Poetry Magnum Opus

On a Starless Night

Tinker

On a Starless Night 

The stars hid their light that chilly night,
 a lone snap of a twig broke the silence
 and her lithe body froze prepared for flight.
 She'd hid him in the brush beside the fence,
 obedient he lay in shrouded allusion
 waiting her return to end his seclusion 

A lone snap of a twig broke the silence
a soft stirring in the grass across the field
warned of a stalker's malignant pretense.
A bobcat crouched using the dark as a shield,
the fur on his back bristled with intent
he lifted a searching nose to catch the scent.

Her lithe body froze prepared for flight
to lead the danger away from the nest
but if the need arose she'd stay and fight,
a mother's heart beat inside her breast.
Earlier she'd left to hide the older twin
within the forest deep with discipline.

She left the younger in brush beside the fence.
too weak at birth, he could not travel far.
Into the twilight he was closeted for defense
in the frigid cold of the night without a star.
The bleating of the fawn betrayed his fear
response from Mama said "I'm near"

Obedient he lay in shrouded allusion,
the doe deftly lunged at the lone threat.
With a snarl the cat snapped back in confusion.
Relentless thrashing razor hooves he met
and finally turned and ran to avoid the fury
through the meadow bloodied and weary.

Waiting her return to end his seclusion
he awkwardly claimed his legs and stood
then took stronger steps to conclusion
She looked him over as a mother would,
a few more steps then she led the way
to where she came, at the dawning of the day.
                                  ~~ Judi Van Gorder

A Trenta Sei

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Thanks Badge,  This is actually 2 different narratives combined.  

I've seen the frightening attack of a doe, not against a bobcat but against my  dogs, a 120 lb wolf hybrid dog and a Keeshound.  She did some damage but I was able to scare her off and reign in the dogs. Her fawn much older than the one in the poem had already left when the dogs showed up. 

A totally different year a doe had twins in my horse pasture late in the day and I watched from my bedroom window while the oldest jumped and played near the doe and the little one was unsteady on his feet.  Then they all disappeared. Later that night I heard bleating and went out with a flashlight and spotted the little fawn nested down in tall grass next to the back of my stable.   I called my neighbor and we kind of set up a vigil, afraid it had been abandoned because of some birth defect, which happens. But we were hoping the doe would return for it.  Sure enough when she felt it was safe the doe returned for her fawn.   Bonnie and I sat in tall grass, silently outside in the freezing cold for hours, far enough away to allow the doe to feel safe should she return but also to play protector if a predator showed up before the doe.  Fox, bobcats, coyotes all roam freely here. Our husbands thought us crazy.  And I think mine was afraid I was about to adopt and raise a baby deer.

~~Tink

Terry L shuff

This Poem applauds motherhood,  In my opinion the strongest bond of love.   Even for the glorious Animal Kingdom, in all of its diverse realms.           Terry

Also enjoyed your narrative with its rhymes. Deer are beautifuland and passive creatures-- does maternal and alert, but nature in the wild has no rules. Only survival.

Great narration.

Tink, I see that you are using a technique of repeating lines in some predetermined formula. Each line of the first stanza appearing as the first line of the stanza equivalent to their numerical sequence in the first stanza. Is this a known poetic form? I think that was clever way to build and link the unraveling of the plot.

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Hi Joel, Yes this is a 20th century verse form, Trenta Sei, created by American poet, John Ciardi. The length and tumbling refrain make it a good vehicle for narrative poetry.  I wrote it in response to a challenge to write a Trenta Sei  from another site. 

You need time to write again, I needed motivation to write again so I found a group to challenge me.  But this is my poetic home.  I'm bringing everything I write back here.  It feels good to be writing after a long hiatus even if not all I write is great, I'm writing.  You have such a lyrical gift, I hope you don't allow your very busy life to put an end to your writing or your photography.  At the core you are an artist and I for one, love reading your stuff.  

~~Tink

ps. It looks like the Lakers are finally going to be able to start rebuilding.  This season may be a turn around for them I hope.

This is a narrative that captures the interest, especially since I've been watching the new season of "Planet Earth" on BBC-A. I believe your account of what happened with these animals, because it's just like it happens on the show!

Tony :biggrin:

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic