and said, "It's OK Honey,
you'll always be safe with me."
                   ~~Judi Van Gorder

Written from prompt, write a memorable childhood event
Another poem about my Uncle Ray,
Can't Keep a Good Man Down

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

This is so vivid that I feel like I've experienced the moment myself. That means it's working. It's a subject I could have never imagined connecting with, yet through the poem I have.

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

Thanks Tony, Unfortunately it is true.  I don't know exactly how old I was but my brother wasn't there so I had to be 3 or under.  We were not at home.  I learned later that my Aunt and Uncle rented someone's converted garage when they were first married.  Pretty much one room with a bathroom with a frosted window in the door.  I had been put to bed in their big bed while the adults were visiting, having a few drinks. My Dad never just had a few drinks.  My childhood really was relatively loving and fun punctuated with a few nights like this one.  But the punctuation is what stands out vividly. 

~~Thanks for reading, Judi

Vivid, indeed. In the re-telling it's almost scary but draws out empathy (pity?) and I mean that in the good sense.

Thanks Marti,  It was over 70 years ago, too bad when I think of my Dad I have work at remembering all the wonderful times of which there were many. But nights like this pop up fresh like they happened yesterday.

Thanks for commenting.   ~~ Tink 

Terry L shuff

A terrified child;    causes one's heart to melt, next , RUN to her , hold her, next GET that person  that caused this !  find out What and why .     My heart goes out to you tink.        terry

Thank you Terry, It was a long time ago. The really sad thing is it happens in all too many homes, to all too many children everyday. It isn't that unusual. When my son worked patrol, domestic violence calls were a daily routine almost always involving alcohol or drugs. He used to carry teddy bears in the trunk of his patrol car. He hated those calls because they always involved family. ~~Tink

Terry L shuff

Iam a Vietram veteran,  a volunteer,  when I was 19,    we were no match, compared to those people. Many people are not prepared for a life like several billion people live.   its difficult to raise tuff people , in a comfortable enviorment. My wife and I are fortunate,  our  chrildren are raised.  oh well I'll get back to my Poetry.   Terry. The next one will be on the lighter side.