dcmarti1

In a yard fenced in by rotten chain links,
With a rotten water heater standing sentry
Over a just as rotten picnic table,
1903 and 1964 together crack walnuts
To be oven roasted for the squirrels.
They are asked, “Why all the fuss for squirrels?”

Flat is the reply, “Because it's cold.”

I, myself, love squirrels. Around here, we have the gray ones. In Toronto I saw black ones! 

I like how you refer to the participants by their years of birth. It even helps the reader picture their respective generations. Clearly the poem takes place in the past. Otherwise, "1903" would be 116 years old! And I do love their response: "Because it's cold."

Tony 

Here is a link to an index of my works on this site: tonyv's Member Archive topic

1 hour ago, tonyv said:

I, myself, love squirrels. Around here, we have the gray ones. In Toronto I saw black ones! 

I like how you refer to the participants by their years of birth. It even helps the reader picture their respective generations. Clearly the poem takes place in the past. Otherwise, "1903" would be 116 years old! And I do love their response: "Because it's cold."

Tony 

I did not want to say "grandfather" and "grandson". This did happen, and it happened to me in like 1970, 1971. It was sometime after the moon landing in 1969, hence "the great leap". Thanks, Tony!

Marti,  The images in the yard, the rusted out old water heater in the yard, the rotting picnic table the chain link fence are so clear.    I didn't understand the 1902 and 1964 until now and now everything makes sense.   I hear the response of grandfather and grandson  in unison.  What an awesome memory of your grandfather and I love that you were so in sync with him on this.  I like you more every time I read one of your poems.

~~Tink

~~ © ~~ Poems by Judi Van Gorder ~~

For permission to use this work you can write to Tinker1111@icloud.com

• 1 month later...

Yes indeed Marti! Thought this should be bumped up;-) The image was clear as a bell, I felt the cold, saw the squirrels and pictured the time. nice.

Juris