dedalus

You cannot believe

the lack of love I received

when I was a lonely kid.

Now I have a proper job

and I wear a tailored suit:

but cannot forget what people did.

I never married,

as I could not discover love for others.

Hence I live alone with my roses..

In addition, I dislike children.

They are frequently noisy and impolite,

and often have runny noses.

I deeply admire the Queen,

to my mind a very superior person,

ruling over our shrinking Empire.

I stand to attention for the National Anthem,

whether in my shorts or in my pajamas.

This is a world to which I aspire!

Drown your sorrows in drink, by all means, but the real sorrows can swim

Your character made reminiscences of the George Orwell era come to mind, along with " good old days" and programmers brainwashing, that accompanies the over abundant period 'sludge' on British t/v. Trouble is that so many people buy into it.

Two world wars with all their woes: an empire lost, vicious right wing ideology currently on the up and up...AND STILL the relentless old arrogances and values survive. I think foreigners must get confused by dated media stereotypes, that portray the typical Englander as living in picturesque villages with luxurious thatched cottages; or towns with dreaming spires where there are no factories or wage slaves. Keep at it my friend . :biggrin: Geoff.

I rather like the UK in a bemused sort of fashion. They held off the Kaiser and the Nazis and have some of the best rock music in the world. On the other hand, they behaved like marauding Huns in Ireland. All of my relationships with British people are on an open, unequivocal, individual level and I must say we get on tremendously. I have no connection or interest in the UK government or state entities, and quite simply ignore them entirely.

In other words, I am not one of these Irish patriots frothing at the mouth and laying the blame for all our woes on Britain. Far from it, in fact! Nevertheless, I am definitely and doubtless Irish.

Cheers, Bren

I think one of the best attributes of poetry is that it acts as a catalyst for each reader to access routes through their own mind. Hopefully, to enjoy the freedom of words and opinions that supersede national boundaries and parochial pedantry. As a reader, it is not always easy to take things at face value...to set aside things at the front one's mind, especially in the place where one hangs one's hat... I suppose to some degree we all tend to see what we are predisposed to see.

Good Health! Geoff

That makes a great deal of sense, Geoff. I often think I use poetry as a form of therapy ....

Because my mind works in mysterious ways, I actually appreciate your choice of a way of life, if you are the confessor, rather than just the narrator. In my nutty way, I believe everyone should be allowed their nutty ways, as long as your nose ends where my nose begins. And your views are completely valid, though a little strange; but that's just my snide view.

I don't set out to be strange, paco, I just frequently get perceived that way. As for valid: often, if not always.

Is Mise, Bren

Humor is masking a deeper subject here. I like the message AND the method. Another good one.....

• 2 weeks later...

I smiled the entire read. Your portrayal of this character is perfectly executed from the word choices and the images to the very correct frame through which you delivered. So nice to observe a master at work.

Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

My goodness, Judi (Tink)! High praise indeed ... which I hardly think I deserve. I just work away at the craft.

Cheers, Bren