always turns inward until some evil bastards bite us in the ass. After the battles, we go back to killing ourselves. Now you've got me started. ;)

Vera Lynn -- and look at the poem she inspired, Franklin. Though I'm not sure if I'm ready for the one titled "Jane Fonda." (Just kidding!) :laugh:

Such a well composed poem. Short and shows so much.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Well, Tony, I'm sure no one wants to read a poem from me about Hanoi Jane. Perhaps John McCain will be inspired to write that one. I'll never forget her giggling while sitting in the gunner's seat of a 23 mm AAA. Those fuckers were shooting at my skinny ass!

Well, we're all glad Hanoi Jane (or the regular gunners) missed! Sorry for using the Paco name in a recent poem but it was merely a passing mark of tribute to a guy I occasionally admire. I'm coming over to the States next month with family to meet family but will be spending the whole time in Texas. Send me your phone number(s) by PM and I'll give you a call.

All the best,

Bren

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Hi St. Bren. I did wonder about the Paco, but just figured it was a name from the past that I didn't know. Thank you. Now a question. Mentioning the names of the two air chiefs seems a little clunky, but I wanted to emphasize the two tactics and people who led by example. But I think the poem does not read smoothly.

• 4 weeks later...

The 'togetherness' of fighting a common enemy and the warmth of Vera Lynn's songs were typical of a time when decency was not seen as a weakness. Sadly as you comment, there are similarities with Ukraine and the Sudetenland. Same old lies-- different faces.. G.

• 1 month later...

The Afrika Korps under Rommel had a great song, too - 'Lili Marlene' It was popular on all sides and was distinctly Non-Nazi! Unlike the murderous campaign in Russia, the African campaign featured radio contacts, prisoner swaps and a general shutdown at 5 pm each day known as "teatime".

As to the air war there is an excellent book by Donald L Miller called "Masters of the Air".

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Air-Americas-Against-Germany/dp/0743235452/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402534245&sr=1-1&keywords=masters+of+the+air+america%27s+bomber+boys+who+fought+the+air+war+against+nazi+germany

Cheers,

Bren

Likely the best book and movie (starring Sir Alec Guinness) about the military culture--at that time--is "Tunes of Glory." Great performances and captures the chain of command thing very well. I have heard "Lili Marlene." Can't remember the movie, but I think it was Judy Garland and Joel Gray. I shall purchase "Masters of the Air," but if I don't like it, you have to pay. Welcome home, brat.

Dame Vera Lynn becomes the oldest living artist at the age of 97 to have a record in the UK top 20. Marking the 70th year of the D- Day landings: an album of her wartime hits. Timeless.

"Timeless". And so is the loyalty of the British public!