lending flavor
to the stew pot.

This rare winter snow,
all but forgotten.
              ~~Judi Van Gorder

Note:

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

Tinker, is this what they call a poem about a picture? The theme is carried by the key words - transient, delicate (with alliteration in escalates), melt, fade and forgotten. 

Reminds me of a quote, "beauty does not last forever". With your poem, some are eaten 🙂

"Words are not things, and yet they are not non-things either." - Ann Lauterbach

Hi Joel,  I don't know if it really has a name.  I'm not a photographer but I do have a camera in my phone and I'm trying to use it more.  Last Tuesday's snow did inspire me. First I took the photo.  Then I wrote a quick haiku  which is often my first response to something that moves me. The following day I wrote another haiku about it's disappearance.  I wasn't really thinking to write a longer poem.  But I was thinking about what I might write in my "blog" for Thursday.   Once the blog was written, the poem followed. 

Using a photo as a prompt isn't that unusual.  In this case the poem was inspired by the whole experience, the photo just lent a visual companion.  And it really is just an ordinary bush planted as a permanent herb for cooking.  I also have thyme that thrives year round in my garden.  Other herbs are transient and I replant over and over like basil, oregano, and parsley in a window box in my kitchen.  Once I started cooking with fresh herbs, I found cooking with dried herbs simply is not as satisfying.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 1 month later...