Poetry Magnum Opus

"The Lady doth . . . "

Tinker

"The lady doth . . . "

The current climate of "Time's Up", "Me too!"
exposed a wrong against the vulnerable.
A movement hearing voices over due.
They shout with charges indisputable.

Though not exclusively for women wronged.
It seems that most complaints do come from there.
Abusing power, mostly men belonged,
they use their strength, intimidate and snare.

Now many men have fallen in their shame
and many more will follow in their wake.
The line is drawn but not to bring one fame.
A compliment can be just that, no snake.

So don't mistake attraction for abuse
and protest only when there is misuse.
                                  ~~Judi Van Gorder

14 Lines Shakespearean Sonnet

Prompt: Write a Shakespearean Sonnet inspired by "The Lady doth protest too much, methinks."

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 2 weeks later...

The couplet is the cautionary message in all the howl. The turn happened intentionally on the last couplet of S3. Is this how you feel about it, Judi?

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Haha, Joel,. I'm a woman in a traditionally man's career.  At least it was when I began.  I was the first woman in Northern California to become an agent. (Insurance Agency).  Of course I've had my me too moments especially when I was younger.  My first paid job other than baby sitting was bathing suit model for JC Penny's catalogue.   I've had my share of advances, some totally inappropriate.

But I was strong enough to stand up for myself and get myself out various situations.  I even called the police once and for a few moments actually thought I was going to be raped.  It was the only time I was truly scared.  So I support the Me Too movement.  But unfortunately society allowed it, turned away as if they didn't know for generations that many men just thought it iwas Ok.  

Depending on the degree of harassment, I think they are now getting the message it was never OK. And many have cleaned up their approach. Younger men have been brought up to understand it was never OK.  I don't think every advance made by a guy to a woman is harassment but the pendulum has swung too far and some complaints I've heard are just whiney wanna be part of history complaints, real or exaggerated.  Some riding the band wagon.  Some forgivable misunderstandings. Yes I feel we do have to speak up for ourselves.  But it has to be real, there needs to have real harm intended and I'm tired of hearing complaints like "he put his hand on my knee."  Tell him to take his hand off, you are not interested.  Don't wait 10 years and cry to the media.

That is my rant for today.  ~~ Judi

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Judi, I know you, and you have clearly done well for yourself. I think you're proof that everyone is not as easily susceptible as many would claim.

Good use of the sonnet form. Now, if only some attractive women, ages 18-80 would make inappropriate advances toward me. I present my knee ... :blush:

Tony

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic